Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a hybrid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am asking this because I have a Boy Scout project that is a colecting Merit Badge that I am going to collect nepenthes and dionaea and I am curious and I saw the word at a carnivorous plant internet site. I am in fifth grade and this is going to be my first merit badge I am going to do on my own. My mom gave me permission to ask so please answer because she told me I had to find out on my own. I am going to keep answer to my questions in a book I am making for my project. I am also going to make a poster and draw pictures of nepenthes and dionaea. Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

A hybrid is plant made up of 2 or more species.

For example:
    S. Oreophila x S. Leucophylla = S. Oreophila x Leucophylla
    N. Maxima x N. Northiana = N. x Mixta

Characteristics of the parent plants can be seen in the newborn. But not always will both characteristics show up since their are dominate and recessive genes within each plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it doesn't have to be with just plants though. there are hybrids of animals and i guess other organisms too.
    a mule is a hybrid between a horse and a donkey.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hybrid is anything that is made up of two combined parts
    Hybrid car- gas AND electric engine
    Hybrid animal- Lyger, tiger, lion

Hybrid plants- N. X Ventrata = N. alata x N. ventricosa
    N. macfarlanei x N. ephippiata (a hybrid i'd really like to get mind you,) = N. macfarlanei X ephippiata
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hybrid is a cross between things, for an example a plant or animal. Hybrids are not often possible, but where it's achievable you end up with something that is halfway in appearance between the two parents. Where hybrids are possible, the result is often sterile and unable to reproduce. There are exceptions, such as with sarracenia pitcher plants, which can be crossed again and again to create an infinite variety.

Here's a website for hybrid animals: Real animal crosses

Here's an example of a sarracenia hybrid. If you cross a white pitcher plant (S. leucophylla)...

... with a hooded pitcher plant (S. minor):

... you get a plant which is intermediate between the two (S.x excellens). The 'x' denotes that it is a hybrid and this can also be written as S.x leucophylla x minor.

This cross has a overhanging hood which isn't quite as overhanging as S. minor (if the hood of one parent is at say 90 degrees and the other is at 0 degrees, the the hybrid will be at 45 degrees). It also has white and red coloration from the S. leucophylla:

S. leucophylla's flower color is red, S. minor's is yellow, so the hybrid has orangey flowers.

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Venus flytraps do not make hybrids because it is the only species within it's genus and does not cross breed with other carnivorous plants.

The different colors and shapes on the variety grown by folks are simply variations found within the species. It is still however all one species.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great explanation, Alexis. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

As he said, when you do cross (hybridize) two species, the resulting plant or animal is not always fertile (capable of reproducing by seed or babies). A cross between a horse and donkey, the mule, cannot reproduce. Just recently on TV I saw a "liger"...a cross between a lion and tiger. Ligers can reproduce. They are giant cats standing 12 ft. tall and weighing 900 lbs. When a tiger crosses with a lion, its called a "tigon" and they are dwarfs. Genetics can do funny things. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I hope you do well on your project and welcome to forums! Maybe you'll get hooked on carnivorous plants. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Suzanne/PAK
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody have a pic of Audrey 2. That's a cross between two genera - a VFT and a butterwort. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] A very interesting cultivar!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast