Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Myths

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]they're typically almost useless in predicting the behavior of the next person you meet. People aren't statistics
    well, those things are how the average male/female is like. Of course there are differences and you can't predict how someone will act just because of their sex. I don't think anyone is saying you can.
    There have been many stuides that show that ON AVERAGE males are better at certain things than females and viceversa. Male and female brains do work differently... for example there was this study where they had a boy and a girl toddlers and their moms put them in a room and then went behind a barrier. The girls (they're toddlers so they don't have this notion of how they're supposed to behave certain ways because of their gender) usually cried so that their mom would come and get them, and the boys stood up and went and tried to figure out how to get past the barrier. (later in life that doesn't happen though :P...)
    another example of gender differences is like with stories... and I've noticed it myself... women GENERALLY give you TONS of details (my mom!!! ... I don't really want to know about the little towels in the office... and there she is telling me all about them LOL) but men are more to the point.
    but of course I'm not saying every fe/male is like that. For example I also like to rant a lot... :P (as many people have noticed)
    and I do think that males are less likely to ask for help... I HATE asking for help but my female friens will ask for help at any little thing :P
    Quote[/b] ]Thats complete rubbish, bats have very good eyesight.
    well, it depends on the species of bat. I wouldn't say the nocturnal ones have very good eyesight. they're by no means blind but I think saying they have a very good eyesight is an overstatement.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    site
    personally I think some things ARE myths and that they're caused by society but others, like boys playing rogh while girls play nice are true. That is because we're predisposed to be like that (..this is coming from a guy that has never had a fist fight in his whole life... I've never been physically aggressive at all... nor liked sports.. but there are always exceptions) because of evolution. Men were the hunters and needed to be aggressive and need to be good with directions (to come home and not get lost) while the females have been the gatherers and nurturers and have to have good communication skills etc...

By the way... I'm not saying one sex is in any way (well... personally I think being able to pee while standing up is a big plus LOL) better than the other or that just because you're fe/male you will act a certain way. after all, I've never been your typical boy (oy... please don't twist my words and get the wrong meaning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know someone will though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] )
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Male and Female Brains Are Different
    In my mind (pun intended), I believe its more nature than nurture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 16 2005,6:31)]Men were the hunters and needed to be aggressive and need to be good with directions (to come home and not get lost) while the females have been the gatherers and nurturers and have to have good communication skills etc...
    alpha let me just say this you are treding on thin ice here and are making alot of assumptions with these statements. also alot of what we see as typical male or typical female behavior is culturally shaped. the not asking for help thing is mostly a western(prob. american) concept. in other cultures it is prefectly acceptable for a man to ask for help with something or ask for directions. you have to remove culture from people(which is very very unethical) in order to study this fully.

There are a few inherent differences in male and female brains, like size, but interms of true cognition there is not differnce.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think myths are fun as long as you know it's a myth! Anyone here watch the "mythbusters" show on the Discovery Channel? They use scientific methods to prove or disprove urban legends.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definatly like old myths better. Like the Greek ones and Norse (My favorite). I cannot stand moralistic ones (IE in my opinon "Chiristian" ones that refer to that religion).

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bats being blind is not a myth. They use sonar not vision combined with sense of smell. They send out a signal and their brain interprets what the signal "looks" like based on its timing, frequency, etc...

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] also alot of what we see as typical male or typical female behavior is culturally shaped.
    I know culture is a big part, but fe/males are naturally better at some things that I would think don't have anything to do with culture. Like the fact that men are usually (again... not everyone I know! I get lost very easily... my mom is better than me at that) better with keeping a mental map than females. In today's society, how is that culturally imposed? I'm sure everybody, no matter what their sex is, would love to never get lost.
    I also think that many things (such as the relationship of religion and ethics) both make each other. I think that the culture is the way it is because of those differences but the culture just makes those differences more obvious...and sometimes outright extreme. it's like mutual symbiosis... which evolved first? the fungus or the algae (in a lichen)? (ok... not the greatest example but I'm not good with examples), neither... both evolved with each other and made each other what they are. I think it's the same with gender differences and culture (and ethics and religion)
    Quote[/b] ]Bats being blind is not a myth. They use sonar not vision combined with sense of smell. They send out a signal and their brain interprets what the signal "looks" like based on its timing, frequency, etc...
    yes it is... they're like dolphins. They both use echolocation but that doesn't mean they're blind.
    echolocation is made by emitting high pitched noises (with their mouth, blowhole passage thing, etc) and then listening for their echos (with their ears). Echolocation doesn't take the place of sight.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast