Thread: Animals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so what IS conciousness again?
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] Creatures that don't make conscious choices don't need to feel pain to stay safe... their bodies simply need to automatically cause them to escape. They aren't going to resist.
    so you don't think that ANY other animal besides mammals and birds is concious so they don't feel pain or suffer? that they're just reacting to stimuli?
    so what IS pain and suffering anyway? isn't that exactly what it is? reacting to stimuli? the nerves send out impulses that tell the brain to make that thing hurt so you stop doing what you're doing. Pain is the way you know to stop doing something... I think ALL animals feel pain. I don't think they need conciousness for that.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what consciousness is... people are still trying to figure it out. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Self-awareness?

Have you ever been asleep, and you suddenly wake up, or go from not dreaming to dreaming, or whatever... and when it happens you think to yourself, "Wait, here I am, but where was I a second ago?" You literally weren't aware you existed until that point. You may even vaguely remember that something was going on in your brain before, but you just weren't there at the time. To me, that's the difference between being conscious and not.

I'm in the middle of a couple books on the subject. I wish I was finished with them so I'd have some help wording things better.

And, yeah, that's another problem... definition of pain. It's one of those words with a lot of baggage. There's nerve impulses, and there's psychological experience. In my mind, pain refers to the psychological experience. Nerve impulses are just... nerve impulses. When you say the word "pain", most people imagine something far beyond stimuli.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well none of them are AS smart as us, otherwise we wouldn't be exactly at the top of the food chain now would we?
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are at the top of the food chain? I can think of a few animals I don't care to be around however I don't think they really care if I'm around cause they know they could eat me.

I have to say this: Any animal that can masturbate is deffinately intelligent. Not being weird or gross, I'm just sayin cause that takes quite abit of advanced thought process. Like, primates and dolphins both do it besides humans.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, functions like pattern recognition, motor control, processing information from the senses (which requires tossing out massive amounts of data to quickly narrow down what's relevant at the moment), etc. all fit under the umbrella of "intelligence". They don't require consciousness.

And if you don't think simply looking around is an intelligence-driven process, you should know that it would take tens or even hundreds of millions of today's computers working in parallel (and requiring much more power) to perform the processing our brains do just on the input coming from our eyes in real time, and that's not even including the fusing of those two images into a single view in stereo to determine distances. Good thing we're analog and not digital, huh. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

I don't know the ratios at the moment, but I believe much more of the human brain is devoted to these other functions than to consciousness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I didn't know that primates and dolphins masterbate [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] I thought they just had sex,LOL.*Trapper7*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, strangely enough they do. Actually I've seen footage of a human being "raped" by a dolphin. I don't know that it is exactly rape but the person was trying to get away and you know what the dolphin was tryin to get. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Primates "tug it" and dolphins rub against coral, rocks, people, any hard surface I guess so long as it isn't rough.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seen a show about T8imber Wolves and how they have these maps in their head and they can just run and know exactly where they are going at all times and if they haven't been there before they log it into the map and next time they will know. It was actually alot more complicated than that. It was really cool, I had no idea of just how intelligent and compass-like they are.

Joe

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast