Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More bad news

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send me a digital camera! I'd love to take a bunch of pics. My co-worker, who has one, also (admittedly so) has a memory like a seive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had good success with the drowning technique too. I submerged D. capensis & VFTs for two days.

My D. binata got scale last fall. For that, I successfully used Bonide (dry granular) Systemic Houseplant Insecticide. It was about $5.00 for an 8 oz container at Home Depot. I wasn't sure how it would work, or if it would kill the live LFS. I used about a tablespoon in a 6 inch pot - sprinkled it on top and teased it into the substrate. Then I watered from the top and placed the entire pot and water dish in an enclosed storage container for about 2 months. The binata and the LFS liked those conditions and flourished, the scale dissappeared too.

I've seen Orthene Systemic (liquid) for about 10 bucks, but have no experience with it yet.

Good luck getting rid of the little buggers.

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I may have to try the drowing technique. I again made the mistake of putting my plants too near to my mom's hibiscus while I was at home (it goes through periodic aphid infesations that flare up in winter for some reason) and now my D. capnesis, D. spathulata, and D. nidiformis are nearly overrun, with headway being made on my D. scorpiodes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] I've only barely been able to keep them in check with rubbing alcohol and liberal pruning. Just thank the deities the adelae has been spared (knocks on wood)
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used orthene for 20 years on my babies, and they do not suffer any problems with the use of this toxin. Acephate, the prime ingredient, does terrible things to any and all sucking insects, so can be used to destroy aphids, whitefly, scale, mealy bugs, and even a few chewers like exyra moth. Follow the directions on the bottle, and use it. I even have used it in my terrariums, before I learned my plants would do well outside in trays. And I still use it. Valuable stuff to keep the dreaded curse of the aphid away from your prized plants.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out! Get back out there! Or, bump!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thanks everybody for the tips. I think I'll try to go with Orthene when I've got some cash at the beginning of the month. I would try drowning (I've had a lot of fun knocking aphids into the D. binata water tray, knowing they're not long for the grave) but I don't have enough deep containers for the majority of my exposed plants. I think we'll just bring on the poison, but I still wonder, how safe is it for small animals? I could always move my plants into the storage room on the balcony for the duration of their treatment, but I'd prefer not to break down my whole setup and move it.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12