Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Myths

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ancient myths are facinating and interesting, i have looked over them quite a bit, from all over the world, and its come in handy

like in the argument about evilution, my statement that contrary to what someone asid, most cultures dont have a myth in wich the entire world is destroyed
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 17 2005,3:41)]
    Quote[/b] ]Infants have been shown to have differences in behavior at a young and tender age, preceding much environmental influence. One study reported that the least sensitive female infant may be more sensitive than even the most sensitive male. Female infants appear more sensitive to noise and are also more social. "They are more inclined to "gurgle" at people and to recognize familiar faces than baby boys" (8). The behavioral differences between infants of different sexes appear very early in life, indicating that the mechanism controlling these behavioral patterns is innate and not learned from society.
    http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neur...b2/asingh.html
    "random" site- http://www.womens-health.org/hs/facts_brain.htm
    hmm.. I had never heard of the ability to listen to multiple stories at once study.

I can't find the link right now... I'll post it later
    thank you i enjoyed that biased paper(this was not aimed at you but i just saw the bias jumping off the page here), i see no mention of any literature that disuades that arguement, and plus it is a paper written by a student, who is not an expert. and some of the links are just papers from the same site, not an outside published respected scientific journal.

multiple stories thing i dont remeber where i read that one at, but basicly women were better at listening to more than one story and keeping them seperate while men just created one big story with all that stuff happening in it.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 17 2005,3:50)]Ancient myths are facinating and interesting, i have looked over them quite a bit, from all over the world, and its come in handy

like in the argument about evilution, my statement that contrary to what someone asid, most cultures dont have a myth in wich the entire world is destroyed
    how many cultures are you consdering most?
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most- greek, inca norce, druid, celtic, oriantal, arborigane, a good precentage of native american tribes
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as in more than 50%
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 17 2005,4:09)]most- greek, inca norce, druid, celtic, oriantal, arborigane, a good precentage of native american tribes
    ok first off oriantal? who are they where are they from. did you mean oriental as in people from asia, in which you would be wrong because alot of asian traditions have myths that do include the destruction of the earth. you just have to go back before china conquored most of asia to find them. aborigane mearly means native, so are you talking about australian abrogianes? what families of native american tribes are you talking about i know in the southwest that alot of tribes have beliefs that follow the maya or aztec creation and destruciton cycles. and i only see 7+ some native american tribes, i know for a fact that on papua new guine there are over one hundred cultures how many of their myths do you konw? i know many of htem include a destruction myth. what about hindu, they have a god of destruction(who destroys the world). like said before aztec, maya, alot of indigenous african tribes, i actully think finch more groups do have a myth where the world is destroyed than don't.

your over genralizing here finch, although some belief systems dont that does not mean that the majority of them dont. also i think treating the greek and norse as one homogenous group is very dangerous as they have shown a great deal of variation in terms of beliefs and deities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    argh! I can't find the site... but here: site
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    myths about distruction of the earth but not as specific as the distruction of teh eath by floods and only two people are left sort of statement that was originaly stated,

distruction of the earth- yes, most cultures have them.
    that makes no logic

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast