What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wisconsin church shooting

I am ...shocked. I knew him from his posts, and may have corresponded with him in the past.
I will have to read all of this later. So sad, so sad.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 14 2005,9:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if you want to BAN (lol you prolly meant this) drugs, your BLAMING what drugs can do to people, ie BLAMING the DRUGS.
eerr.. yeah I did mean ban LOL
I don't blame drugs either. I blame the people who take them for being stupid. but ok, maybe that wasn't the best analogy. That's why i had two lol.
and what about nuclear weapons? do you blame the nuclear weapons or the people that use them? yet you want them banned don't you?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You're right. They don't. It's the dumb person who decides to pull the trigger.
I don't think anyone but the people who just want to bash gun control people said anything about the gun being to blame.

by the way... one thing is gun CONTROL and the other is a complete ban on guns. I'm for gun control, NOT banning all guns/weapons. Nobody needs a machine gun for "protection" if you ask me. Neither does each person in the house need 50 guns. the only reason for those kinds of things is to kill as many people as you can in the shortest period of time that you can. same with concealed weapons. If you want it for defense, showing it off is more effective than hiding it.
I'll debate on firearms only through PM. I know how it always turns out
confused.gif

To bad about the shooting...I am not sure if I ever recall him on the terra forums.
smile_h_32.gif
What was his name here?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To bad about the shooting...I am not sure if I ever recall him on the terra forums.
smile_h_32.gif
What was his name here?
I'm not sure if he was a member here. If he was I don't know his name. He was a member of the ICPS and the CP listserv.

Maybe there is a way to enter his email and see if a name pops up here.

This is the last post I'm going to make about gun control, If anybody wants to debate what I'm saying do it in a pm.
Alphawolf, I don't know what is so hard to understand about what I said. It was like an analogy, it's not really meant to be taken literally. It's not like I'm saying that somebody thinks the gun shot somebody by itself. It's more of a saying than actual fact. The English language is full of sayings like that. Somebody that thinks guns are the root cause for shootings and if you ban guns all the crime and violence will go away, is the same thing as saying they blame guns for the violence. The reason why you can't see that is beyond me. Maybe you're just too young to understand the difference. If somebody blewup a nuclear bomb in NY city, I wouldn't blame the bomb, I'd blame the group behind the attack and the person that set off the bomb.
Larry the cable guy said it best when he said that blaming guns for violence is the same as blaming my pencil for misspelled words.

I am glad that pft forum do not have any wacko's besides...uh nevermind.
smile_n_32.gif

I am not going to defend myself with a butter knife. Making more gun laws only prevent the law biting citizens from owning guns. Washington DC has the highest crime rate in the US because they have so many gun laws. A good book to read is More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun-Control Laws by John R. Lott Jr.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I can confirm Terry Ratzmann of New Berlin, Wisconsin, was a member of
the ICPS.

-- John Brittnacher

International Carnivorous Plant Society
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/

The last time concealed carry came to a vote in Illinois, it missed by one lousy vote.  I, for one, look forward to the day we have this. The decrease in crime experienced after this becomes a reality will be irrefutable.

Well I think the we can end all the questioning about this.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ratzmann lived with his mother and sister in New Berlin, Wis., police say.

This is from an article at http://www.cbc.ca/story....13.html

I am now sadly 100% sure that it's the same guy.

'may have been angry about a sermon given two weeks ago'

wonder what made him THAT mad?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 14 2005,10:41)]'may have been angry about a sermon given two weeks ago'

wonder what made him THAT mad?
Thats what I'm really waiting to hear also.

wow that is sad I even sent it him some Nepenthes seeds last August. I
still have the sase he sent me.

-Jeremiah-

I think everyone has been quite civil, pro and con. Everyone here has made great points, vis a vis their views on the gun thing.

Want guns? Have them....but please keep them away from my family!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 14 2005,4:30)]Maybe you're just too young to understand the difference.
I love this line.. seems like adults like to fall back on it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 14 2005,4:30)]If somebody blewup a nuclear bomb in NY city, I wouldn't blame the bomb, I'd blame the group behind the attack and the person that set off the bomb.
You are basically agreeing with Luis.. so why are you arguing?

Hey there, AA.  In reviewing what you posted I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from. I don't believe in an instant that comment was made to hurt your feelings. Please have patience with all of us over the hillers.  

I am pushing 50 years of age and as a result of this, I most certainly have experiences that would differ from yours at age 15.  My experiences make me who I am just as yours make you who you are. We all will have viewpoints that are "uniquely" us. That does not make adults right by default but on occasion, it does enable some to make more quantified and qualified decisions... not always though as passion can and often does defy logic and then the waters really do get muddy.  

Oh and aprilh... I'm a givin' the maid a gun as soon as concealed carry passes here. (tease)

Holy smokes! (pun intended)

Miss one day on the forum, and see what you miss?

I must admit I vascillate on the issue of gun control. However, most days I tend to agree that when everyone has a gun, no one want to use it.

My wife will freak when she sees this!

I posted this on the CP LIstserv

Can anyone recommend any good CP sites near the Outer Banks?  I will be visiting there next week on a much needed vacation.  I know its near Flytrap Country but I have no clue where a good park, preserve, etc. would be.  I will be googling tonight to see what I can find.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Glenn

and look who responded.

Okay I'll jump in here too.  Not with an answer though.

I will be in Bateman's Bay for 9 days at the end of this month.  Temps should be in the low 70's day, 50's ate night.  Anyone know of any CP places to photograph?  I am hoping to have a really good digital for the trip.  I should be able to travel & explore after I've adjusted to the extreme change from Wisconsin.  

Anyone have a clue as to where I will be?

Terry Ratzmann

While it is true that the USA has one of the highest (or was it THE highest? i forget) rate of gun ownership in the developed world, you might need one in some instances to protect your family, and to feel safe knowing you can protect them. But i feel rapid fire guns like macine guns or uzi's are unececarry for protection, and would be a bit overkill.

sometimes the "mature" people just forget... but hey, maybe I'm just too young to understand the difference so who cares what I say.

Just remember, "Guns don't kill kids, KIDS kill kids."

LOL! I'm just messing around. I support the 2nd Amendment, but also acknowlege it results in more violence in the streets. Our muder rate is staggeringly high.

Capslock

Back