What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you use a shelf or your windowsill?

• Thread starter firewired
  • Start date
I have all my plants on my windowsill right now, and I was wondering if it would be better to get some sort of shelf or table stand for my plants instead. It seems to get pretty warm in the windowsill......and I'm wondering if once summer rolls around if it will get reeaallly warm in there. What do you guys think? Thanks
smile.gif

- Joel

I use both, windowsills and I have a plant shelf by the back door.

Right now, nearly everything is right at 7 window sills, some of which are awaiting a move to a mini-bog. I have nearly all of the window arrangements such that there is makeshift shelving, so that all may be as close to the light as possible.

Unless you have plants being placed in between storm and inner windows (greenhouse effect), I don't see your set up as a problem. In nature they experience a 20 or so degree temperature differential from 6 am to 4 pm. Are you talking about conditions ranging from 70->85? I think that would be beneficial.

I hang plants in windows. But I don't do that with water tray plants because most of them are outdoor plants. But I expect I'll add a hanging water tray some day.

Window shelfs are great. I have tripled my indoor plant collection in the one window I have.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In nature they experience a 20 or so degree temperature differential from 6 am to 4 pm. Are you talking about conditions ranging from 70->85? I think that would be beneficial.

It's closer to 60 -> 87 range. It's not in between any windows. Another thing is that the heat register is below this windowsill so I think some of that heat may be a factor as well.

When the summer is here I won't need anymore heating....but the angle of the sun's rays hitting us changes, and I wondered if that would affect anything.

Or maybe I'm thinking too much into it!
biggrin.gif

With only one small table by a low windowsill, i was able to house my entire collection. Think of what you can do with 2 or three of these!

i only use one window in my house for CPs and its actually a sliding glass door. the only thing in it are a couple Sarrs(a few more to be added soon), a Darlingtonia, D. rotundifolia, D. filliformis and a D. binata. everything else is grown under lights. Pings, Drosera, Utrics and Genliseas are in my new shelf system on two shelves under lights. a third shelf will be used once i find a 20 gal aquarium for epiphytic Utrics and Hellies(dont have yet but plan on getting some this summer) this will also have its own automated misting system hopefully if i can get some one to drill a hole or two through the glass for me. my Neps are in two tanks at the moment, lowlands in a 75 gal, highlands in a 10 gal. a few odds and ends are stuck elsewhere, usualy among orchids under lights.

All of my inside-grown plants are on... Um, well, the floor. Just by my sliding glass door. Well, seeing as I consider the ground the greatest storage place- it's kinda like a windowsill!
smile_n_32.gif
smile.gif

I use a shelf outside (my 6'-high x 3'-wide greenhouse I speak of.. it looks exactly like the one in the background of NickHubbel's personal photo behind his head, except mine's orange instead of green) in the sun for my Sarrs adnd VFTs and a 10-gal fluorescent terrarium inside for my Nep, dew and Ping.

Back