Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Usa national territory!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello there guys! Well I have seen that this has started a good debate. All I anted was to let know to those that didn’t that Puerto Rico is not a foreign country and that when you ship plants or anything here is the same than shipping to the states, and that we are under the USA national territory. But since there are too many interesting questions and several interesting argument, let’s keep on with the conversation.

Yes, rattler_mt, there are more difference, but at first look that is a good summary. About the vote in the Senate and the Congress, we do not have Senators or congressmen. We have is a “Comisionado rescidente” or “Resident Commissioner” who is our represent man in the Congress. He or she can vote, but this is a strange vote. His or her vote is not formally valid, only as a voice that must be heard. And the right to vote it is not extended to any notation in the Congress, but to specific matters. This Resident Commissioner is a federal deputy, which must go thru an election process here in PR.

About the branches of our federal government that have power over the territories. Let me tell you that all our state government must go first thru the federal branches. And mostly the Department of Education which is the one that rules our schools, collages and universities. Obviously this is because all territories are as rattler_mt said: US property.

I know this is a very strange and difficult situation, and describe it is stranger and more difficult, but the best way to se this is as PlantAKiss said:

“Commonwealth has a different meaning in reference to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, which is not a state. Puerto Rico is a self-governing territory of the U.S. The people of Puerto Rico are U.S. Citizens, but they don’t have the right to vote in federal elections.”

As I said before. Please, notice that USA is bigger than we all think. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.R. still has issues in their debate at whether statehood is in their best interests. Do you see it becoming a State eventually?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Jimscott, PR has a lot of issues that need to be solved, as well as the Congress to get a conclussion to this matter, whether statehood, independences or keep on with the same actual system, but here are the real options.

To keep with the same actual system is not an option, it is getting old and obsolet, it does not function anymore. Independence is something that only a small group wants here( less than 4% of the population), and obviously the only natural and reasonable option is statehood, for both, PR and the Congress, which will be the one that will have the last word, I mean the Congress.

And I guess the end of all this matter will come before these next 4 years. So after 107 years of this same issue, it will get a conclussion real soon.

So, we will ahve to wait a little more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah so i see im confused, nothing unusual about that. maybe my confution about the Department of Education came in from something else? i wonder if PR schools arent held to the same standards as US schools as far as the US Gov't is concerned? did the No Child Left Behind Act affect PR schools? i think last i saw the literacy rate in PR was far lower than the states but IIRC we were talking about this in a history class or something which would make the data im thinking of 10 years old give or take a few years. thanks for the info. i hadnt actually thought about this in awhile. nice to update my facts.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12