Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss beliefs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it all seems like a sucky and clunky syestem to me, lets all revamp and streamline it
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 25 2005,1:35)]looks like we're all set then laura. your religion is definately more fair and believable than "christianity". [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I'd have to agree..

the thing I have always loved about Judaism is it's intellectual quality and curiosity..as opposed to the blind sheep-esque faith of christianity.

I still think both of them are deluded, though.

Tomorrow I'm going to Lowe's and Home Despot in search of cp's.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crap..i guess i didnt check on this for a while..
    well the universe expanded slow enough so that gases and dust could contract, forming stars, etc. It also expanded fast enough so that it didn't form a premature "big crunch" before it could really expand enough to form stars, I'll get the exact uhm..."chance" of that happening, except its midnight here so im kinda tired..
    as for feelings, if designed by nature naturally it would be to
    A. have the stronger humans survive or...
    B. have human race as a whole survive

AS an opening statement, if feelings, etc. were made for humans to thrive, it certainly is working pretty poorly, people are getting killed all over the world, millions are depressed, angry, etc.

Well I agree with you that rage is useful for getting revenge on people, or getting stuff back.
    So rage favors one human over another. Is that logical? Not really. It isn't helping the human race survive as a whole, its only causing dispute among it, weakening it.
    Now if nature designed rage to eliminate weaker humans, it would work like this.
    causing dispute causes the death of one of the humans, which obviously the stronger will win.
    Well humans who know they are weaker than another just don't attack them, unless they're extremely immature. Nobody fights to lose.
    So lets say this kid who's mad at another goes with a bunch of friends and beats up a stronger kid, or kills him.
    How does this benifit the stronger kid, or human race?
    At any rate, rage was a bad example.
    Pride is a better one. If you are proud, what does that do? it hurts you, unable to accept assistance when it would actually strengthen you.
    Also, pride makes people hate you, who may choose to attack you. You may lose, or you may win. Seems a little random.
    How does sadness help? Some kid is sad because he cant get a toy? Doesn't seem to benifit him or the human race.
    Also...I've given how nature would use these different emotions to help humans survive if it was just nature. It uses rage to cause dispute, then death of weaker (sometimes). It uses pride to destroy weaker humans (sometimes). It gives people consiences, very strange...to have an idea of "right and wrong" in your head, (i.e. if I kill someone in rage it eliminates a weaker human lets say, but I feel guilty. Why? Nature dusnt kno.) It uses love (not romantic, brotherly love or what not) for what? To make people happy? Why would nature want people to be happy, in fact why would it have happiness, or humor, or what not at all? Why make life? Logic is about reason, and life has no reason thru science. It seems like nature has a mind, like nature has some sort of purpose. Extremely complex, some without a plausible reason. Maybe there is a mind behind all these complex un-understandable things...too complex to have developed from nothing at all, except matter. Maybe that would be God.....
    And also, I'd like to point out..you hear all sorts of stuff about supernatural things happening all over the world. Theres a little truth in every legend, and there has to be a little truth in at least one of them. And if there's a little, it holds all the other ideas obsolete.
    ugh..
    Quote[/b] ]Yes, isn't that why Christians invented Jesus? To humanise your remote and angry god?
    Even scientists will agree Jesus existed.We didn't just look back in our history books and say..hey this guy seems like a good scapegoat and then write it up, especially since we believe deceit is a sin. Also, if I were an atheist I'd be quite content. No point in making up a religion, live life to the fullest!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 26 2005,10:58)]the thing I have always loved about Judaism is it's intellectual quality and curiosity..as opposed to the blind sheep-esque faith of christianity.

I still think both of them are deluded, though.
    I've had the benefit of seeing religion form a few different perspectives. I was born a NYC/ LI Jew and did the bar Mitvah thing at age 13, as well as having 5 years of learning Hebrew. In all that time, I learned about the histor, language, and culture. Some how I missed anuything assocaited with faith. by the time I was 15, I was a self-described atheist. I lierally called Christians and other deity believing people, "poor, deluded fools, with a need to believe in something, to satisfy their weakness" - a crutch. I'll skip the long story, but I became a Christian in college. Anybody who knows me - knows that I am not a sheep. I absolutely despise phrases like, "We've always done it this way" or "We've never done it this way". If there is anything I CAN'T stand is going along, without questioning. I see anything and everything up for grabs - in the search for truth.

For the vast majority of the "sheep", who don't question anything - they ARE pretty much deluded.

Loved your cats! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is totally irrelivent but why did Tony leave the forums?

Bcak to subject: Yes, Alpha of course beleveing in a god changes your genes. Isn't that obvous now. Since of cousrse genes make personallity
    (Jk of course).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Religion is just around to describe the icompreshensable or unexplained. The Ancients did not know what caoused weather so they had their gods have different moods. Now we know about weather so gods don't control it anymore. Eventually when we know what happens after death (the next grea adventure) we will be able to eliminate god(s) all together. I see a pattern (and I'm not the only one) where as the world because less comlicated with more understanding we need fewer and fewer gods.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do what you will and have fun is what i say!

i'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist!

do one to others as you'd have then do unto you (or something like that)

live life to the fullest with no regrets!!

go down in a burning flame of glory!!!!!

when people think of you after your gone, make them think "I wish i could have partied with that guy!"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 26 2005,9:54)]
    Quote[/b] ]Luis, you are getting hung up on the "trees". You are missing the "forest". The analogy provided, several pages ago, illustrates illustrates that God can "wear 3 hats" at the same time.
    I get how he can be three at once but would you call yourself father and son? that's just weird. lol.
    Quote[/b] ]Hitler was unrepentent. He will be in a place worse than Camden, NJ
    are you not allowed to say hell? I know some people don't want to say God either.
    But I AM a father to my 4 kids. I am also my father's son. I also have a brother. Here's a weird one for ya: My oldest son became a Christian a few years ago. That would make him a "brother in Christ".

The reference to Camden, NJ was my subtle attempt at dry humor. I have heard Camden referred to as such. I don't necessarily have to use a particular word and still communicate. You understood it, without me needding to spell it out.