What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God i hate ignorant ebay auctions

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
EVERY SINGLE TIME!
Tonight I'm lookin through moss listings cause I'm detailing my new chamber and I run across "RARE FINE TEXTURED SPANISH MOSS". I open it up and low-and-behold its that java fern crap you see at like PetsMart for Aqs'. Where in the world did they get spanish moss (parasitic epiphyte) out of an aquatic weed? They couldn't possibly be any more opposite, one lives in the water and the other in the air.
I see something stupid like that everytime I stop there. Thats why I have NEVER bought anything off of Ebay.

confused.gif

Joe

It's not ebay's fault but the seller who is responsible for the ads that you see. When they are submitted to Ebay they are all "formatted" to look the same but the words are the sellers, only the layout is ebays.
However, you can grow java moss epiphytically if there is very high humidity and/or water running over the surface of a log or something. I used to have a killifish vivarium with a waterfall going over some driftwood that I had tied java moss to. The waterfall ran a half hour four times a day and eventually the java moss covered the wood and I planted utrics and butterwort leaf cutings in the moss and they all did very well. What sort of moss are you looking for? Are you looking for living spanish moss? the grey stuff? Maybe someone from Florida will send you some otherwise look around at garden shops sometimes they have plants with that stuff packed on the soil surface, sometimes it's still slightly green and alive. I once got an alocacia with live spanish moss on it from target!

Just email ebay with the auction number and say it's not selling what is described. They'll take it off and maybe lower your blood pressure
smile_n_32.gif

Also I don't believe tht spanish moss is parasitic.

Worth looking into, Buster 1. I too always thought Spanish moss was just an epipyte, living on other plants, but not taking anything from them. RATS!! More study on top of my study. Joe, yer makin' me work again!

I think I read somewhere that it is parasitic but come to think of it, I have seen pictures of it growing on powerlines and generally hanging on anything. If that is true then it couldn't be parasitic by technical definition though I am sure it has no symbiotic relationship. I don't think it gives back or positively affects its host in anyway.

I'll check it out.

Swords, Not Java moss, (I forget the name) It's Java something and its a small aquatic sword plant like Brazil sword but much, much smaller. They seel it at PetsMart all the time.

Joe

Spanish moss is just an ordinary epiphyte, from all I've read about it. People give it a bad rap because it breaks the branches of more delicate trees when it's heavy with rainwater. Also, some people think it smothers trees, but normally it grows at the base of branches where it rarely interferes with the host's leaves. I think that people see Spanish moss growing happily on dead trees and just assume that the moss is the culprit.
~Joe

I wish I'd known people were willing to buy spanish moss when I lived in Georgia. I would have made a fortune.

I've bought TONS of good deals off of ebay. The most important thing to remember is to check feedback and ask questions if you are heistant about the product.

I love eBay! That's not to say there aren't some jerks on there. I've had my share of not-so-great deals. But by far, the people are great and good deals are to be had. If I see misinformation in a listing, I usually send them a message and tell them. 9 times out of 10 they are grateful to be educated. Every once in a while you get someone who doesn't bother to update their listing...which usually means they KNOW they false advertising.

I saw someone once listing a common ol' 50s Indian blanket ($45) as a late 1800s Navajo blanket (for $350!). I wrote and told them what they had and they pulled the listing. They had me ID another blanket they had so they didn't make the same mistake. They had been ripped off at an auction but they got their money back from the auction house.

You can get good plant deals there including orchids.

Come to think of it, I've bought nepenthes, sphagnum, lights, and an R/O water filter all on ebay. I've been lucky so far.

Capslock

I'm not saying everything or everyone. I just skim through usually and notice the mis-nomers. I don't congratulate all that get it right though. I have seen some good deals but have never had the uevos to buy there.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think I read somewhere that it is parasitic but come to think of it, I have seen pictures of it growing on powerlines and generally hanging on anything. If that is true then it couldn't be parasitic by technical definition though I am sure it has no symbiotic relationship. I don't think it gives back or positively affects its host in anyway
it's not parasitic. it can grow on powerlines, and it does have a symbiotic relationship: commensalism.
there are three types of symbiosis. mutualism, where both animals benefit, parasitism, where one benefits and the other is harmed, and commensalism (sp?) where one benefits and the other doesn't care (usually. unless there's too much of it)

I buy everything on ebay and have saved thousands of dollars. I get irritated when people see stupid things on ebay and say they don't like "ebay". Ebay isn't selling these things. They're simply a vessel for people to sell stuff through. If you had bad luck with ebay its because you either didn't research the buyer or a vast many other things......

FlipSide,
I'm not attacking you! Thats why the topic title is " God I hate ignorant ebay auctions" and not "I hate ebay because of the misinformation that they don't have time to sort through and allow you to purchase at your own risk"

Joe

yea I know you're not, didn't mean to sound abrasive...

Basically don't hate the game hate the player... lol:D

If I sounded like I meant differently I am sorry, I didn't mean to slam Ebay. I suppose some make honest mistakes it mostly the ones that seem too wrong to be honest that bug me. Such as the spanish moss. I have never been to the south or anywhere where it grows but I know what it looks like, I guess I assumed everyone knows what it looks like.
Flip,
I didn't mean to sound like an butthole

Joe

What I do not like is the fact that some people use photographs from other websites oftentimes without giving proper credits or getting the proper permission. Auction
The top photos are from Dean Cook's website, while the bottom photo is from the ICPS website under instructions for germinating Drosera seeds...Maybe the person did get permission, but probably not...I recognize quite a few photos from the sellers other auctions.

Back