What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone, im new

Hey everyone, I just found this site a couple days ago. I love it! I started my Plant hobby monday! hehe.. March 14, 2005 .. I bought 2 typical VFT's and Love them. I have them in a 2 1/2 gal tank with a glass top and a fluorex light bulb. The soil I use is Peat Moss.

A little about me:
I live in Northern Virginia, (so if you live around me drop me a line, I want to learn as much about these VFT's and Sundews as possible) Heck all CP's hehe. Anyways I've talked to a couple of people on these boards so far and everyone has been extremely nice to me.

I guess Im just looking for different type of VFT, I really like the red colored ones and ones with BIG traps. Also I like the red sundews too. Something about the red color attracts me. hehe.
I hope my collection will get bigger soon. Im eager to have a nice Terrarium and maybe get enough to grow in a bigger terrarium or even outside.
smile.gif

Happy Growing everyone!

Thank you. Enjoy your time here on the forums. Everyone here wants to help out, so feel free to ask as many questions as you can, and learn your plants!

Hi! I just joined about 2 weeks ago,so I'm fairly new to CP's as well.I would also REALLY like to have a Big Mouth VFT but I don't know where to get one
smile_h_32.gif
I've got 3 of those sundews that you want.I believe they're the Cape Sundews(D.capensis)with the nice red tentacles,but don't take my word for it,lol.I also have a Butterwort
smile.gif
Anyways,I hope you have a great time here.The people here are very nice and friendly.If by any chance you figure out a place to get one of those "Giant" breed VFT's,PLEASE let me know
smile.gif
See ya!*Trapper7*(Niki)

I have been here over a year now and I am still new. You'll meet folks and see plants that make you feel so new but every word you learn and every plant you get is a step on a long staircase. It's addicting! You'll also find experts in just about every Genus. Personally I'm a Nep-man but I haved still to learn so much. It is also a very proud moment when you know you're ready to build a chmber or start a community terrarium .

Good Luck and Have fun,
Joe

P.S. Don't be discouraged by deaths along the way. They are learning experiences and a death should not be in vain. We've ALL killed a plant or 10 along the way.
smile_m_32.gif

I'm still a newbie at 18 months. Learned a lot about CP's and pc's from this forum.

Thanks for the welcome guys/girls. Hope to speak with everyone here.

Well Hi there....welcome to the forums!  And YAY for another Virginian!!  
biggrin.gif
I'm in Richmond. We have Bob in Winchester; Mike is in Richmond too. Am I missing any other Virginians?

You are embarking on a dangerous journey.  Won't be long before you'll be hunting for more space for MORE plants.  hehe  Its an addiction but a fun one.

Hope you have fun participating with the community.  You couldn't meet a nicer bunch o' folks.  But you gotta watch out for some of those mods...some of them are kinda crazy...  
smile_m_32.gif

question about Virginia Humidity. Is it ok fo rme to keep my VFTs outdoors? I wasn't sure on how the humidity was in No. VA.

I spent the first 18 years of my life in Luray, VA... a little town about an hour south of Winchester.
I will most likely move back there within the next two years.

I love Luray Caverns. Beautiful place. I also collect 50s dinnerware called LuRay Pastels...named after some of the soft colors in the caverns. Its a very pretty area.

You actually do not need to worry about humidity too much with VFTs. They are not tropical plants. They do well indoors but I'd recommend outdoors where they can function more naturally. Virginia's climate isn't too much different than North Carolina where the flytraps grow. So they are an easy plant to grow here. Mine stay out year 'round.

Humidity becomes more of an issue with some sundews and neps depending on the species.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you're like the typical member here, you'll soon be infected with "gotta catch 'em all" syndrome, and need more growing space.

I recommend building an indoor greenhouse like this:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/sarraceniascott/3248.html

Holy COW S.S.! Really encouraging the "hold your nose and jump in" approach, eh?

Welcome aboard, jlui83! Hope you enjoy. You have an ideal outdoor environment where you are for VFT's. Also Sarracenia (North american pitcher plants), several types of sundews, butterworts, bladderworts....

hey thanks guys.. I feel at ease now that I know that Virginia is pretty ideal for these types of plants.

Scott...I have that same shelving only minus the rollers.

I've had my eye on a similar garment holder on rollers that has no shelving to use as a nep chamber (hang the plants). I've been hunting for some clear polyvinyl like that and have yet to locate any. Never thought of using a shower curtain. I'd still like to find that stuff by the roll though.

Really nice set up.
smile.gif

Yeh Scott.. I LOVE the unit.. I actually have that shelving unit myself. But i dont have the fluorescent light fixtures... Maybe i'll try that later.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's addicting!
VERY addicting. and not just carnivorous plants either! I'm also getting into orchids, african violets, terrarium animals, passionflowers, etc... I still only have 2 orchids, a couple of AV's, and only 1 species of passionflower but you gotta start somewhere!

yeh, I have to admit this is very addicting

Back