Thread: God i hate ignorant ebay auctions

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EVERY SINGLE TIME!
    Tonight I'm lookin through moss listings cause I'm detailing my new chamber and I run across "RARE FINE TEXTURED SPANISH MOSS". I open it up and low-and-behold its that java fern crap you see at like PetsMart for Aqs'. Where in the world did they get spanish moss (parasitic epiphyte) out of an aquatic weed? They couldn't possibly be any more opposite, one lives in the water and the other in the air.
    I see something stupid like that everytime I stop there. Thats why I have NEVER bought anything off of Ebay.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not ebay's fault but the seller who is responsible for the ads that you see. When they are submitted to Ebay they are all "formatted" to look the same but the words are the sellers, only the layout is ebays.
    However, you can grow java moss epiphytically if there is very high humidity and/or water running over the surface of a log or something. I used to have a killifish vivarium with a waterfall going over some driftwood that I had tied java moss to. The waterfall ran a half hour four times a day and eventually the java moss covered the wood and I planted utrics and butterwort leaf cutings in the moss and they all did very well. What sort of moss are you looking for? Are you looking for living spanish moss? the grey stuff? Maybe someone from Florida will send you some otherwise look around at garden shops sometimes they have plants with that stuff packed on the soil surface, sometimes it's still slightly green and alive. I once got an alocacia with live spanish moss on it from target!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just email ebay with the auction number and say it's not selling what is described. They'll take it off and maybe lower your blood pressure [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also I don't believe tht spanish moss is parasitic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth looking into, Buster 1. I too always thought Spanish moss was just an epipyte, living on other plants, but not taking anything from them. RATS!! More study on top of my study. Joe, yer makin' me work again!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I read somewhere that it is parasitic but come to think of it, I have seen pictures of it growing on powerlines and generally hanging on anything. If that is true then it couldn't be parasitic by technical definition though I am sure it has no symbiotic relationship. I don't think it gives back or positively affects its host in anyway.

I'll check it out.

Swords, Not Java moss, (I forget the name) It's Java something and its a small aquatic sword plant like Brazil sword but much, much smaller. They seel it at PetsMart all the time.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spanish moss is just an ordinary epiphyte, from all I've read about it. People give it a bad rap because it breaks the branches of more delicate trees when it's heavy with rainwater. Also, some people think it smothers trees, but normally it grows at the base of branches where it rarely interferes with the host's leaves. I think that people see Spanish moss growing happily on dead trees and just assume that the moss is the culprit.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I've had good luck with ebay. In fact, I just bought a bunch of sphagnum moss on there:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....EAFB:IT

and:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....RFB:IID

I'm happy with 'em!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast