Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss beliefs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we could God "it" since god would either be a hamaphrodite (sp?) or Eunich depending on your definintion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why could "god" just now want you to accnolege it. And how would you explain thbose of us who don't. why is it always "love"?
    Thanks for the info on H-3, I know it was useful (nuke effeciency).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 25 2005,5:56)]Well we could God "it" since god would either be a hamaphrodite (sp?) or Eunich depending on your definintion.
    It wouldn't have chromosomes. Any reference at all to gender is irrelevant. Likewise with any trait dependant on being organ-based, chemistry-based, material, temporal, etc.

When envisioning God people seem to start with a person and then try to strip away everything that doesn't fit (which is quite possibly all of it), instead of just starting from scratch and looking at the universe as we currently understand it and really asking themselves what it means to be omnipotent and omniscient (and then they have to ask themselves why one should assume that being even exists in the first place... yada yada).

It's worth trying just as a thought experiment if nothing else. Don't even call it God (too many preconceptions). Just try to map out what characteristics such a being would have and see what you come up with. Don't assume any of them go without saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim- Sheleg, the word is sheleg. What a beautiful example you provided given the Eskimos have in excess of 20 some odd words for snow. Their words for snow describe how it comes down from the skies, how it is or isn't compacted to the ground, and what types of snow can be used for igloo construction. This is their way of life therefore the differences are of major consequence to them. We use the word snow for all and occasionally toss in a few descriptive adjectives. Add to this perfect and imperfect tenses, constructs, idiomatic expressions, as well as a few others I am failing to recall and the waters really gut muddy out there now don't they.

Hey enparenthsis- you have a good mind.

Hey rubra- I believe in eternal darnation. I believe there to exist a special place reserved for the likes of Jeffrey Dahmer, Mao Tse-tung, Usama Bin Laden, Francisco Pizarro, Emperor Nero, Caligula, Genghis Khan, Pol Pot, Adolph Hitler, H. H. Holmes, Josef Stalin, Vlad Tepes, Ilse Koch, Josef Mengele, Saddam Hussein, Tomas de Torquemada, Adolf Eichman, Grigori Rasputin, Elizabeth Bathory, Gilles de Rais, Charles Manson, and Idi Amin, Tallat Pasha, Nicolae Ceausescu, and Atila The Hun. Did I miss anyone… yes, thousands.

Not exactly candidates for the Mormon "Baptism For The Dead" in my opinion… yet they are. I most certainly would not want them receiving General or Sacramental Absolution from a Catholic Priest by default of being in the right place at the right time... yet one may have. Spiritualist or Muslim, Buddhist or Rasta, Wiccan or Hindu; it doesn’t seem to much matter as it certainly does appear that “tickets” to eternal life in paradise exist regardless of one’s religious affiliation. Both Christians and Non-Christians alike have built in “conveniences”. Escape routes/loopholes are laced throughout all of our religions. Well, maybe not Wisconsin Synod Lutheran or Assemblies of God ;). By their doctrine, I’d be long on my way downstairs by now.

What a breath of fresh air to see this thread where people are not defending their religion, or lack of religion, by criticizing those who aren't like them.

My time is up in the threads or I'll end up home all alone and that wouldn't be much fun. Have a great Easter or just a plain old relaxing Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another reason why I don't believe in hell is because people like hitler and stalin and everyone else have ALREADY been through hell. that's exactly why they're like that.
    hitler had such a horrible life as a young kid that he once tried to run away... but his dad found him and beat the crap out of him so bad that he was in a comma for three days.
    by the way... there's a common misconception that hitler was athiest... well, he was christian.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 25 2005,8:20)]Hey enparenthsis- you have a good mind.
    I appreciate that... I figured most people here thought I was full of it by now. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

I wonder if Jesus would have forgiven Hitler. Did his teachings of things like love and forgiveness include cut-off points? (I'm genuinely asking... not making a point.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Hey rubra- I believe in eternal darnation. I believe there to exist a special place reserved for the likes of Jeffrey Dahmer, Mao Tse-tung, Usama Bin Laden, Francisco Pizarro, Emperor Nero, Caligula, Genghis Khan, Pol Pot, Adolph Hitler, H. H. Holmes, Josef Stalin, Vlad Tepes, Ilse Koch, Josef Mengele, Saddam Hussein, Tomas de Torquemada, Adolf Eichman, Grigori Rasputin, Elizabeth Bathory, Gilles de Rais, Charles Manson, and Idi Amin, Tallat Pasha, Nicolae Ceausescu, and Atila The Hun. Did I miss anyone… yes, thousands.
    The problem I see there, is that most people at some point or other could easily turn into one of them, but never achieve the international recognition. Anyone who hates at anytime, is really no better than the guy who becomes infamous because of his circumstances. Or what about the person who never does a bit of good? Then you could go into the people who only did terrible things because they grew up in terrible environments. My point is, that there really is no way to judge people fairly, because none of us is really better than another.
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 26 2005,2:20)]I believe in eternal darnation. I believe there to exist a special place reserved for the likes of Jeffrey Dahmer, Mao Tse-tung, Usama Bin Laden, Francisco Pizarro, Emperor Nero, Caligula, Genghis Khan, Pol Pot, Adolph Hitler, H. H. Holmes, Josef Stalin, Vlad Tepes, Ilse Koch, Josef Mengele, Saddam Hussein, Tomas de Torquemada, Adolf Eichman, Grigori Rasputin, Elizabeth Bathory, Gilles de Rais, Charles Manson, and Idi Amin, Tallat Pasha, Nicolae Ceausescu, and Atila The Hun. Did I miss anyone… yes, thousands.
    ok most of these people were evil, however caligula would likely have been committed to a mental institution today, i mean he tried to name his favorite horse a senator, so im not sure we should assume he should get darned, i mean i think what ever the greater power out there is would be somewhat forgiving with people that he allowed to have mental problems.

oh and somewhere back someone mentioned cannibalism and made it sound like a religion. Cannibalism is a ritual practice not a religion in itself, although it is condoned/supported by some religions. Also the fact that is disgusts/outrages/horrifies most of us is a product of our cultural belief that eating the dead, or really having any contact with the dead is undesirable. Often times cannibalism is part of a mortuary ritual and is actully an honor to the person being consumed because it is believe that a part of them lives on through those who consumed them.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut