What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp's at home depot?  huh?

Okay, I have seen multiple posts about people purchasing a CP or two from a Home Depot. So needless to say, I have made several attemps to check out my local Home Depots, and NOTHING! I have checked out several of their stores, in Virginia, Maryland, and now here in Chicago! I have stopped in at different times of the year, ranging from spring and on through the winter. I have scoured up and down the aisles in and out of the nursery areas, and even asked associates there if they carried carnivorous plants, and they just didn't ever recall carrying them. So can someone tell me if there are particular states that just don't sell them? Or am I just having some bad luck here? Not that PetFlyTrap.com isn't a place to order them, as I prefer to order them from this site, but I have just been curious to find any stores close to home that may carry them as well, but NEVER have.

The HD here (I live in souther Ontario, Canada) gets them from time to time, but you have to look fairly often- recently I actually found some kind of Sarracenia there (it was just coming out of dormancy so I haven't seen what the pitchers are truly going ot look like)
But they don't know how to take care of them, and by-and-large the staff is poorly informed about them, so if they do get them in they die off pretty fast if you're not quick..

They probably won't start bringing them in until Spring. My very first few CP's came from the H.D. - VFT, S. leucophylla, P. primuliflora, D. spatulata.

ive seen them at HD but Lowes has them more often as fa as i can tell but the nearest 2 stores are almost 4 hours away so they dont get checked regularly.

Our Home Depots get them in rarely-it seems to be more common in other areas(Colorado comes to mind). When I got to Low's in Omaha(about an hour away), they almost alwyas have something(usually pitiful flytraps, but sometimes Darlingtonia)>

Cheers,

Joe

it just depends on what they bring in at each partiuclar store. some sell them, some don't, for whatever reasons. i've moved around quite a bit over the past few years. i've only found them once in VA Beach. they were small TC Sarracenia that had only juvenile leaves, so I couldn' quite tell what they were. one turned out to be Scarlett Belle, and one turned out to be Tarnok (i think - it has a flower bud this year, so we'll see for sure).

The only CP's I have ever had luck with at home depot are Neps,

invariably the staff is poorly trained and one of a few things happens: plants are watered with tap (various levels of doom depending on where your from and what your water is like) and laughably, I have seen far to many get boiled in the sun..
smile_h_32.gif

My experiences in Northern VA:

Home Depot: Just VFTs from tissue culture in the non-winter months. Both typical and dente. Amazingly healthy (I guess they got bought fast enough to not wither away).

Lowes: The common stuff. VFTs and Cobra Lilies. D. adelae. S. whatever-is-most-common (flava and/or judith-something I think... sometimes purpurea). N. ventricosa probably (tiny and unlabelled, no pitchers). I've never seen a nep hanging basket.

Some Home Depots have them and some don't... just like with WalMart, Lowe's, Target and (apparently) Kroger.

endparenthesis, that's Judith Hindle.

I live in BC(Canada)and our HD doesn't have them,but Mabudons HD in a different part of Canada does.When I went to a few HD's here just like a week ago and I asked if they had or ever had CP's they guy said "what's a Carnivorous Plant?"and he was the flower guy! So I left right away,lol.I also checked WalMart but they've never had then,neither have Rona.It sucks:(*Trapper7*

RUN, FORREST, RUN!!!!

Okay now, get this! I was in St. Louis last week and decided that since I had a few minutes I would stop in at a Lowes to check out their Carnivorous Plants (since there are hardly any Lowes here in Chicago). Well, when I walked in, there were two isles blocked off because they were using forklifts to topstock stuff. And wouldn't you know it, one of the isles had CP's!!! But I wasn't allowed to get to them!!! I asked one of the associates if I could go look at the plants, but the girl told me that the isle will be re-opened in about 15 minutes. I waited, and waited, and waited, and about 30 minutes later, the isle was still blocked off!!! I had run out of time and wanted to come back later that day, but had no time left to stop back by. ARRRGGGGG!!!!!
mad.gif

Aww that sucks Frogger!Maybe next time
smile.gif
I got a question for you.You have a poison dart frog as your pic,and I was wondering if you had any?(Not for sale,just curious)And do you keep any in with your CP's?If you don't want to answer me here,you can PM me.I would like to put some frogs(maybe not a poison dart frog)in with my cp's and I would like to know how I would go about that,and if it would hurt the frogs,or the CP's.Thanks
smile.gif
*Niki*

Well I hear Lowes and Home Depot are going to double their garden centers and carry more specialty and designer plants (I can only hope this means cps). I commonly see Neps in hanging baskets at Lowes. But you seriously have to be there the day they come in. They are gone usually within 2 days. Sometimes they post a sign that says "Tropical Pitchers Plants (Nepenthes) have been reordered. Expected arrival date is..."
Usually we have just VFTs though some times others.

At Lowe's, I have seen:

D. californica

D. muscipula

D. adelae
D. spatulata 'Kansai'

P. primuliflora

S. purpurea ssp. venosa
S. rubra ssp. rubra
S. x 'Judith Hindle'

They come in little, clear plastic cubes. They are usually packaged singly, but the upright Sarrs come in larger cubes, packaged with a D. adelae and a VFT.

I've not seen them carry any Neps here, but I haven't asked yet, either. Given that the only Neps I have are N. x coccinea and N. x miranda, they would probably have something I don't have.

this is what I have seen at lowes:
Sarracenia:
S. Rubra
S. Purpurea

Darlingtonia Californica

D. Muscipula
D. Muscipula dente

P. Primuflora

N. Miranda
some for of N. Bical (luckily from gubler, really small)

D. Adelae
D. Spathulata

Nursuries occasionally get N. Coccinea but ive never seen it at home depot or lowes, man, you guys are lucky to find stuff like S. Flava and S. Leuc (esspecially tarnok)

In NW Florida (near Eglin) I bought a S. rubra which turned out to be jonseii. Well I think so, the people who supplied it did have an argument that it was not transported over state lines but never admited it was jonseii. It looks nearly identical to my jonseii though.

hey guys in canada mississauga. I know a couple of places that carry CP's.
I have seen only VFT's in the home dept near my house at mavis/matheson. I have also seen VFT's at the rona lansing near there.

My VFT is from the square one Walmart.

If you guys know something about getting other species of CP's like saraccenia's or pitchers ..please notify me.

Back