Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Where do you stand in reguards to:

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was then this is now. We are responsible for the now not the "way back when....."

It is no more right than if we forced Iraqis to learn English because we are in their country. If you come to make a change for yourself then by all means but if you come to make change for me then leave cause "I AM NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR CHANGE" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif[/img]

jOE
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe every school district could offer Spanish, German, Swahili, Thai, Bulgarian, Tagalog, and any other language a student might choose. Kids should learn another language and Spanish & French are the most sensible choices.

It seems pretty clear that schools should teach history or, better still, students should pay attention. The US is a nation of immigrants and, as one group after another arrived, people whose families had been here more than a generation or two got upset about the newcomers. The new ones looked different, acted different, and often didn't know English. A couple generations later, descendents of Germans and French Canadians and Russians and Japanese and Mexicans are English-speaking Americans.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that many have been a couple generations and still don't know more than hello, thank you, Yes , No, etc....and many even less than that. You are right though about the early days and immigrants but back then it was also an unspoken respect that you learn the customs and language, culture of your new home.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Feb. 20 2005,12:04)]That was then this is now. We are responsible for the now not the "way back when....."
    Uh, ok. Some don't even wait until "way back when..." to start complaining though. You're absolutely correct in saying that the current generation isn't responsible, and I should indeed continue darning Columbus' soul (what really ticks me off is that people just forget just WHO first died for the United States' freedom). Having said that, do you accept letting things go their course? Seems not, and I'm against forced learning without prior agreement as well (we can't help but feel disturbed by our acquainted ambient being modified, however slow the process).
    Then again forced learning isn't just happening in schools through languages etc. It happens at birth. How'd a parent react if his/her child refused to go to church at all costs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a great Russian Aunt. She spoke eight languages fluently: Russian, English, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Portugese and Latin. Yes, she spoke Latin (the dead language) and she taught all of these as well. I admired that ability greatly. In school, I was given the choice to take French, Spanish, German or Latin. I choose Latin, which I regreted at the time but that turned out to be a good choice since I am in the plant industry. However, I wish I had taken a Romantic language instead (Spanish, French, Italian) which English draws a lot of it's derivations from. I understand some Spanish and Italian because I took Latin. And it has helped me with my English. When I went to school, languages were taught to broaden your mind and make you better educated. I wish I had the time to learn one now. (you can read in here,"He's lazy") You would think Spanish since my last name is Garcia. I would learn two, Spanish and Italian.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I'm lazy, I'm probably going to choose Spanish as my foreign language course I need to do.. if I wasn't so lazy, I'd choose Latin, just because I like to be ironic.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anecdote: In the movie called, "The Day After Tomorrow", the US President dies and the formerly anagonistic VP found himself in the ironic position of asking the Mexican people for permission to enter Mexico, to survive the sudden ice age. Ya think the Americans are going to learn Mexican Spanish?

As Amercians who have grown up in this culture, we take many things for granted. One of them is the English language. However, when immigrants from non-English speaking countries come here, they are in culture shock,in many ways. They have tended to congregate in cities and neighborhoods within cities of others from their former country, as a survival technique. I saw sections of Vietnamese & Puerto Ricans, banding together in order to survive. Their children had the cultural aspects of survival a lot easier. They naturally heard the one language at home and English everywhere else.

While it would be desirable for immigrants to learn English, we still need to be compassionate toward those whose language and culture is radically different from what they've known all their lives. You just don't tell a 60 year old Vietnamese, "Learn English, you idiot!"

If you, as a born and raised American went to China, wouldn't you seek out other Americans or English speaking people? Wouldn't you feel just a bit out of place in a foreign (to you) country? Wouldn't you appreciate something in English or help from Chinese citizens?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Funny, I don't hear the majority of Americans speak Odolwan, Lakota, Cheyenne, Oneida etc.
    Heck, I sure wouldn't mind learning those languages, in fact if they were offered I would- my schtick is that they offer 2 languages one of which is thoroughly useless here and the teacher is bad. Chines, Japanese, Latin- if they offered anything likethat I'd be complaining a lot less. The problem isn't even that it isn't offered, it's that I CAN'T even take them when I need them for school due to age restrictions.

Quote[/b] ]If you, as a born and raised American went to China, wouldn't you seek out other Americans or English speaking people? Wouldn't you feel just a bit out of place in a foreign (to you) country? Wouldn't you appreciate something in English or help from Chinese citizens?
    It sure would be appreciated, and if there's someone doesn't speak English, I help them to the best of my extent -I'm in my third year of learning-, that's not the problem. Think, would it really be fair for you to move to China and NEVER learn Chinese?

Quote[/b] ]"Learn English, you idiot!"
    It's funny and ironic, that TOTALLY sounds like my Spanish teacher. Furthermore, for myself, I said there are some cases where it isn't possible, if you need to work all day just to scrape a living, I don't expect you to pay to go to classes, if you're elderly or otherwise lack the capacity, that's fine, but when people with plenty of opporatunity don't learn it just because it's more convenient for them, that's just being selfish.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast