Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss beliefs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in addition to what wesley said the Romans(who were polythestic and exicuted jesus for political reasons), who wrote everything down, also have records of jesus. I dont remember if they call him by that name but the records of his trial and exicution make it pretty clear that it was jesus.

as for what i believe, i believe that what ever religion enlightens you, makes your feel spiritually fufilled etc. is the correct religion for you. I dont believe there is one true right religion for everyone, because if there was why has it not fufilled everyones needs and swept over the earth and created one large religous block of people. Look even your major religions have sects which means even they do not satisfy everyone that believe in the same god/phropets/holy figures.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course I was risen in an "open family" one with out any religion to speak of. Except of course when you injured yourself you complained to "god" along with a string of obsenities. So I got to think of and connect everything myself [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I would need to ask my pastor for the documents that show that.
    I'd like to know that too.
    Quote[/b] ]Jesus was a really man, the Islam have him as a basis, and the Jews also have him in their records(shouldn't they he was considered to be one of the prophets(unless they are Messianic). Most all historians even Atheists know that he existed
    ok, maybe I heard wrong... I thought they said that besides the bible nothing talked about jesus. I guess it was holy books? or are the documents mentioning Jesus not holy books?
    I do know though that the "jesus box" was fake. I've asked a couple of christians if there was any evidence besides the bible that Jesus existed and this is the first time anyone has said anything about any documents :P
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTY I recently discovered that most of the "cousins" (people younger then 42) in my family, well the ones we talk to, beleve a similar thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Agree with JLP on animals and plants with "souls" (for lack of a better word)
    I believe if humans have souls, then other life has souls too.
    Quote[/b] ]as for what i believe, i believe that what ever religion enlightens you, makes your feel spiritually fufilled etc. is the correct religion for you
    I think that the concept of being spiritually fulfillment just comes in when people are "born again"... meaning that they were once "born" (for lack of a better term...) and had a religion, then they lost faith but still felt they missed something, and then were "born again".
    Quote[/b] ]in addition to what wesley said the Romans(who were polythestic and exicuted jesus for political reasons), who wrote everything down, also have records of jesus.
    any documents you could give me?
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]BTY I recently discovered that most of the "cousins" (people younger then 42) in my family, well the ones we talk to, beleve a similar thing.
    lol. I have a CRAZY (not literally... although one or two might be ROFLMAO) family. all kinds of beliefs from all over the world. I don't even know what they believe in anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is wiht being born again. If you lose faith that means obviously somehting went wrong (right?). So why sould you believe that again if it did not work the first time. Unless this is the "third times the charm" ideal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true that many people are "indoctrinated" and end up on islands. There are also people who are on islands of being "open to everything" but never having set standards of right and wrong. These islands do not depend on the issues in hand, it is just your approach to truth. You can either consider truth to be whatever can be scientifically proven, or you base your idea of truth on what you have seen and experienced, or you can start with a worldview and build walls of truth around it.

I think the most important thing for everybody to know is what they beleive, and why they beleive it. If you don't know what you beleive, you are just another creature following its instincts; if you don't know why you beleive what you beleive, you might as well just be another creature following its instincts.

I don't know about everybody else here, but the meaning of life is very important to me. If I am here only because some mud mutated, and if after I die, I just turn back into mud, there is no reason to do anything different from the animals, no reason not just to follow my instincts. Yet I am convinced that there is a purpose for everything, and that with the existence of time and space, there is automatically an existence for reason. After all, you could say that we are just a natural miracle that happens on a little ball spinning around a little star which makes up part of a little galaxy suspended in space. However, the very fact that we can reason, that we do reason, and that we need truth, leads me to beleive that there reason and truth must exist in this universe.

Now, if reason exists, then there must be a reason for the existence of the whole universe, let alone each little part that works perfectly together. Is the whole universe just the result of random chance? Then how did it all begin? If it is all random chance, then why is the blue sky attractive to us, and why do we like to look and smell flowers, even if we don't even pollinate them? And why are we not content with the world we have built ouselves? Think about it - why are the rich, who can have anything they want, still not happy?

Perhaps someone wanted to make us like him; creatures he could know personally. In this case he would have made us in a way that we don't automatically worship him. He would give us choice, and see what we do with it. It would make sense, in that case, that he'd have standards for us, to determine which ones he keeps, and which ones go into the fireplace. Maybe we were designed so that we are only happy if we know the guy who created us. Maybe that's the reason I do what I do, why I go to the trouble of being a "Christian"...

Peter
    the cellist

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast