Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omg! you would not beleive this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Lordie lordie, I wasn't disagreeing with superimposedhope... I was typing when he was typing.

You know something Joe, there's absolutely nothing wrong with manual labor. My Father is a functionally illiterate brick layer and he got all of our happy rear ends through our undergrad years. It was student loans after that but he did co-sign for us. He never could help us with our homework but... he made sure we got it done.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I am not knockin the manual laborers. I am one! I just think every parent at least good ones want so much more for their children. I want my kids to understand hard work and the value of money earned but I don't want my kids to have a broken back like I do. I'm only 24 and have a herniated disc and more than 16 fractures to my ribs. My body is hardened with scars, bruises, and broken bones. Thats the life of a manual laborer. It'll always be that way!
    Laura, the last part is NOT directed at you!
    I want a better, more fulfilling life for my kids and now one has a shot at it, whether anyone else like it or not.
    Just for the record: My daughter earned this privilige on her own through studying math concepts not yet discussed in her class, so when they got to addition she could already subtract, use money. She spent time she could be doin other intelligent rewarding things like OH....watchin T.V., playing games, screwin around on the computer (like most kids, which serveys show are terribly lazy, overweight, generally lacking any beneficial skills). So I don't wanna hear from people about indoctrinating anybody, apparently kids aren't being indoctrinated enough otherwise maybe they would have some kind of ambition besides beating Xbox games.

I am just trying to share some pride about my child and I get a F*cking debate about indoctrinating my child. So, when kids who worked hard early and skipped crap like game systems, T.V. to read and learn are employing the un-indoctrinated kids and bring home salaries tripling theirs, don't wonder why.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] $uperimposedhope [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another person who thinks that tv and game systems are brain drains! I must tell you we broke down and bought GameBoys though last year... it made driving any distance with more than one much more pleasurable. I have to admit the "who has the longest french fry" fight combined with "how many more minutes until we're there" followed by "he's in my space" "he's touching me" and the ever dreaded "he's looking at me now" got to us. GameBoy and Excederin became our best travel companions.

You might want to consider putting a butterfly net and a very simple 10x magnifying glass in your daughter's Easter basket this year. I've got a great set of directions for a bug hotel that kids as young as 5 can make themself if you are interested, just pm me. I can't tell you what an appreciation for nature our kids have gained by walking down to the pond with us or walking down the rail road tracks with their nets and hotels. Report cards always have A's for science on them in this house. I'm out of this thread now as I have a headache. Keep up all the good parenting with your daughter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is truly a cool opportunity for your child. I am a firm believer in "shoot for the stars, even if you miss, your still going in the right direction." I think that many children do poorly in public schools because they are not challenged and we sadly teach a doctrine that it's never your fault in schools these days, did you here recently that a school system outlawed red ink for grades? because the 'stigma' of red ink could hurt the childs emotions... give me a break.

I am happy for the opportunity your daughter has, she is building a firm foundation for her future and probably having a blast doing it. I sure wish I knew how to handle money when I got out on my own, and I made pretty shabby stock choices as well (thought that seems to be turning around. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] )

Your daughter is going to have a leg up on all the other kids her age when she graduates highschool/college, she will have some real world experience... and who knows, long before then she may convince you to invest in the next Intel or Microsoft...

Do you think they would let a 29 year old child audit the courses? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the compliments,
    While I do normally enjoy an intelligent arguement, this is not a debate and furthermore demeans and undermines my efforts as a father to make the very best decisions for my daughter. While in a meeting with my daughters teacher a few weeks back she told me "It's unfortunate that you are the only parent who contacts me, cause your daughter is not the only child with difficulties".

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Joe, I know you're real busy but when ever you have a spare moment in the future would you please share any other programs being offered to your daughter and her classmates that are innovative and "kid friendly"? I'm sure there will be more as she gets further into the curriculum. I'd be most appreciative. Thanks much, Laura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the name of this school is Conestoga and there is also a school with the same type of programs but it is science in stead. It's called King Science center. I toured it as a child myself, the coolest school you'll ever see for grade school. Complete with its own planetarium. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] Those are the only 2 I know of in OPS.

BTW, I have a PS2 myself but time is limited and my daughter spends less than an hour a month on it and I spend maybe an hour a week on it. Just better things to do, but it is fun in MODERATION. I also don't have cable cause well, 300+ still nothin on worth watchin except the Discovery series of channels but it costs too much to only watch 4or 5 channels.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An elementary school with its own planetarium! Well, at least your district is using tax money properly. Our school district purchased lap top computers for every teacher, aid, and staff member to include the school nurse and then they hired staff to support the laptops and purchased wireless for them all. Sad because the desk top computers in the labs for the kids are antiquated and some even have the old WIN95 operating system on them. I'm thinking that a few state of the art desktops could have been purchased for every classroom that the teachers would have had easy access to with all the money spent on laptops for the staff that the kids will most assuredly never be able to touch. I will say no more about our district's expenditures or I will get a headache again. Greater parent involvement could have probably stopped that purchase, shame they don't seem to have more actively involved parents around here. Wish I lived in your neck of the woods.

What is a PS2?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast