What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amphibian development

My Webpage
the first are the spotted salamander eggs (most of them are clear like that but some are milky. Many of them will turn green later on... couldn't find the pictures of the green eggs)
Then there are pictures of when they hatched. I also don't have the eggs under the microscope because they were to big :p. They didn't have any legs at first. then they grew front legs, then back legs, they they grew more... then they died :p (ok, not all of them died but most of them did so I decided to let the others go) the big larva on the pictures is another species (I think) and I found it when it was 1 1/2'' long. it had tiny back legs with fully developed front legs. Then it's gills began to shrink, it changed color, and it's tail began to get rounder. That's when it escaped  
mad.gif
I was just about to let it go!
the rest of the pictures are chorus frog eggs. They're in the treefrog family. as you can see, the eggs are really slimy. you can see the egg development (kind of), then everyone knows how they develop as tadpoles so I didn't put them there (well... I did put one of the tadpole. you can see the tiny back leg bud.) but if you don't know, they're born without legs, then they grow back legs, then front legs, they come out of the water and loose their tail (you can see a pictue of that... I think the flower on the background is a wild violet)... I also included some of my favorite frog (I let the others go) when it was eating. (after a while I let it go too because I didn't want to find food for it during winter. Yes... I did let it go BEFORE winter so it would have time to adjust!!!)

oh yeah... and you can see the "gills" of the tadpole when it was little. that's as far as they grow. I'm going to try and find the pictures of the eggs with the algae too.

If Laura asked for it why are you making a whole new thread publicly on it?

because others may want to see the pictures or know what to expect... Dino for example.

Back