User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
Results 193 to 200 of 329

Thread: Lets discuss beliefs

  1. #193

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SoCal (born in utah)
    Posts
    1,140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uhm...
    did any of you ppl see that cannibilism show on history channel a week ago?
    I got bored halfway through...but like ktulu said, it's not a religion, its a practice..starving people eat their dead-not practicing religion in any way
    oh yes im going to bring up something from early in this topic
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]isn't there the purgatory too? I don't get the purgatory... can anyone tell me what the purgatory is? just a waiting room?
    Purgatory is supposedly where you go to get punished, for believers, then you go to heaven. It isn't mentioned in the bible by word, but is implied in different places. (i.e. God forgives you if you ask..but if you never asked him to forgive you for one sin, what happens?)
    The reason, besides blind faith in the Bible for logical reasons to believe in some supernatural power is that it seems quite coincidental that the universe expanded at the exact rate possible for life to form
    And then human emotions, and also the consience (right and wrong) are so complex there must be a mind behind them
    If you say those were made for survival of human life by evolution, that doesn't fit because "rage" and "hate" certainly don't help humans survive.
    Everyone is evil, if everyone was a paper and you put dirt on it, some covered in mud, some with a tiny spot, they're all "dirty" and in Christianity, to get into heaven you can't be dirty.

  2. #194

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (droseradude @ Mar. 26 2005,6:42)]uhm...
    did any of you ppl see that cannibilism show on history channel a week ago?
    that wasnt the one that talked about neadertal and how they were cannibals was it cause if so that show was horrible. i dont remember what channel it was on but it was just awful the assumptions they made.

    Oh and i forgot to mention that we are all the decendents of cannibals, so we shouldnt get so bent out of shape at the thought of it.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

  3. #195
    endparenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The reason, besides blind faith in the Bible for logical reasons to believe in some supernatural power is that it seems quite coincidental that the universe expanded at the exact rate possible for life to form
    What rate is that, exactly? There was plenty of time for whole ecosystems to develop on other planets before our first multi-celled lifeform showed up. Likewise there are probably planets out there where life has just begun. And what about those hundreds of millions of years "wasted" on the dinosaurs rather than developing right into humanity's lineage?

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]And then human emotions, and also the consience (right and wrong) are so complex there must be a mind behind them If you say those were made for survival of human life by evolution, that doesn't fit because "rage" and "hate" certainly don't help humans survive.
    They're extremely useful. If someone is taking everything you have and leaving you to die... rage suddenly becomes pretty handy if you intend to survive. For intelligent social animals to work together and get along, empathy is pretty handy too.

  4. #196

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    2,154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what exacly did these people do (or maybe nicknaemes would help, Vlad is "the impalier" right?):
    Dahmer, Francisco Pizarro, Emperor Nero, Caligula, Genghis Khan, Pol Pot, H. H. Holmes, Vlad Tepes, Ilse Koch, Tomas de Torquemada, Adolf Eichman, Elizabeth Bathory, Gilles de Rais, Charles Manson, and Idi Amin, Tallat Pasha, Nicolae Ceausescu, and Atila The Hun.
    Yes Alpha is right people like Hitler already went through hell. Actually (don;t quote me on this) I think he told his teacher his father was beating him before he ran away. I am fairly sure his teacher was jewish and so his hate of them came out of his father beating him because hte teacher did nothing to help him. Being rational would have made him only hate his teacher but I thnk he was driven past that.
    Soem of those other people are hailed as heros, or "great men". So is your point we are making heros out of greatly terrible people? And so everyone who thinks of them as heros/great men should go to hell because they beleve that they were great.

  5. #197

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    2,154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canibalism reminds me of a song:
    "do you smell what I smell
    A child
    A child
    Dinner's on the way
    Yum Yum Yum, Yum Yum Yum (refrain)
    Do you hear what I hear
    A child
    A child
    Screaming in the dark
    (refrain)
    Do you see what I see
    A child
    A child
    roasting on a spit
    (refrain)
    do you taste what I taste
    A child
    A child
    disolving in my mouth
    (refrain)
    Yum Yum Yum, Yum Yum Yum.

    Well it's funny when you hear it, gets stuck in your head and unfortunatly you may start to sing it. (Not a good tune when volunteering with Small children) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

  6. #198
    God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Yes Alpha is right people like Hitler already went through hell. Actually (don;t quote me on this) I think he told his teacher his father was beating him before he ran away. I am fairly sure his teacher was jewish and so his hate of them came out of his father beating him because hte teacher did nothing to help him. Being rational would have made him only hate his teacher but I thnk he was driven past that.
    Soem of those other people are hailed as heros, or "great men". So is your point we are making heros out of greatly terrible people? And so everyone who thinks of them as heros/great men should go to hell because they beleve that they were great.
    Ok so I don't have any arguments but I did wanna quote it... I guess reverse phsycology was in effect... LOL [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

    I was the one that mentioned cannibalism. I was not meaning to make it sound like a religion(it's the religion that causes the cannibalism)... I don't even remember what I was talking about....

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]"do you smell what I smell
    A child
    A child
    Dinner's on the way
    Yum Yum Yum, Yum Yum Yum (refrain)
    Do you hear what I hear
    A child
    A child
    Screaming in the dark
    (refrain)
    Do you see what I see
    A child
    A child
    roasting on a spit
    (refrain)
    do you taste what I taste
    A child
    A child
    disolving in my mouth
    (refrain)
    Yum Yum Yum, Yum Yum Yum.
    That is kinda scary.... who would want to come with that kinda song? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    ~Wes~

    My plants are going green to save the environment

    My Growlist

  7. #199

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    besides... can you really punish people because of their genes? there are some genetic diseases which make you crazy/hateful/etc. ... I believe most serial killers are XYY?
    also suicides and other things can have SOME basis on genetics (oy... watch this statement be twisted into it being ALL genetic...) for example... chemical imbalances of the brain can lead to depression which can make you commit suicide.
    so if a god punishes people for that... I know people nicer than God.

    changing subject...souls:
    when you die...is your personality the same? so when babies die they're just as useless and ignorant about the world as they were when they died? if your soul just keep the knowledge it had when you died then... you're still pretty stupid even if you're the wisest person in the world.
    can you learn things as a spirit? if so... what the heck is the point of being alive?
    if you believe in reincarnation... what happens after you've completed your re-births? what's the point? and why do you forget each life you live when you come back? you just have to re-learn everything once again... how pointless.
    so what IS the point of having a soul AND a body?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

  8. #200
    God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]for example... chemical imbalances of the brain can lead to depression which can make you commit suicide.
    so if a god punishes people for that... I know people nicer than God.
    True genetics can cause you to be that way, but just cause you are does not mean that you can't fight it. You can have a tendancy to be overweight but if you watch carefully you can fight it. Same with the tendancy to think of suicide. By the way most of the chemical are resessive sot the X and Y chromosome needs to be lowercase. But I could be wrong... I'm definately not into genetics that much. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    ~Wes~

    My plants are going green to save the environment

    My Growlist

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •