What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skull

my guess is some lizard or reptile of some sort... tell us all you know. where you found it, how big it is, teeth? lower jaw? anything.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 11 2005,7:54)]my guess is some lizard or reptile of some sort... tell us all you know. where you found it, how big it is, teeth? lower jaw? anything. But the lower "hook" like thing is pretty interesting. No teeth.
It's like nothing I've ever seen.. Found it in de ocean. That's all that was left, no lower jaw or anything.
Skull.jpg

Maybe that is the lower jaw... what's on top now looks like it could be a chin maybe. What does it look like turned over?

nah... the lower jaw doesn't have that part in the middle nor the back. it's definately the cranium part.

uhm.. who knows.. here's the pic though

Skull.jpg

It's not the lower jaw, it's the skull, there's the little brain cavity thing. Looks like nothing i've ever seen. I have no idea where the eyes would be, as there's no sign of the little bone that goes around it being broken off. A very odd thing.

I have a opossum skull I wear sometimes. On a necklace.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Mar. 11 2005,8:17)]I have a opossum skull I wear sometimes. On a necklace.

Joe
Is that what mine is? Just wonderin
smile_m_32.gif

Looks slightly similar but mine has a jaw bone and distinct eye sockets with very distinct canines.

Joe

interesting!
can you post a few clearer pics?
from a few angles?
and how big is it?

I would say it probably some kind of mammal..
seems too solid to be a fish skull,
fish skulls are very papery and flimsy..

Scot

Could it be some marine mammal? It almost looks like it has the elongated face of a walrus.
~Joe

Deffinately mammal or marsupial. Opposum, rat, raccoon, badger, etc....

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Mar. 11 2005,8:37)]are those 2 holes in the head?
yea, natural too i think.. notice the hole where the snout is. there would prolly be one on the other side but its incomplete.

ahh, did not notice everyone elses respones. I will get more photos soon. But with a 2 MP camera I am limited
biggrin.gif

I am no expert, but if you found it in the ocean, and it is relatively small (i may have missed it but I didn't see an indication of size) I think the skull is probably that of some type of sea bird. I don't see any teeth, a mammals teeth in the uppe jaw would almost certainly still be attatched.

However, birds have jaws that attatch far back on the skeleton, you can see the holes where the jaw hinged far back on the skull, and it is very possible that the beak was seperated right off the tip of the skull (closest to you in the pic)

in other words, I think what you have is the brain and nasal cavity, and ocular sockets, everything else is missing.

Conversely, there are some bony fish, and large ones at that, many larger fish have jaws that are independent of their skulls (like the barracuda) that is a possibility as well.

still think it's a bird though.

Could you give us a size? If it's big enough it could be a dolphin but then the eye sockets would be in the wrong place. What about pelican?

here is a seagull skull..
doesnt look like a match..

seagull

the thing that bothers me is the 2 openings in the front..
they dont look like eyesockets!
eyesockets are generally round..these are very elongated.
(I dont mean the 2 brown holes on the top..I mean the very front, the 2 elongated openings)
so what are they then?

here is a good collection of skulls:

skulls

Back