Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my situation. I just got a graphic design job right here in town. It seems like a pretty nice job, very nice people. I am getting $8 an hour right now and they don't want me working any more than 20 hours per week. There's one other place in town here that is rumored to be a great graphic design place. So.......I'm thinking about still trying to get into there. Part of me wants to do that, and another part of me wants to stay here where I know everyone, and try to make this company better.

I don't suppose there is any harm in checking with the other company, even if it is only to see what kind of benifits and pay that they offer. Just curious what your thoughts were.

- Joel
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never hurts to know your options. Companies let go of people all the time so why not know whether you could leave of your own accord.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never stop looking, but don't neccissarily jump ship for small change in your compensation... loyalty is honored by most companies. But if there is a chance at full time employment, yeah, never stop looking.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's your talent you're selling, not your loyalty and for $8/hr graphic design? No way-that sucks you could work at the gas station overnights and make more! People get $50 an hour for designer/illustrators on the freelance circut (more or less charged by the job). You should definately get a website up and start bothering companies with your portfolio/resume. A posted resume on Monster.com doesn't hurt! You can put together a nice photo/print folder with biz card, background (past clients/jobs/etc) and about 3-5 samples of your very best work by mail or by directing them to your website to view a virtual portfolio where they can choose any number of your projects to view depending upon their interest.

You could potentially work at home and make many times an hour what you do now. Granted it will take time to get your name around so "don't quit the day job yet" as they say but if you progressively become a freelancer you can pick and choose the companies/jobs/work hours you want. With graphic deign you have an enormous array of companies to make contacts with, just about anyone really. Perhaps you'll get an offer to stay on permanent somewhere really fantastic giving you the salary and design position your talents and interests deserve to be dedicated to.

Now get out there and be great! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, PlantAKiss does graphic design, I think she works for a realator, perhaps you could look around for local realty offices and do custom graphics for them?

Swords is right, 8 bucks an hour is pretty chincy.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would stay where you are for a few months Joel. You're getting experience which is worth far more than qualifications to employers in graphic design. Get some nice commercial work for your portfolio - you'll double your employability for the next job at a stroke.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay for the graphic designers! And printers! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Lets see...there's me, Alexis, Firewired, Rattler (printer)...anyone else?

who knows (without looking it up) what ink traps and resolution points are?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am an ex-printer. 6 color web press for a label co. Also an ex-rewinder (OOOHHH [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] )

I've been out of the biz for a while though.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast