What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you get benifits?

• Thread starter firewired
  • Start date
I was just curious who gets benifits with their jobs here. The only benefits I get is that they pay for half of my health insurance.

nope, not really other than flexible work hours anytime other than tuesday or wednesday. if the Montana legislature changes some laws this year ill get health insurance. right now its rather difficult for a buissiness of 11 employees to afford a group plan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Feb. 20 2005,11:27)]nope, not really other than flexible work hours anytime other than tuesday or wednesday. if the Montana legislature changes some laws this year ill get health insurance. right now its rather difficult for a buissiness of 11 employees to afford a group plan.
only 11 employees? what do you do?

weekly newspaper and printshop. i was hired to run presses but as with any small buisness i know how to do 90% of the whole works: typesetting, ad selling and design, layout, darkroom work, photography, writing ect. ect. ect. on top of my running jobwork which consists of everything from letterheads and envelopes to booklets to posters and tickets for local events.

We get benefits. Our company has med, dental, and optical, plus 401K with some matching. With 20 employees.

Companies making money need to kick down to the employees!

Capslock

I have a Blue Cross HMO plan through work. The shop where I work employs about 12 people. I pay about $48 a month for insurance. It allowed me to get surgery after putting up with constant pain for 10 years (long story).
The employers don't offer dental though, and it's too bad cause almost everyone I know has dental problems.
Actually I haven't seen a dental plan ANYWHERE that's worth a darn. Why can't someone come up with a dental plan that works like a regular medical plan...$20 copay for office visits, etc.
confused.gif

I gets nothin! Seriously, none so my kids have KidConnection but me and the misses just don't visit the doc. I must admit though I got layed off for a little while and I got insurance from the state and thats how I got my new teeth, thats gone now though. Dental is junk here too, I don't get any from work and friends say the same or they don't enroll the dental cause sometimes it's cheaper to just put the money a month in a jar and use as needed. Hell, my ma works for Physicians Mutual and they have some of the worst for companies who pretend to offer something. I had great insurance when I worked for the Public School System though.

Joe

Capslock, sure this company is making money but not that kind of money. have you ever seen premiums for a group rate for a small group? its unreal, like over $500 per person after you figure in the extra taxes for decent insurance that is worth paying for. that would be $5000 a month, we are probably making that after payroll and taxes and loan payment on building and the shop truck on an average month. leaves very lil for improvements to the buisness. my fiance is the manager of the paper i work at so i do know what money is coming in, the paper cant afford to provide health insurance. BUT there is a law trying to work its way through the state legislature that will allow small companies like us to get in with larger groups. should it pass it would mean we would most likely join with other Montana Newspaper Assosiation members who are in similar situations as us allowing us to be part of a much larger group there for better and more affordable rates. had we been able to purchase a neighboring paper we would have doubled our staff and been able to afford the premiums as it would have knocked them down quite a bit but it got sold out from under us. i have seen all the numbers. its really not feasible for the company to provide health insurance currently but hopefully that will change this year.

It's ridiculous that the legislature needs to do something before small companies can join in larger groups to get better insurance rates.

i agree Bruce but thats the way it is and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

I have today off as one of the benefits of working for the state. Shouldn't the rest of you be working?

no skool

Heheh, we have work off too, but only because we worked the last 14 days straight before this weekend. I totally agree that small business should be able to get the same rates as anyone else. Individuals, too, for that matter.

At our company, we found that it's much easier to self-insure for the dental program. We cover up to $1500/year with a $50 deductible for dental, and it's much much cheaper for us to do it ourselves than through any available dental plans.

Capslock

My department offers medical, dental, plus 401K with matching, working up to 100% after nine years of service. Between Medical and Dental it cost me about $280 a month.  The town picks up the rest.  I do pay 20% of cost after that.

Three people where I work,the boss,me and another guy.No insurance,no dental, nothing,well if you include workmans comp,that realy is nothing!But thats another story.My wife works for a doctor so we get most of this for free but we still have to pay for perscriptions and such.We have Peach Care for the kids through the state which is good.

Jerry

i have medical, dental, vision 401k with a match, and even a shoe reimburstment.

tech

it's too bad there's not more for benifits these days. I always thought that most jobs gave real good benefits, but I can see how it would be tough for smaller companies to afford them.

I get everything. These guys really take care of me! Don't get as much money in my actual paycheck as I could elsewhere....BUT I get medical (which I don't use, I'm on my wife's plan), 401(k) with 3% match, a defined benefit plan AND stock options.

I'm a chef... the only benifits I get are free booze at the end of the night.

Back