What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test your percentage of dixie/yankee

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date
eep! double post. stupid computers (this time it WAS the computer!)

53% Dixie...I live in Canada!*Niki*

63% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

*dances* Uh-huh.. oh yeah... uh-huh..

56% Dixie...lived in the Midwest since I was 12(moved from NC). Apparently can't take it all out of me, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

56% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

Surprise! me and Griffin are the same score.

I don't consider myself southern at all. Never been there except one time for a week in FL for Football championship. Pop, sodas are a fountain thing with ice cream. I say bag for plastic and sack for paper - I picked bag though cause I usually get plastic. Never used a drive through liqour store though we do have 'em.

Joe

FTG, How come your not 100% your the proudest southerner I've known.

Joe

See, SIH? Ya can't do the Griffin under now. You share too much. Me, I am a southern boy with northern pronunciations! 62% Dixie. Born In Texas, and raised in the Big Sky country. Wouldn't have traded that for Nepenthes rajah!!!!

I'm a yankee! I still don't understand the whole southern pride thing. I really have no idea why people from Texas have to let you know they are in every sentence. EX. While discussing morals, a guy not involved in the conversation suddenly joins. He starts his take on the situation, "I'm from Teaxas and we...." Dr. Phil can't give his opinion withou first letting you know he is from Texas and so is his opinion.

Bug,
Tell me man, you're from Texas; Why do Texans need to let the rest of the country know as if opinions, thoughts, and feelings in Texas are different and need to be specified. I'v always wondered. Maybe this is a Yankee question. I don't know.

Joe

Dang 33% Yank, looks like I am quite abit more northernly then most people here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (moonflower @ Mar. 16 2005,8:16)]50% Barely into the Yankee category. which is interesting because i've had numerous people tell me i don't have an accent ("you're from long island? wow, you don't sound like it." which always leads me to wonder what they THINK i should sound like!!!). and here i land right in the middle!

lol except i think they need to have their own test just for new york accents which don't fall under either category... the Long Island, the Brookyln, the Western New York...
Heather, I lost my "Lawn-guy-land" accent when I went to SUNY at Plattsburgh. Too many Rochester friends and their "flat A's" & "bossy R's".

You still know what good pizza and Chinese food tastes like, right?

Troy and Alexis...y'all crack me up. lol What is a posh and a pom?? And what the H is a yabbie??

Aunt is "AHnt" to me. And for some reason, some people say "car-mel" for caramel. Never had understood that. Don't you folks see the "A" in the middle??!

Troy...TP'ing and "rolling"...I use both terms--that is what you do to someone you don't like. You take a whole bunch of rolls of toilet paper and in the dead of the night, you throw the rolls up in trees, up around someone's house, around their cars...around anything you possibly can. Person wakes up the next morning to find their house and yard is white...they've been "rolled". Toilet paper is draped over EVERYTHING. If it rains, you have a really big mess with soggy TP all over the place.

I never rolled anybody but I've seen it done many a time. Its a very nasty prank although it doesn't really cause any damage. Just a big mess to clean up. When you've been rolled, you pretty much know someone out there thinks you're a goober.

I DO NOT advocate TP'ing! It still **vandalism** and can get you in a heckuva lot of hot water. So don't anyone be getting any ideas...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]LOL Alvin
I, along with 20,000,000 other Aussies all say Aunt that way, never had the poms call us "posh" before though.

Ah, it's not easy to put across an Australian accent from one word. I thought you sounded like the queen - baaaath, ghaaastly
smile_n_32.gif

PlantAKiss: posh originally stood for Port Out, Starboard Home. Rich people travelling by boat paid for these seats so the could see the sun rise on the way out and the sunset on the way home. Posh is anyone who is rich/arrogant/speaks a certain way
smile.gif

As for poms, that's a derogatory (but friendly) term used by Australians for the British.

Well, I knew "posh" meant rich/arrogant/shi-shi...I thought maybe there was some other "foreign" meaning I wasn't aware of. I didn't know that was the derivation though. Cool!

So I guess when you hear the word "pom pom" thats an Australian talking about British twins?
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]sodas are a fountain thing with ice cream.

Dude, those are ice cream floats!  

Who asked about the "car-mel" pronounciation of caramel?  Troy?  It's actually somewhat of a joke in my neck of the woods....There's even a candy bar commercial where Shak and some kid argue about how to say it.  
I think the dropped sylable happened because some of us are in just too big a hurry to speak correctly.

Ever hear the word "Jeet?"  It really is "Did you eat?"

I also have a theory that pronouced letters migrate.  I.E.  In Boston, while you may "Pahk the cah in Havahd yahd" (park the car in Harvard yard), those r's migrate someplace in the south were one might use a "terlet" or invest in "earl" wells....
Or they may just get homesick, come back, and a Bostoner drinks a soder or has an id-er.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]FTG, How come your not 100% your the proudest southerner I've known.

Probably the long, deep line of Yankees I descend from.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And for some reason, some people say "car-mel" for caramel.  Never had understood that.  Don't you folks see the "A" in the middle??!

Hey, I say "car-ml"! The A is silent, like the E in "cape" ^_^

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dude, those are ice cream floats!

No they are NOT. They're root beer floats.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ever hear the word "Jeet?"

No, I DIDN'T eat, and I'm @#$% hungry, too!!

For some unknown reason, this whole family has NEVER said the word "toilet". It's "comode." Don't ask me why. I'm trying to wean myself off of that, because I'm certain it must be a Yankee thing, but the habit stays.

How do y'all say "roof"? Do you say it to rhyme with "goof" or "rough"? I have no clue why so many people say it to rhyme with "rough". And when I say the word "hoof", it rhymes with "woof".. but my riding instructor Jesse says the word "hoof" to rhyme with "goof".. is that a Texas thing??

A few years ago the neighbor kid (a year older than me) TPed his own house while his mom was out o_O

I TP all de time.. what's so wrong with that?
confused.gif

I would. IF I HAD A LIFE/CONTACT WITH THE OUTSIDE WORLD.

TP'ing, Oh the stories I could tell.

Jeet yet? Nah, ju? Nah, yant to? Aye ight!
biggrin.gif

It's all a bathroom to me. I rarely specify a toilet, but if I do I call it a trollet. Camode I think is a war era thing. EU's use a water closet. Or put a stick in the corner. (Don't ask)

Do you watch TV in the Frontroom or Livingroom? Once there do you sit on a sofa or a couch?

Personally its a couch in the frontroom.
Joe

Back