Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss beliefs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]can't he make it a little easier to believe then? more than half the world isn't christian. are they all going to hell? He would be nice if he at least gave us some reason to believe.
    He made the world around us in a way that points to him, so we have no excuse not to at least acknowledge his existence.
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 22 2005,11:00)]Well avoiding ETERNAL punishment is entirely up to you. Nobody is going to force it on you.
    Sounds a little like filling a field with landmines, and innocently saying, "Nobody forced you to step there," every time someone gets blown to bits.

Isn't that passing the buck?

(Or do you mean you don't believe in the traditional hell either?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buddhism is actually a philosophy or a religion. It depends on the form of Buddhism, however to follow the Buddha's original teachings it would be considered a philosophy. Siddhartha considered himself a man not a god, and his teaching was an end to suffering. The religion came about later, and would take to long to explain how and why. I guess Voltaire was right "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him".

Oh, and the Qu'ran was given to Mohammad by the angel Gabriel not directly from Allah. Also you will find that the Torah and Bible are templates for the Qu'ran as the Qu'ran is supposed to supercede these books.

As for all your beliefs to each their own. Who would have thought studying philosophy, one would learn about the many world religions.
    \"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.\" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Sounds a little like filling a field with landmines, and innocently saying, "Nobody forced you to step there," every time someone gets blown to bits.

Isn't that passing the buck?

(Or do you mean you don't believe in the traditional hell either?)
    If its a field with landmines, then you've been given a map showing the path to take through the field. If you dismiss the map as a bunch lies, that's your problem.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Mar. 22 2005,7:19)]but in the same manner of logic not being able to explain something means that supernatural causes could be just as likely as natural. Without evidence that shows how or why something happens both explainations are equally valid. Saying that everything can be explained by natural laws would also require complete and perfect knowledge of the universe, which is something that humans are very far from achieving (if its even possible).
    What you are suggesting is called "The God of the Gaps" argument. The problem with it is that a gaps deity gets weaker as our knowledge increases.

Not being able yet to explain a phenomenon simply means we have yet to discover the natural cause; it does not mean there is no natural cause. I think attributing some mysterious occurrence to the supernatural is merely a cop-out, replacing an unsolved mystery with an inscrutible one.

This is not to say that faith has nothing to offer. I think faith is best left to answer the WHY behind the HOW; science gives you the HOW, but it does not (and can not) address the WHY. That is where faith lies.

Science employs methodological naturalism. This does not claim that there are no supernatural influences; it merely states that nature is the only objective, measurable standard we have by which to gain knowledge of the universe.

I take it a step further and extend it to philosophical naturalism: I do not believe any supernatural forces exist. As a scientist, I cannot back that claim up; I recognize it is a belief, and that science can offer no evidence either way on such matters. I simply feel nature is big enough to explain everything and feel supernatural claims tend to violate Occam's Razor.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 23 2005,9:56)]If its a field with landmines, then you've been given a map showing the path to take through the field. If you dismiss the map as a bunch lies, that's your problem.
    Many different groups have been given different maps. Each group is convinced their map is the correct one.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Science employs methodological naturalism. This does not claim that there are no supernatural influences; it merely states that nature is the only objective, measurable standard we have by which to gain knowledge of the universe.

I take it a step further and extend it to philosophical naturalism: I do not believe any supernatural forces exist. As a scientist, I cannot back that claim up; I recognize it is a belief, and that science can offer no evidence either way on such matters. I simply feel nature is big enough to explain everything and feel supernatural claims tend to violate Occam's Razor.
    No1. I think we all agree that nature/science is about the only way to find out about nature and the such... so why are we disagreeing about that? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

No2. I firmly believe there are things that will and have happened that can not be explained. They are natural though... super-natural. HA I amaze myself... I can never think of witty answers until later and yet I just came up with one!!!!

No3. What the heck does Occam's Razor mean? I'm only a 9th grader.

Quote[/b] ]Quote (Rubra @ Mar. 23 2005,9:56)
    If its a field with landmines, then you've been given a map showing the path to take through the field. If you dismiss the map as a bunch lies, that's your problem.

Many different groups have been given different maps. Each group is convinced their map is the correct one.
    Yep, that is true, but it will be a VERY LONG time before we find out which one is the right map. Everyone hopes it's their's that's for sure.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Many different groups have been given different maps. Each group is convinced their map is the correct one.
    The thing is only people in one group personally know the cartographer.
    the cellist