Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling ex-smokers

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are en ex-smoker I wanna hear from you. How did you quit?

A little something about me.
    I used to have a few bad habits namely powder drugs and pot as well as smoking ciggarettes. I have been clean of drugs (illegal) for 5+years now. Quitting those were tough but I managed to do it. I did it cold turkey and never looked back. However I have unsuccesfully tried to quit smoking several times. Recently I went on Welbutrin (sp?) and it was a bad idea. It made me very violent, and generally irritable and angry all the time for no reason really. In 5 years with my wife I had never called my wife "The "C" word" until the last 2 weeks in which I've done it twice. I stopped taking it!

What now? I want to quit but it's the only thing I can't quit on my own. My wife doesn't smoke regularly (socially) so I don't really have her to quit with me cause she hasn't been smoking lately anyways.

HOW DID YOU DO IT? I want to know!

Thanks
    Joe

BTW: If I've been biting lately, sorry, the drug is the reason but I should be on track again soon. I stopped taking it last week.
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I quit about two years ago, give or take. I never really had a huge cigarette addiction ( I think I smoke 3 to 4 a day durring the week, and double that on weekend days). I just stopped cold turkey. Every time you put a cigarette to you lips is a choice. I quit to have a kid, and that was more important to me. If you want it bad enough, you'll put up with the week or two of chemical withdrawal. Then you have to contend with the habbit part of it, which can be even harder, but with some will power (and hopefully the support of your wife), you can do it.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never smoked. I wonder if over-eating is a good comparison...?
    However, I was put on Welbutrin once, and I felt awful. For that part that I can relate to, I feel for you.
    I just weaned of Effexor and am really struggling with my "irritability" myself. I know exactly what Superimposed is talking about. I have had a couple of days where I am very angry, like I just got in the biggest arguement of my life, and absolutely nothing has happened! I can not tell you much it sucks.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through a phase of pack-or-more-a-day cigarette smoking (and pints of hard liquor to top it off, yikes!) when I was 17 for a few months then quit cold turkey for a year or so after realing life is precious no matter how cruddy I felt. I certainly experienced the effects of the withdrawal, but with that came my regaining of overall good health and rapidly decreasing number of daily head and neck aches. I now occasionally smoke socially (and feel terrible about it), but my goal right now is to help my girlfriend quit even if she doesn't want to.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Dave pretty much said it. Quitting something is a concious decision and its up to you to make sure that you make it stick.

I had a very bad drinking problem for a while untill August 19, 2001. I just woke up that morning (with a bad hangover) and said to myself that that was the last time. And that was it.. never looked back. I did the same thing with my earlier drug problems and also chewing tobacco.

When you are ready to quit, TRUELY ready, not just that "Welllll.... l I think I prolly should quit.. I guess" kinda quitting, then you will do it. If you are looking for drugs and patches and all that stuff to "help" you quit, then you have not made that decision that you are truely ready yet.

I liken things like this to Mr. Miaggi from the Karate Kid who put it best: "Walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle.. sooner or later squish, just like grape." Untill you make that full commitment that you are absolutely positively going to quit, you are walking the middle of the road.. sooner or later.. squish.. just like grape.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my parents finding out was a big part of my quitting smoking, but I feel like it was a matter of choice for me, really... I have asthma and smoking a pack a day just wasn't something I could sustain. When I started getting winded walking four blocks to get home from the bus stop, and when I would wake up at 4:30 in the morning to cough up phlegmy brown chunks, and when I routinely cut class for a cigarette, I knew I had to stop.
    I think the key to quitting any habit is to find the thing you dislike the most about it and focus on that aspect. It really bothered me that I couldn't sustain my breath enough to run or even walk a long distance, and so every time I wanted a cigarette I would just think about how sorry my health was until I was pissed off at the cigarettes :)
    Of course, I'm not the best example of a successful quitter, as I still break down and smoke when I'm stressed out or overworked or something, but it's not nearly as bad as it was back in high school. I go months at a time without smoking, and I'm pretty satisfied with that. I try to keep in mind that I'm only human, and so if I slip up and smoke a pack one week, it doesn't bother me - I'm not suddenly 'a smoker' again. I think that's why I've been able to stick with quitting; I don't give up on it just because I still want to smoke.
    As for the welbutrin, good for you. That stuff is poison if you ask me. I know psych drugs are there for good reason, but as someone who went through zoloft, welbutrin, paxil, and trazidone and got a close-up look at the side-effects of each, I just don't think they're worth it. I just hope that irritability was the worst of what you experienced.
    Anyways, good luck! Quitting is hard, but you've got to have control of your own life!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMAO at VFT guy. Squish like grape indeed! What a great comparisson.

I wonder....When you fail (squish like grape), do you whine about it?

LOLOLOLOLOL
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I quit being a 2nd hand smoker? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast