What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help from members who live in the

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Hey folks,
I am getting ready to get a tree frog in a couple weeks. It is a native to your area (Racophorus reinwardtii) Java blue-web gliding frog. I am trying to get an idea water salinity for the habitat areas. Please, any and all help is appreciated.

Rob (Borneo), If your paying attention I know you probably have the info I'm lookin for.

Thanks
Joe

Rob has a company named Borneo Exotics, but it is located in Sri Lanka. So he can perhaps now those facts from his travels but not because he is living in that area.

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Joe

I live in Bali in Indonesia, next to Java, and I am always over there in fact I'm going again on Wednesday for a while.
Can you give me some specifics on the habitat you are talking about and I'll see what I can find out.
I get around a lot so I may even have been there.

Cheers, Troy.

out of curiocity Joe, where in the world did you find that critter? ive come across gliding geckos in petshops here in Montana but i didnt think gliding frogs were very common here in the states. i never was much of an amphib guy though, i was into snakes. when you get pics of your set up, include a good one of the frog for me
smile_m_32.gif

Troy,
Well, I am not exactly sure except that i know they typically stay higher in the canopy and are touchy to water salinity. I read that with some tree frogs RO water is just as bad tap water because it's still extreme end of salt spec for water.

Here is the distribution area I found from a conservation Org. This copied from Livingunderworld.com

Natural Habitat & Distribution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R. reinwardtii are found in Indonesia, East Malaysia (Sabah and Sarawak - Borneo), Peninsular Malaysia, Vietnam, China, and Laos. Their natural habitat includes humid, tropical rainforests, where they spend the majority of time in tall trees.

Rattler,
I am going to great lengths to find this little frog in CB. I won't support WC animals. I will get a pic up ASAP. It's really coming together nicely. They are very difficult to locate within the states, to be honest I have searched thousands of online resources to locate a breeder in U.S. Expensive and rare make it a difficult find.

Joe

BTW Troy,
Welcome back, you disappeared a little after I first joined. If I remember right, your avatar was a guy sitting next to a pumpkin or something.

next question, im sure its a very cool looking(definatly interesting) frog but why didnt you go with the commonly bred red-eyed tree frogs? sorry to hijack your thread Joe and we can continue in PM if you wish but im sure others will ask yah the same ?'s here anyways.

oh and BRAVO! for taking on the effort and expence to find captive bred!

Rattler,
I am anything but common and my pets reflect that except my mutt dog. I always take the time to go the distance to have the rarest and most exotic and flat out eccentric and colorful animals. My other hobby passion is Panther Chmeleons but they are a bit pricey for me at the moment. I will have another again.

Joe

lol good enough explination. cant really argue with it, my favorite snake that i have kept is the false water cobra(Hydrodynastes gigas). very cool looking frog.

Strangely they are said to be easy to keep like a 'red eye' or White's Dumpy

Joe

i wouldnt doubt it especially if your getting a CB frog. getting a well acclimated animal is more than half the battle. i know that from keeping snakes. i would think their care would be quite similar. other than the webbed feet it looks remarkibly like the red-eyed tree frogs from the other side of the globe which would lead me to believe they are from the same basic ecological niche so should require similar care. besides if i remember right most of the tropical frogs are fairly easy to keep especially if you can get a CB specimen.

Hi Joe

Thanks for the welcome back.
First from Tony P and now you, I should go away more often.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BTW Troy,
Welcome back, you disappeared a little after I first joined. If I remember right, your avatar was a guy sitting next to a pumpkin or something.

Ha ha, but not quite.
That was me next to Rafflesia:
rafflesia-troy.jpg

Now, back to business.
If your froggy is from rainforest canopy then the salinity is going to be low, low, low; very few impurities.
This is the same country that many Neps come from and you know how fussy they are about their water.
I know nothing about frogs but if you are trying to imitate their native habitat then I would go for RO or distilled water.

Cheers, Troy.

Thanks Troy,
I appreciate the info.
Are Rafflesia plants or seed sold anywhere, they are extremely protected aren't they?

If you look at the pic of the frog I posted I am sure you've probably seen one since your tours seem to go through most of the habitat outlined. AHhh, it would be nice to live somewhere tropical.

Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe

Rafflesia seeds, they are microscopic and I have checked out a few old flowers but have never seen one.
The other problem is that Rafflesia is a parasite that lives inside a vine called Tatrastigma that winds itself around other trees in the jungle canopy. Unless you have the correct species of tetrastigma in your garden, not likely as it's a huge, thick and woody vine that would soon overtake any regular sized suburban garden, you have no hope of growing Rafflesia.

The areas that rafflesia grow in are SUPPOSED to be protected but hey, this is Indonesia, you can do anything here with a little graft.

I see a few frogs but I'm sorry to say that while I find them cute I don't have any idea what they are.

Cheers, Troy.

OOOHH man I would love one of them pumpkins in my garden too!

As for the frog.. well all I can tell you is.. It is cute too.

Tony

Hey Troy...you should post that pic in the "Post your Photo" thread now pinned at the top of the General Forum. That's a great one!
smile.gif

You look at a flower like that and you just have to be amazed at what Mamma Nature can do. Wow.

Whats the rules on bringing humus samples into U.S.? The reason I ask is because as some of you may know I have an interest in beneficial microbes. Well, I got to thinkin what better way to find out what is thriving in the soils and humus than to have samples and breed it. Also I have been doing ALOT of reading on the frog I am getting and it is said that it does better with nitrogen cycles in action and I was thinking about innoculating (I can't type that word without a smile on my face
biggrin.gif
) my tank. Since it is settup as an epi-tank and the frogs are canopy dwellers.

Troy, you've been most helpful. Whats the good word man?
Joe

Troy, how do you smile with that flower next to you?!
smile_t_32.gif
I actually held my breath when I saw that photo.
smile_m_32.gif
Now...*scrolls down to photo*...you do look like you're holding your breath! LOL

I am guessing from the tension in his face, that he is holding his breath.....
I take it they are really stinky?
If this was a sci-fi show, those spikes inside would launch out....

Cheers,

Joe

<<Bump>>

I am kinda hoping for an answer to my question above.

Back