Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More bad news

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hey all, so it seems I have aphids as well as spider mites and algae. Life is peachy. I've been looking up the insecticides mentioned in the Savage Garden but they all seem to be fairly toxic and for outdoor use. I have birds, fish and small mammals in the apartment so I'm very nervous about using most insecticides. I'm going to treat my hardier, non-CPs with neem oil outside, but I don't know if it's safe for CPs. What kind of stuff should I buy for the CPs? Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ortho Systemic Insect Killer has been recommended a few times for CP's... I've used it with no apparent problem so far.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at the label for that stuff on their website and it says that it's not for use indoors. That's the one with Orthene and some miticide, right? I think it's name starts with a V.
    Also, at the risk of going off on a tangent, which of the following plants could I move outside for treating with insecticide? I'm still getting frosts, but daytime temps are in the 60s.
    I have:
    D. capensis (definitely going outside)
    D. binata dichotoma
    D. spatulata
    P. moranensis
    I don't know what to do about my Nepenthes until it warms up at night, and I think my Utrics are unaffected (knock on wood.) I do have a miniature plastic greenhouse on the balcony so I can give the plants humidity and such.
    Thanks again,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it have been the sugary aphid poo that stimulated the algea? Just a thought [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] . Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Feb. 23 2005,11:29)]I was looking at the label for that stuff on their website and it says that it's not for use indoors.
    I think that's because they assume you're going to be spraying it via a hose attachment. You still want some good ventilation no matter what of course.

You can always mix up a little bit and just use an eyedropper or a turkey baster and apply it that way. It's systemic so the plant doesn't have to be coated. You might even be able to just water them with the ortho added in.

I should also mention that the people I've read about who use this stuff mostly used it on neps. You should probably get a second opinion on those other plants.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My capensis (spelled it right this time), D. spatulata, and D. adelae all have aphids. I successfully rid the capensis fo them by simply placing their pot in a taller container and overfilled it with water, drowning them. The aphids float, struggle, and die. They do not swim too well! I currently have the adelae underwater. Today I do the same with the spatulata. I can't vouch for the long term eradication of them. You shoulda seen the new leaves that initiated from the capensis, while underwater!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive used Schultz Expert Gardener on Nepenthes, Sarrs and Orchids with no ill effects. it is made out of chrysanthumum flowers and doent have any noxious fumes but i wouldnt let it stay on your skin or breath it in. i found it at my local ACE hardware store. DO NOT USE it on Utrics. best plan with them is to drown the critters like Jim does, prolly best plan with Drosera and Pings too. anyways as far as pesticides go its about as nontoxic to humans as anything and it never hurt my Nepenthes.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]My capensis (spelled it right this time), D. spatulata, and D. adelae all have aphids. I successfully rid the capensis fo them by simply placing their pot in a taller container and overfilled it with water, drowning them. The aphids float, struggle, and die. They do not swim too well! I currently have the adelae underwater. Today I do the same with the spatulata. I can't vouch for the long term eradication of them. You shoulda seen the new leaves that initiated from the capensis, while underwater!
    Neat, I'll try it. Can we see a pic?
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast