Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss beliefs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 23 2005,1:59)]The thing is only people in one group personally know the cartographer.
    Each group is equally convinced they're that group. This can go on forever.

My originial point was if you fill a field with mines... chances are it's your fault if someone gets hurt. Blaming the victim would be outrageous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Mar. 23 2005,1:51)]No1. I think we all agree that nature/science is about the only way to find out about nature and the such... so why are we disagreeing about that?
    Sorry. I spent a fair amount of time debating fundamentalists about creation vs. evolution, among other things, and one of the core issues is the nature and validity of the scientific method, i.e.-- what the difference is between science and faith, so this exact issue comes up pretty frequently.

Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Mar. 23 2005,1:51)]No2. I firmly believe there are things that will and have happened that can not be explained. They are natural though... super-natural. HA I amaze myself... I can never think of witty answers until later and yet I just came up with one!!!!
    Sure, there are plenty of phenomena that are not yet explained. But there exist natural explanations for them, and if we spend the time and energy to investigate them, we will discover them.

Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Mar. 23 2005,1:51)]No3. What the heck does Occam's Razor mean? I'm only a 9th grader.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_Razor

Simply put, Occam's Razor states that the simplest complete explanation is usually the best.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Each group is equally convinced they're that group. This can go on forever.
    Actually only people in one group actually know him. Every other monotheist group I know of considers God as some remote being, who's good will you have to earn.
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (KingShaman @ Mar. 23 2005,9:09)]Buddhism is actually a philosophy or a religion. It depends on the form of Buddhism, however to follow the Buddha's original teachings it would be considered a philosophy. Siddhartha considered himself a man not a god, and his teaching was an end to suffering. The religion came about later, and would take to long to explain how and why. I guess Voltaire was right "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him".

Oh, and the Qu'ran was given to Mohammad by the angel Gabriel not directly from Allah. Also you will find that the Torah and Bible are templates for the Qu'ran as the Qu'ran is supposed to supercede these books.
    your definition of religion is differnt than mine, which is fine, but from my studies of buddhism i have to say it is a religion and always has been. From what i gathered about siddhartha teachings it was a religion, but i know that is something people debate.

And the qu'ran was given by the archangel gabriel, but gabriel only relayed the word of god, so it is ispired directly from god or allah (which is just arabic for god). Also the torah and the bible are considred tainted by man, although they have some validity muslism feel that the word of god was corrupted by man and that is why mohammad was given the qu'ran.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]He made the world around us in a way that points to him, so we have no excuse not to at least acknowledge his existence.
    obviously it doesn't point to him as not even half the people in the world are christian. And that's not counting the ones who SAY they're christian but are not. In indonesia/mexico/africa/etc. millions of people say they're christian but they also believe in witchcraft and other religions. And I can say that from experience (sheesh... one time we went to Chihuahua and there was the creepiest market I had ever seen. mingled among crucifixes and christian saints and everything were dead dried hummingbirds, lizards, snakes, etc...) . Will God really send more than half the people in the world to hell because he obviously didn't give us a good reason to choose christianity over other religions? I don't know about you but if god would really do that, I know PEOPLE who are nicer than God.
    Quote[/b] ]Sounds a little like filling a field with landmines, and innocently saying, "Nobody forced you to step there," every time someone gets blown to bits.
    exactly!
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 23 2005,3:22)]
    Quote[/b] ]Each group is equally convinced they're that group. This can go on forever.
    Actually only people in one group actually know him. Every other monotheist group I know of considers God as some remote being, who's good will you have to earn.
    What about polytheism? I mean Athena was real to Homer and certainly not remote. Neither wer any of the other gods/goddesses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if I was "god" I would use people as my minions. To do my bidding.
    Oh wait, the Pope already did that. Darn I thought I had a new idea.

Someone explain to me what Jesus is. No seriously, what is he/it. If he/it was the son of "god" and a human that would make him a demi-god. SOP you would be worshipping 1.5 gods. Or if he is "the same god" as people have told me you are worshipping two halfs or three thirds (If you count the wholy spirit thingy).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ](If you count the wholy spirit thingy).
    HOLY spirit. LOL
    speaking of that... what's the holy spirit anyway?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything