Thread: Existentialism

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] realist (my own word, I think)
    realism is a kind of painting/literature that portrays things how they are and not how they should be/etc. for example if you're painting your friend, you paint every wrinkle and every ugly nasty festering pimple (LOL) you see and not omit them from it. In literature, you write about normal and ordinary people, racial discrimination in the workplace and how they all go to *cough cough* certain places for fun...
    you portray things realistically and not ideally.

btw... I haven't read all of it so I won't comment on it.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Est @ Mar. 06 2005,5:12)]Jimscott old boy, you're moving up on my hero list awful fast. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Thanks, Jon... I think.

Hey, just think, cyberspace is one grand exercise in existentialism!

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking (dun dun dun..!), and here's a radical notion... what if this "life" and "world" as we know it is actually just one big story, one big time period of history that's already happened, but is being... for lack of a better word... "told" again, and we're just in it? I saw something on the History channel the other night about the "Bible code", where these people figured out codes in the Bible that predict many things that have already happened today.. 9/11, the capture of Saddam Hussein, etc., and things that apparently are going to happen or are happening, such as extreme weather all over the planet in the years just before the Apocalypse, a war between Lebanon and Syria, an asteroid in 2012 either striking the earth or coming close but being destroyed by the hand of God, etc., and I thought, what if the Bible is one big history book, recording everything that has already happened, and the whole story was just... "rewound" and "played" again?

Well, that's the deepest thing I've said all week.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like determinism, which messed with my head when I read about it. It's the idea that since every action/reaction in the universe follows set rules (including even brain chemistry), theoretically every moment of the future can be predicted, thus making it already written. We'd just be experiencing it under the impression that we had free will, but all of our thoughts and actions would actually just be part of the domino chain.

Luckily quantum physics seems to toss determinism right out the window.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123