Thread: Myths

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 16 2005,9:34)]
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 17 2005,2:53)]and like john and I pointed out, at least one of the studies was made on toddlers who couldn't even talk. (that's why they cried... the ones that did). They're young and don't have preconcieved notions about how they should behave. It's no coincidence that babies act according to the "stereotypes" or is that not proof? what kind of proof do you need now?
    different responses to child by parents. it has been shown in western nations that boys as they grow older get a differnt response from their parents for crying than girls do. Children learn from the minute they are born(some say earlier, but im not gonna go into that) you make it sound like they dont start learning until they start to talk, in which case it must just all of a sudden pop into a child head "oh, this is how to talk".

and im not trying to say that the difference is totally cultural either, but im saying that culture has a huge influnce on people. it is probably a some of both cultural and biological, and neither can be counted out.
    well... of course culture has an influence on people... culture is what shapes you! There is still this little thing called human instinct that we have regardless of our culture, no matter what you are.
    Male and female brains DO differ.
    http://www.abqjournal.com/paperbo....htm?rrc
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 17 2005,4:22)]argh! I can't find the site... but here: site
    interesting article, like i said before though they have found a difference in strtucture and this article also says it but skirts around the fact by wording it funny, this does not result in differnt cognitive ablities and it does not explain the genral types of difference that is found in most western societies.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Feb. 17 2005,4:34)]Male and female brains DO differ.
    i never said they didnt.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 17 2005,4:30)]myths about distruction of the earth but not as specific as the distruction of teh eath by floods and only two people are left sort of statement that was originaly stated,

distruction of the earth- yes, most cultures have them.
    ok well thats a differnt statement, i never said that was true either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Male and female brains DO differ.

i never said they didnt.
    then why the heck are we arguing?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 16 2005,10:38)]this does not result in differnt cognitive ablities and it does not explain the genral types of difference that is found in most western societies.
    It does result in different cognitive abilities, read the article i posted. Who is talking about western societies? We are arguing if men and women differ enough to respond or act differently.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Feb. 17 2005,4:45)]
    Quote[/b] ]Male and female brains DO differ.

i never said they didnt.
    then why the heck are we arguing?
    im not sure, i just felt like you guys were not giving the idea of culture having an effect on the brain and actions that people take enough credit. im not saying there is no difference and i guess my statements where not clearly worded if thats what you felt i was trying to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Feb. 17 2005,4:47)]
    Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Feb. 16 2005,10:38)]this does not result in differnt cognitive ablities and it does not explain the genral types of difference that is found in most western societies.
    It does result in different cognitive abilities, read the article i posted. Who is talking about western societies? We are arguing if men and women differ enough to respond or act differently.
    i guess you took what i meant by cognitive differences as something other than i intended. what i meant by that is there is no advantage to one or the other interms of what can be taught and achived by them. going differnt routes to achive the same goal still results in the same end product, which to me means there is no cognitive difference, only a operational difference between the brains.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast