What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Florida is so stupid

It's not "nice things", it's "fancy crap." I don't need or want fancy crap and I'm never going to waste my time on it. Here's another instance where you could call me a redneck, because I don't need the best of the world presented to me on a silver platter.

Fine dining is good food well prepared, plain and simple. Like I said...none of that in Brooksville restaurants, that's for sure. It's make it yourself, ....or go to Hardy's. There is a really good barbecue place right outside of town, on route 50 though.

No offense, but fine dining tastes like crap. I'd rather go to TGIF or Cracker Barrel. At least they give me a freaking MENU. Once when my grandparents brought me with them to a high-class, expensive restaruant they have in downtown Titusville here, I think I was 12... THEY DIDN'T EVEN GIVE ME A MENU THEY WERE SO STUCK-UP!!!

Besides, I'd rather have pizza, nachos or fried chicken from KFC any dang day.

New England kicks everyone's a** when it comes to good cheap restaurants.  Maybe it's because the population hasn't exploded and created as big of a niche for chains.  Or maybe it's because we enough Greeks to run lots of diners and cheap pizza places.

There are good, cheap restaurants everywhere, but they're extremely abundant here.  The chains are here too, but why go to TGIF or Hardys when there's better food for less at a hundred closer places.  We had to go to a TGIF last year when visiting with family in Pennsylvania and it was awful.  My wife and I were wondering why we had to pay so much for assembly line food.  My last visit to a TGIF had been maybe 20 years earlier in Jackson, MS.  I thought it was good then, but I know better now.

Then you've not had it. Good food is good food. All the good food I've ever had tasted good to me.  It's not about being stuck up, either. High falutin' places don't have extensive menus, and they change daily(depending on what foods the head chef selects, and what is in season and the freshest), so there's absolutely no sense in printing up menus.  The day's menu is usually written on a blackboard, and recited to the patrons by the wait-staff.  

Don't matter if it's served on a paper plate with a slice of white bread, or served on antique Doulton with a watercress salad. If it's good, it's good. I'm as much a prole as the next guy, but I'm not a knee-jerk prole. There ain't nothing wrong, as a special treat, with going to a restaurant that has white tablecloths and a dress code and decent wine. You know, where men wear a jacket and tie? For once? There's an excellent french restaurant in the town I work in...I would like to try it sometime. Trio Atelier.  I've never had french food.  

On the budget we're on...TGIF or Bennigan's IS fine dining!  They both have stuff I love on their menus.  I especially love the ribs at Bennigans.  We won't be going to Tru or Trio Atelier anytime soon, though!  Maybe Bennigans tomorrow night, which makes me a happy girl!  Barbecue ribs!  Yum!  

Will I go to the little tiny barbecue hut on 50 when I go to Brooksville? Yep!  Because it's FINE dining. Will I go to the "fine dining" crappy Chinese restaurant where they use tons of MSG and cook the vegetables to death? Nope.  I'll probably go to Arby's at least once and a couple of the local diners for chicken fried steak, too!

BTW..what happened to KFC?  We ate there a few weeks ago..and dang.  No more baked or broiled chicken..which was really good!  

Appropos of nothing, my dad worked for the Colonel, when he (my dad) was about 12 years old(circa 1927 or so), selling box lunches to truckers out on the highway.  The Colonel had a rack made of coffee cans filled with various spice mixtures in them, and he'd go on down the line, mixing them, throwing the chicken in, and frying it.     April
biggrin.gif

KFC... didn't that used to be called Kentucky FRIED Chicken? Hey the best food I have had comes from NYC / Long Island - especially the pizza and Chinese food. I haven't found a decent egg roll since moving away. Best cheesecake, too!

Florida is funny when you order iced tea. The waitresses ask "sweetened or unsweetened?" I also think it's funny to hear them say, "sure do" or "sure don't".

When everyone is finished beating up on Florida, can I start a thread about what I dislike about New Yak?

If I cannot get into any restaurant in jeans and a tee shirt, then I don't need to be there. Wanna wear a monkey suit just to eat?? Dat be goofy!!

If all of you non-Floridians dispise Florida food, climate, arthropod life, school rules, etc., nothing is forcing you to enter our state. For the Floridians on the thread who have been complaining - I don't recall seeing armed guards at the Georgia border preventing you from moving out to one of the other 49 apparently wonderous problem free states that are SO much better. I agree with Lauderdale, where are the threads denegrating the rest of the union? Has 2005 been declared the year of picking on Florida and we're just hearing about it now?

herenorthere, I must admit, y'all's Friendly's have wayyy more sugar in the root beer than ours. Our TGIFs rock, though.. in my opinion. They have the bext freaking spaghetti on the face of the earth.

april, "good food" is a matter of opinion. You can't just declare that the correct opinion is that fine restaurants ARE good food, because some people are gonna agree and some are gonna disaggree. I disaggree, but I still respect your opinion and I don't call your opinion "wrong". And about the menus, I didn't not get a menu because the menus didn't exist. They gave my grandparents menus and they didn't give me one. Explain that any other way than "stuck-up".

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]KFC... didn't that used to be called Kentucky FRIED Chicken?

It's still fried here o_O It's great!!! Somebody should just make a new snack... Fried Chicken Batter Skins. Booya!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Florida is funny when you order iced tea. The waitresses ask "sweetened or unsweetened?"

...You mean that's not universal?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When everyone is finished beating up on Florida, can I start a thread about what I dislike about New Yak?

GO LAUDERDALE!! (although New Yak DID give us David Duchovny..)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I cannot get into any restaurant in jeans and a tee shirt, then I don't need to be there. Wanna wear a monkey suit just to eat?? Dat be goofy!!

EXACTLY!!!

Lauderdale, Bugweed and buster1, I LOVE Y'ALL!!! *forms circle of friends*

Well, maybe if y'all could run a fair election, we'd stop picking on you. (LOL!! It's only a joke!)

Florida is one of those states that has a little bit of everything. Like California. You can find endless strip malls and bad chain restaurants, and you can find stunning natural beauty and even some culture if you look hard enough (sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I cannot get into any restaurant in jeans and a tee shirt, then I don't need to be there. Wanna wear a monkey suit just to eat?? Dat be goofy!!

Well, there is one exception to this rule: When someone else is paying!! I'll dress in anything you want for a good, free dinner (well, almost anything, depending on how good the food is).

Nice thing about living near (read: NOT IN) New York City is that we have a PLETHORA of resteraunts with GREAT food that you can go to in jeans.

FTG is right, Great food is all subject to taste, but and open mind is always a plus. I'll try ANYTHING once. Even a mayfly patty from Congo, or BBQ'ed tarantula on a stick from Mexico (hey, those kids looked positively PSYCHED to have 'em!). Tried Tripe once. Won't do that again, but at least I tried!

I'd try anything once, but I'm not gonna dress fancy and sit with a napkin in my lap to do it. When I say "I'd try anything once," I'm thinking more along the lines of gator tail or roasted rattlesnake. The only thing I'll never try is horse.

No buster take out the about 10 states then you have the good states. Haha guess what states I am talking about?

Speaking of trying food once I was surfing the net the other day and came upon a great song to a religious beat. The first part was
"Do you smell what I smell
A child
A child
Dinner's on the way
Bum Bum Bum, Bum Bum Bum"

It really was quite wonderful, well for my sense of humor.

"Get a job, you bum bum bum bum..."
—Larry the Cable Guy

Well i suppose i tr some things, but deep-fried candy bars...
smile_t_32.gif
no thanks

I said good food is good food, no matter how it is served.

Believe me, if I didn't have to go to Florida, I wouldn't.

Believe me, if I didn't have to go to New England, I wouldn't.

smile_n_32.gif

As long as we're even.

EDIT: Check that out, two America (The Book) signature quotes in a row. Who'da thunk it.

Back