What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help, kinda urgent...

This is really pretty sad actually. I can't keep my two cats in my house and they're really the only things left that i care about in this world. I've gotten stupid reasoning about them not being able to be in the house, like they'll steal the breath from babies...there are no, and won't be any babies in my house. People are odd, what can I say?

Well in a matter of a few weeks the people who are holding them at the moment will need to get rid of them, by either putting them up for adoption, finding someone else, or just letting them go outside. They are also needing to get rid of and find home of there 14 cats along with my two.

Basically the only solution i can seem to come up with at the moment is to get a rather large cage to hold them in for hopefully a short period of time in my garage. I would let them roam free in the garage without a need for a cage, but i have been trying for months now to get it cleaned up, and it not being my stuff out there there is not much i can do. There are shards of sharpened metal and glass, screws, nails, motor oil, and other various mechanical and electronic dangers. At least i know that if they were there they would be safe albeit confined and i'd be able to give them the attention that they need and the care they deserve.

I'm having troubles finding an enclosure that isn't so expensive that it would set me back a few weeks, $400-800 is definately a bit much.

Would anyone happen to know anywhere to get an appropriate enclosure, or have any other suggestions for this dilemna? I really need to keep these two precious animals in my life.

I dont understand..
why cant they live in your house?

"I've gotten stupid reasoning about them not being able to be in the house, like they'll steal the breath from babies"

is that the ACTUAL reason why they cant stay in your house?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

who is saying that?

Scot

and why are you posting your actual address in your signature line?
thats very odd..you should remove that.

Scot

Scot,
People can be very unreasonable, and maybe they just don't want the cats because they don't like them.  Who cares? Point is they have to go. Big V is trying to get some help from any potential cat lovers here.

And HEY!
I have my address in my signature line, too.  You got beef?  
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Feb. 22 2005,8:23)]I dont understand..
why cant they live in your house?

"I've gotten stupid reasoning about them not being able to be in the house, like they'll steal the breath from babies"

is that the ACTUAL reason why they cant stay in your house?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

who is saying that?

Scot
That was one of the many reasonings.  Basically the owner of the house (my uncle) and my father are being extremely adamant on the situation.  They don't like cats and don't want them in the house, so they are making up and reaching for any excuse they can possibly come up with.  But yes, that's one of the reasons i was told.

There reasoning is really less of importance than the actual solution that I need to come up with.

And my address is in my sig because i like to make myself available to contact.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Feb. 22 2005,8:43)]And HEY!
I have my address in my signature line, too.  You got beef?  
smile_n_32.gif
yeah! I do!
smile_n_32.gif

its just that in this day and age, I wouldnt want my address listed for the whole world to see!
of course, if anyone wanted my address, im sure they could dig it up without too much trouble..but why make it easy for them?
smile_l_32.gif

Vertigo,
wow, that sucks..im sorry they are being so unreasonable..
Is moving an option?
I am getting married to a major cat lover..she has one cat, had the cat for 10 years.
If I didnt like the cat, I would go, not the cat.
(and I agree with that! she simply wouldnt date anyone who hates cats, not an option.)
If someone said she couldnt keep the cat in her apartment, she would move, no question.

of course, if its a medical matter, like a severe allergy, then that is different..but if people are saying you cant keep the cats just because THEY have an unreasonable issue, move!
IMO the cats are more important than the apartment and the hassle of unreasonable demands..
lose the humans, keep the cats.

Scot

get some 2x4's and some chicken wire and you could throw together a secure decent sized pen for them with lil trouble and expence. even if yah dont have the tools i bet a friend can loan yah a saw, drill, wire cutter and stapler. prolly take yah half a day if you dont have much experiance and really get after it.

heh!
I found my own address on-line with 3 clicks!
confused.gif

(due to my own carelessness..I have my last name on a ton of my webpages)
I noticed I DONT have my last name listed in my PFT profile, good right?
well, I have my first name, username and location listed.
a google search for scot scottychaos rochester
brought up my last name instantly.
google search for "white pages"
and there I am!
laugh.gif

(why am I laughing? its not funny!
smile_m_32.gif
 )

Scot

Scotty,

Moving is definately an option and a must, just not something that i can do soon enough. I believe at most that i have 2 weeks or so to come up with something to do, or I may never know what has happened to them.

Rattler,

That's not a bad idea in the least, i'll have to see if i can find some fencing or coop material that wouldn't shred up muzzles and paws as i'm sure the kitties would try to either climb the sides, or push their faces through the holes. Anything though is really a lot better than being stranded out in the cold. With a roll of chicken wire or something similar and the lumber i could probably put that together in 20 minutes or so and definately make enough room for them to be at least somewhat comfortable for the cost. Luckily they have been kept in smaller rooms most of their lives so they are used to being confined somewhat and don't seem to mind it much as long as i am near.

White pages is scary scot.....

Anywho, thats terrible Vertigo! I hate to hear stories like this. I'd vote for the idea suggested of making a "cat coop" Just fence them in and they'll be golden! I'm sure things will be ok...difficult but ok. BTW< when do you want your Nepenthes cutting from the auction a looong while back? I though it never made it to you...or it did and died....let me know spring is coming!

Listen to Rattler,
I did the same for my 6+' iguana at the time. It is pretty cheap and you can go with PVC or 2x4 and chicken wire or aluminum screen (no nylon). Quick, cheap, easy to do yourself. Hope you have a solution quickly.

Take care
Joe

Building a "coop" really does seem like the best bet at the moment. At least they'll be able to get everything they really need. Now all i have to do is get past all of the bull from my father explaining to me that he isn't into cats. Doesn't he realize this has nothing to do with him in the least? He went over to the house with my cats to try and retrieve an inanimate object, basically telling me he cares more about a bass guitar i have over there than any living breathing creature, even if i do think of them as my children. People really are warped.

A well constructed "coop" can be a good partial residence too for them as they do enjoy having their own things. After life on a couch they can be a little irritated to be elsewhere though. I would say expect a bit of vengence from the for a little while after their coop change.

Good Luck
Joe

Well you could sneak the cats in the house. thats what I would do. Just try to make sure no one finds out. Or throw away all the crap in the garage. ITs not like anyone will use it anyway.

I'm so sorry to hear that Vertigo! I wish i could help.. if I wasn't all the way up in Alaska I'd offer to watch them for as long as needed. My BF has been looking for excuses to get another kitty anyway.

I like cats.

You really can't find any enclosures for reasonable prices?? Look in pet shops or Petsmart or places like that for large dog kennels.. even in newspaper adds sometimes. We sold a big dog kennel through the newspaper. They shouldn't be very expensive, and they're big enough, for, like, a lab, so it should be OK for cats.

Back