What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New england cps

hey does anybody know of any cps (especially pitcher plants) that are native to new england(or at lease cold hardy) to my area, im in a area that ranges from 5-6a and i know of a place nearby that has pitcher plants growing in the wild, but i have not found them in any nursreys! can anybody send me some seeds or plants? (i prefer established plants). beacause you see i put a pond in my backyard last spring and this year (with my new found intrest in cps) i hope to put in a bog garden next to it with bog plants and hopefully some cps that will survive the winter! i would offer a trade but i dont have any cps except for the lone vft i have so far. can anybody help?

hi! im going to update my info, i have found the pitcher plants that the near by gardening place grows in the wild. they are sarracenia flava, sarracenia leueophylla, sarracenia rubra, and of course any other cp that can go in my bog garden!

S. purpurea ssp. purpurea, D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia, D. filfiormis ssp. filiformis. Check out the NECPS page I think it is www.NECPS.org (New England Cp socitey)

Z5,
sarracenia flava, sarracenia leueophylla, sarracenia rubra
do NOT grow wild in New England!
they cant take the cold..
they are South East USA natives..

although! there have been reports of people sucessfully growing many "southern" CPs outdoors in New England!
(outdoors all year)
including some VFT's in vermont! so it CAN be done..but it requires VERY heavy mulching, and you could lose an entire bog if a winter is particulary harsh..
those outdoor bogs are the exception, not the rule.
personally I wouldnt risk it.
I tried keeping a small bog of S. flava and VFTs outdoors all winter a few years ago..they all died.

the only sarracenia that is native to New england and can definately handle the cold is Sarracenia purpurea.
they grow in the wild all the way up into Canada.
so that one is good.
no other sarracenia grow in the wild north of Virginia..actually I think North Carolina is the northernmost state for the rest of the Sarracenia except S. purpurea.

some drosera (sundews) can also handle the cold.
D. intermedia and D. rotundifolia are northern natives.

to grow all other CPs you need someplace you can provide a COOL winter dormancy but not a FREEZING winter dormancy..
check out this thread to see how I deal with my plants here in Rochester, NY.
I have about the same climate as you.

My Webpage

Scot

Hey Scott,

With the proper mulching, any healthy North American CP can make it through the NE winter. I did a craptacular job mulching my plants last year, and only the few that were sick didn't make it. Ironically, that was the purpurea!

Z5, as someone already mentioned, checkout www.NECPS.org. That's the "local" cp organization (of which I am a member). Don't know how close you are to Providence, RI, but I make the treck from NY a couple times a year.

Tre's suggestions are all good. There are also, I beleive, some pings and utrics that are native, but don't ask me to name them!

schloaty,
yes, I have read a lot about "northlanders" keeping sucessful bogs! and I am anxious to try it myself!
the only reason I havent yet is because I live in an apartment building and dont yet have my own yard!  
smile_h_32.gif

but that will change this year!  
smile.gif

I still wouldnt try it with ALL my plants, but I would make a big outdoor bog and keep maybe 10 plants in that first winter, see how they do..then if it works risk some more plants!
I would still worry about a particulary harsh winter.
we can have spells of a week or two with SUB ZERO temps..
thats cold!
and just the sheer length of our winters are much longer tha the southern Sarrs are used to..
outdoor plants here have no growth at all for 5 solid months.
southern Sarrs are used to 3 months at the most..
but! I know some people have done it!

the ones I tried to keep outdoors were in a "minibog" on my balcony..mulched with leaves, but still...that isnt NEARLY the amount of protection a true bog in the ground would have..
so thats why my experiement failed I think..the bog wasnt in the ground. not enough protection.

have you kept VFTs outdoors in the bog all winter?
scot

cool, cool, all this great! i need as much help prepareing. thnaks for correcting my mistakes whoever mentioned the fact about me being wrong about the pitcher plants in new england, all i know is that they grow all the species i mentioned in a woodland bog and they seem to be doing a good job of it (even if it is a small piece) unfortunatly its dosent seem there are many wetlands around where i live any more (which is marlboro mass. which is about 30 miles west of boston, its a strange place cuz it seems to stradle the zone 5- zone 6 line) its sadens me to see no wetlands! i have a small swamp across of house and it has all the conditions right for cps ( the skunk cabbage seem to like it) but no cps! the only place were i have seen cps in the wild in massachusetts is the place i desribed, its the "garden in the woods" in sudbury(which is right next to me) and is matained by the new england wild flower society and they seel wild flowers at there gardens but never any cps! only seeds (and they only sell them for a short amount of time and have limited amounts) i will take the advice and i will check out the necps. one qestion, of the cps that are native in new england, do any of you have any of you have any of them? one more thing, i know im talking alot( excited teenage newbie) and im soory if i talk to much, just intrested in this stuff (its like some sort of plant drug!

Talk all you want, Z5.  I do grow some of the native species, as you asked.  Infact, I have (or had before winter....Sping will tell if I still have them, lol) D. rotundifolia, D. filliformis and S. purpurea ssp. purpurea (from Mass, beleive it or not).  I had D. intermedia, but I think it bit the bullet....who know?  Maybe it will be back come spring.

Scotty, that's cool that you're getting a yard. I had a garden back at the condo, but it was enough to experiment last year with mulching my window box-bog. I wouldn't worry about the temps....All my VFT's survived the winter, mulched under a measly 3" of REPTILE BEDDING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD (not recommended). We had a cold spell like you wouldn't beleive last winter....One night hit -35 (wind chill I think, but STILL...what a night to loose your heat...), and they made it. The purpurea died, but it was almost dead in the fall anyway. The flava made it ok, and so did the <common hybrid who's name escapes me right now>, but that fell victim to some blight or other over the summer.
I do think the idea of using just a few plants the first year is a good one.

Dave, What happened to that beautiful moorei you got from me?? Is it well? Have you put it outside to try it in the bog garden?

um could any body help a newbie out and perhaps give me a free plant? i know, i know, its alot to ask, trust me if i had something to trade, i would! but unless ur intrested in a lone vft(my first and only cp) or other plants, i dont have anything to offer. also i want you guys to share ur wealth of knowelge! i am a spunge, i need to get ready to grow cps, for the summer, prepare for my bog garden(id like to get some cps, before i put the garden in) also, can i put the cps in with other bog plants like irises and others or should i seperate them with a liner?

Hello Z5 -

Where are you located? The NECPS (www.NECPS.org) meetings are usually the 2nd Saturday of the month and there really are some terrific and rare plants to be snapped up there. Just last Saturday, the topic was taking Nepenthes cuttings and everyone who wanted one went home with a N. alata cutting! Many of the people carpool so let someone know if you would like a ride.

If you would like more info, the NECPS will have a booth at this weekends Rhode Island Flower & Garden Show in Providence, Rhode Island. Because it's an informative booth (with a lesser fee than a commercial one) we are not allowed to sell plants at the show.

Bug,

It's still sleeping.  Did just fine last year on the front stoop...However, my sunlight was limmited to about 5 or 6 hours.  I'll get at least 8 or 9, hopefully more (don't know how far the trees' shadows will go) direct, blazing sun this year.  I haven't put in the bog yet....Have you ever tried diggin frozen ground?  Not for this guy!

Z5,
It's generally frowned upon for people ask for free stuff...Though we'll let it slide since you're new
smile_m_32.gif

If you troll the trade forum, there are often giveaways when people's stock just explode from a good seed collection, or whatever.

frowned upon? i thought that was part of it? (of course for the people who r experinced they trade) and to get back on subject can anybody answer some of my qestions? one more thing, bill im located in marlboro massachusetts which is 15 minutes east of wocester.

frowned upon? i thought that was part of it? (of course for the people who r experinced they trade) and to get back on subject can anybody answer some of my qestions? one more thing, bill im located in marlboro massachusetts which is 15 minutes east of wocester.

opps! sry bout the double post!

Hey Z5, don't misunderstand me. We here at PFT highly encourage acts of altruism! However, we ask that people don't ask for free stuff for a couple of reasons: 1) Some poeple in the past have abused this (50 post from the same person asking for free stuff and all) and 2) it starts to sound like begging.

The best way to get free stuff, which you certainly can, is to wait until you see offers in the trade forum. Then, you can jump on it, and jump on it with gusto!

Hello,

Just wanted to say that you're not the only Massachusetts grower out there. I live in Fitchburg Mass and work in N. Grafton.
I have no trouble growing CP's with either mulching or taking plants in to the cold cellar. Another NECPS member grows in Dracut Mass. I find the high temps in summer with high humidity allows you alot of flexibility in what you grow. Just have to be willing to mulch in the fall!!

Actually I bought my Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurpea from the Garden in the Woods so they do occasionally have cp's for sale (honest didn't buy them out). Think it was $7.00 for a very healthy plant. I split the division last fall so could send you a freebie if you like.

Sorry got to run but feel free to drop me an email and address so I can send out the plant.

Regards,
Kirk Martin
Fitchburg Mass

Thanks for all who posted!

Back