What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Myths

Ancient myths are facinating and interesting, i have looked over them quite a bit, from all over the world, and its come in handy

like in the argument about evilution, my statement that contrary to what someone asid, most cultures dont have a myth in wich the entire world is destroyed

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 17 2005,3:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Infants have been shown to have differences in behavior at a young and tender age, preceding much environmental influence. One study reported that the least sensitive female infant may be more sensitive than even the most sensitive male. Female infants appear more sensitive to noise and are also more social. "They are more inclined to "gurgle" at people and to recognize familiar faces than baby boys" (8). The behavioral differences between infants of different sexes appear very early in life, indicating that the mechanism controlling these behavioral patterns is innate and not learned from society.
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro03/web2/asingh.html
"random" site- http://www.womens-health.org/hs/facts_brain.htm
hmm.. I had never heard of the  ability to listen to multiple stories at once study.

I can't find the link right now... I'll post it later
thank you i enjoyed that biased paper(this was not aimed at you but i just saw the bias jumping off the page here), i see no mention of any literature that disuades that arguement, and plus it is a paper written by a student, who is not an expert. and some of the links are just papers from the same site, not an outside published respected scientific journal.

multiple stories thing i dont remeber where i read that one at, but basicly women were better at listening to more than one story and keeping them seperate while men just created one big story with all that stuff happening in it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 17 2005,3:50)]Ancient myths are facinating and interesting, i have looked over them quite a bit, from all over the world, and its come in handy

like in the argument about evilution, my statement that contrary to what someone asid, most cultures dont have a myth in wich the entire world is destroyed
how many cultures are you consdering most?

most- greek, inca norce, druid, celtic, oriantal, arborigane, a good precentage of native american tribes

as in more than 50%

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 17 2005,4:09)]most- greek, inca norce, druid, celtic, oriantal, arborigane, a good precentage of native american tribes
ok first off oriantal? who are they where are they from. did you mean oriental as in people from asia, in which you would be wrong because alot of asian traditions have myths that do include the destruction of the earth. you just have to go back before china conquored most of asia to find them. aborigane mearly means native, so are you talking about australian abrogianes? what families of native american tribes are you talking about i know in the southwest that alot of tribes have beliefs that follow the maya or aztec creation and destruciton cycles. and i only see 7+ some native american tribes, i know for a fact that on papua new guine there are over one hundred cultures how many of their myths do you konw? i know many of htem include a destruction myth. what about hindu, they have a god of destruction(who destroys the world). like said before aztec, maya, alot of indigenous african tribes, i actully think finch more groups do have a myth where the world is destroyed than don't.

your over genralizing here finch, although some belief systems dont that does not mean that the majority of them dont. also i think treating the greek and norse as one homogenous group is very dangerous as they have shown a great deal of variation in terms of beliefs and deities.

myths about distruction of the earth but not as specific as the distruction of teh eath by floods and only two people are left sort of statement that was originaly stated,

distruction of the earth- yes, most cultures have them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 16 2005,9:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 17 2005,2:53)]and like john and I pointed out, at least one of the studies was made on toddlers who couldn't even talk. (that's why they cried... the ones that did). They're young and don't have preconcieved notions about how they should behave. It's no coincidence that babies act according to the "stereotypes" or is that not proof? what kind of proof do you need now?
different responses to child by parents. it has been shown in western nations that boys as they grow older get a differnt response from their parents for crying than girls do. Children learn from the minute they are born(some say earlier, but im not gonna go into that) you make it sound like they dont start learning until they start to talk, in which case it must just all of a sudden pop into a child head "oh, this is how to talk".

and im not trying to say that the difference is totally cultural either, but im saying that culture has a huge influnce on people. it is probably a some of both cultural and biological, and neither can be counted out.
well... of course culture has an influence on people... culture is what shapes you! There is still this little thing called human instinct that we have regardless of our culture, no matter what you are.
Male and female brains DO differ.
http://www.abqjournal.com/paperbo....htm?rrc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 17 2005,4:22)]argh! I can't find the site... but here: site
interesting article, like i said before though they have found a difference in strtucture and this article also says it but skirts around the fact by wording it funny, this does not result in differnt cognitive ablities and it does not explain the genral types of difference that is found in most western societies.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Feb. 17 2005,4:34)]Male and female brains DO differ.
i never said they didnt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 17 2005,4:30)]myths about distruction of the earth but not as specific as the distruction of teh eath by floods and only two people are left sort of statement that was originaly stated,

ok well thats a differnt statement, i never said that was true either.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 16 2005,10:38)]this does not result in differnt cognitive ablities and it does not explain the genral types of difference that is found in most western societies.
It does result in different cognitive abilities, read the article i posted. Who is talking about western societies? We are arguing if men and women differ enough to respond or act differently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 17 2005,4:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Male and female brains DO differ.

i never said they didnt.
then why the heck are we arguing?
im not sure, i just felt like you guys were not giving the idea of culture having an effect on the brain and actions that people take enough credit. im not saying there is no difference and i guess my statements where not clearly worded if thats what you felt i was trying to say.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Feb. 17 2005,4:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 16 2005,10:38)]this does not result in differnt cognitive ablities and it does not explain the genral types of difference that is found in most western societies.
It does result in different cognitive abilities, read the article i posted. Who is talking about western societies? We are arguing if men and women differ enough to respond or act differently.
i guess you took what i meant by cognitive differences as something other than i intended. what i meant by that is there is no advantage to one or the other interms of what can be taught and achived by them. going differnt routes to achive the same goal still results in the same end product, which to me means there is no cognitive difference, only a operational difference between the brains.

oy... I even said that I think one shapes the other. the differences in sex shape culture and culture shapes the differences in sex.

myth - real men dont cry

its a myth but of course id never let enyone see me cry if i did, thad be a sing of weakness, and that would make me sick

a odd myth amoung some females is the beleif that big nose/feet/ears/hands big u-know what

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 16 2005,10:55)]myth - real men dont cry

its a myth but of course id never let enyone see me cry if i did, thad be a sing of weakness, and that would make me sick

a odd myth amoung some females is the beleif that big nose/feet/ears/hands big u-know what
big tissue/socks/earmuffs/gloves?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 16 2005,10:30)]myths about distruction of the earth but not as specific as the distruction of teh eath by floods and only two people are left sort of statement that was originaly stated,

Actaully it wasn't two people, but for you sake I will say that it was supposedly more than two people. As for world destruction by flood or natural disaster it couldve happened it could not have happened. There is no way for sure to know.

It is evolution that states that a meteor(sp) destroyed the dinosaurs right? I'm just asking, I'm not making a point, I've just always wondered. Did it destroy the world, or just cause whatever it was to kill the dinosaurs off?

Back to myths: DaRnit.... I had one and then I forgot it!!!!!! Don't ya hate when that happens. As for the myth about women getting lost in there own house. That would be a REALLY big house!!!!
smile_n_32.gif
I have gotton lost in my house, but I wasn't awake enough so I had a good excuse.

Back