User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a shelf or your windowsill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have all my plants on my windowsill right now, and I was wondering if it would be better to get some sort of shelf or table stand for my plants instead. It seems to get pretty warm in the windowsill......and I'm wondering if once summer rolls around if it will get reeaallly warm in there. What do you guys think? Thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

- Joel
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both, windowsills and I have a plant shelf by the back door.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now, nearly everything is right at 7 window sills, some of which are awaiting a move to a mini-bog. I have nearly all of the window arrangements such that there is makeshift shelving, so that all may be as close to the light as possible.

Unless you have plants being placed in between storm and inner windows (greenhouse effect), I don't see your set up as a problem. In nature they experience a 20 or so degree temperature differential from 6 am to 4 pm. Are you talking about conditions ranging from 70->85? I think that would be beneficial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hang plants in windows. But I don't do that with water tray plants because most of them are outdoor plants. But I expect I'll add a hanging water tray some day.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Window shelfs are great. I have tripled my indoor plant collection in the one window I have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]In nature they experience a 20 or so degree temperature differential from 6 am to 4 pm. Are you talking about conditions ranging from 70->85? I think that would be beneficial.
    It's closer to 60 -> 87 range. It's not in between any windows. Another thing is that the heat register is below this windowsill so I think some of that heat may be a factor as well.

When the summer is here I won't need anymore heating....but the angle of the sun's rays hitting us changes, and I wondered if that would affect anything.

Or maybe I'm thinking too much into it! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With only one small table by a low windowsill, i was able to house my entire collection. Think of what you can do with 2 or three of these!
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i only use one window in my house for CPs and its actually a sliding glass door. the only thing in it are a couple Sarrs(a few more to be added soon), a Darlingtonia, D. rotundifolia, D. filliformis and a D. binata. everything else is grown under lights. Pings, Drosera, Utrics and Genliseas are in my new shelf system on two shelves under lights. a third shelf will be used once i find a 20 gal aquarium for epiphytic Utrics and Hellies(dont have yet but plan on getting some this summer) this will also have its own automated misting system hopefully if i can get some one to drill a hole or two through the glass for me. my Neps are in two tanks at the moment, lowlands in a 75 gal, highlands in a 10 gal. a few odds and ends are stuck elsewhere, usualy among orchids under lights.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast