What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Existentialism

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
what do you all think of existentialism? i was just interested in all of your opinions.

I don`t know never heard of it Lol.

It can be depressing, but it may be one of the few universal truths humanity has uncovered: Life only has meaning if you put it there.

It's an equally terrifying and empowering notion.

I don't think much of it myself.

Jerry

i guess not many people are interested
smile.gif

Wait, hold on... I took a course called Introduction to Philosphy as a freshman in college. We learned about Existentialism and Phenomenology.

Question: How do I know Clint really exists? I've never seen him. Even if I did, how do I know I am perceiving correctly?

exactly! i've always known about it, but then i saw I Heart Huckabees and it got me thinking. it's like my whole perception of reality is fading away... it's really spooky and i thought i knew about life and death and life after death and all that, but now i dont know.

I exist. Therefore I am existential! LOL!!!!!!

Yea, sometimes I feel that way.. Like what if what I'm doing right now is actually something else only I'm hearing it and seeing it this way?

Philosophy is a dangerous thing in the heads of the young.

tell me about it, Bruce. I feel like i'm tripping out..

it's still very interesting

By the link JLP posted I am existential. Although I justed considered myself to be realistic or a realist (my own word, I think)

To me it is just acceptance of what reality is. No depression for false realities, No happiness for shallow images. All things are a perception including time. If I lived in another galaxy, by our own deffinitions I would be either forward or backward in time. by moving to earth I could go back to the future or I could move fore the past. The sky is not blue but actually absolutely nothing which actually has an immeasurable mass. Grass is not green it is a reflection of the light spectrum. Our perception of others are a combination of what we and they wish to be. We are a specie seeking a niche which is no longer present.

Joe

Existentialism is fun - until you have to clean the catbox. Then it's time to return to reality.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Existentialism is fun - until you have to clean the catbox. Then it's time to return to reality.

Jimscott old boy, you're moving up on my hero list awful fast.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] realist (my own word, I think)
realism is a kind of painting/literature that portrays things how they are and not how they should be/etc. for example if you're painting your friend, you paint every wrinkle and every ugly nasty festering pimple (LOL) you see and not omit them from it. In literature, you write about normal and ordinary people, racial discrimination in the workplace and how they all go to *cough cough* certain places for fun...
you portray things realistically and not ideally.

btw... I haven't read all of it so I won't comment on it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Mar. 06 2005,5:12)]Jimscott old boy, you're moving up on my hero list awful fast.
laugh.gif
Thanks, Jon... I think.

Hey, just think, cyberspace is one grand exercise in existentialism!

I've been thinking (dun dun dun..!), and here's a radical notion... what if this "life" and "world" as we know it is actually just one big story, one big time period of history that's already happened, but is being... for lack of a better word... "told" again, and we're just in it? I saw something on the History channel the other night about the "Bible code", where these people figured out codes in the Bible that predict many things that have already happened today.. 9/11, the capture of Saddam Hussein, etc., and things that apparently are going to happen or are happening, such as extreme weather all over the planet in the years just before the Apocalypse, a war between Lebanon and Syria, an asteroid in 2012 either striking the earth or coming close but being destroyed by the hand of God, etc., and I thought, what if the Bible is one big history book, recording everything that has already happened, and the whole story was just... "rewound" and "played" again?

Well, that's the deepest thing I've said all week.

Back