User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 248 of 329

Thread: Lets discuss beliefs

  1. #241
    endparenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need some Muslims or Hindi or something on this board. The whole Athiest-Christian thing gets repetitive quick. I want to see what the major religions have to say to each other. Even just some more from the Judaism side would be nice.

  2. #242
    God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,559
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    The big question is, would you even aspire to perform miracles? Jesus didn't want followers in the end, he wanted peers, wouldn't you say? "This you too can do."

    The historical church of course didn't want you to stand next to Jesus, they wanted you to grovel. They couldn't get rich off of empowered people.

    So pushing the church's manipulation out of your mind completely (and much of it is still around, not because people intend to manipulate, but because they don't know the difference... what they were taught is true as far as they're concerned) and following Jesus completely... why not believe you can be capable of what he was capable of? Could Son of God and Children of God be the same thing?
    Actually He did tell us that we would be able to be able to do things greater than even the wonders/miracles He performed.

    As for having other religions... you may not want that cause then you would have multiple religions telling that there is a God. But then when we got into our own little things about religion vs. religion you would feel left out as an atheist believing in not god. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    ~Wes~

    My plants are going green to save the environment

    My Growlist

  3. #243
    Whats it to ya? Finch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and how are you shure there is a god and this is how it goes down?
    that makes no logic

  4. #244

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    2,154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seriously doubt forgiving will heal wounds. I will never forgive Sadam that son-of-a-b%$#&. It's his fault my father died. D$#@ B$#@%*

  5. #245
    endparenthesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Actually He did tell us that we would be able to be able to do things greater than even the wonders/miracles He performed.
    Do you aspire to do so?

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]As for having other religions... you may not want that cause then you would have multiple religions telling that there is a God. But then when we got into our own little things about religion vs. religion you would feel left out as an atheist believing in not god.
    I'm not an athiest. But what I believe in is so unlike what people typically see as God that I just can't call it that. I have more in common with athiests than I do with members of orthodox religions.

  6. #246

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not even going to try to read through the last pages. There are thousands of religions and for everyone one there are a hundred more versions. In order for me to belive something i think there should be one version that everyone belives in because no one can actually prove that any one religion is true over another. There being so many different versions and the fact that everyone on earth belives different versions is reason for me not to belive in it at all.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

  7. #247

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]AS an opening statement, if feelings, etc. were made for humans to thrive, it certainly is working pretty poorly, people are getting killed all over the world, millions are depressed, angry, etc.
    other animals have those kinds of feelings too. It might help as a population control. loving feelings is just so people are social... and protect each other... therefore they survive. but you can't have a loving ushy mushy people because like we are doing right now they will deplete their resouces and they'll be doomed.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Pride is a better one. If you are proud, what does that do? it hurts you, unable to accept assistance when it would actually strengthen you.
    you like your "clan" and dislike other competing clans.

    You seem to be forgetting that humans are social. You don't just have pride for yourself, you have pride (and other feelings) for your whole group (clan, state, whatever it might be).
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]How does sadness help? Some kid is sad because he cant get a toy? Doesn't seem to benifit him or the human race.
    also... you seem to be forgetting that humans weren't put here in big cities with toys and cars and spaceships. at first humans were small groups living in caves. If you love someone and loose them, of course you're going to be sad. sadness is just wanting to keep having happiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]to have an idea of "right and wrong" in your head, (i.e. if I kill someone in rage it eliminates a weaker human lets say, but I feel guilty. Why? Nature dusnt kno.)
    you're not born with that. that's a by prodcut of being social. a little kid pushes some other little kid and feels good. it's only because their parents tell the kid that it's wrong (therefore next time he pushes another litte kid he will have negative feelings because his parents admonished him for doing that)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Logic is about reason, and life has no reason thru science. It seems like nature has a mind, like nature has some sort of purpose. Extremely complex
    (I know this is out of context lol) EXACTLY! "extremely complex"! you're just giving "nature" a mind because it is too complex for your little brain to comprehend (don't be offended by the way... I mean the whole human species)
    the only reason life seems complex is because we are so simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] some without a plausible reason
    everything has a reason. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]And also, I'd like to point out..you hear all sorts of stuff about supernatural things happening all over the world. Theres a little truth in every legend, and there has to be a little truth in at least one of them
    so then why do you only believe what you want? you hear about zombees and UFOs and dwarves/elves/etc and all that other stuff... why do you only believe what you want to?
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Even scientists will agree Jesus existed.
    ... nobody has given me any of the promised documents... I'm I speaking to the wall here? is that just another empty promise/statement like in the evolution thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Religion is just around to describe the icompreshensable or unexplained. The Ancients did not know what caoused weather so they had their gods have different moods. Now we know about weather so gods don't control it anymore
    yeah... doesn't weather seem to have a mind too? I mean... when you're in a bad mood it's rainy! yet you're in a good mood and it's all sunny and bright.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]What matters is what people do with the apple they are given.
    but the apple makes you be a certain way! (remember the apple represented genes?) You can't do anything with your genes!
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] He gave us CHOICES. He doesn't want us to be mindless zombie slaves, He created us to fellowship with Him, but our choice was to be separated from him.
    be my friend or SUFFER ETERALLY IN THE FIERY DEPTHS OF HELL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]AS an opening statement, if feelings, etc. were made for humans to thrive, it certainly is working pretty poorly, people are getting killed all over the world, millions are depressed, angry, etc.
    oh c'mon... pretty poorly?! PRETTY POORLY?!!! there are 6.5 BILLION people alive today! that's 1,000 times more than sustainable! http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...24/humans.html
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]And about the universe's expansion... yes, it seems we've avoided a crunch, but what if the universe goes on expanding forever?
    that reminded me... scientists say that possibly trillions of universes are bubbling up every day in many dimensions.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

  8. #248

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Mar. 26 2005,7:32)]I was the one that mentioned cannibalism. I was not meaning to make it sound like a religion(it's the religion that causes the cannibalism)
    religion is not a cause of cannibalism, it usally merely allows or fobids it, infact i dont know of a single religion that says you must be a cannibal.. Sometimes is a form of adaptation to a low protein diet, so times its a way of humiliating your enemies, there are alot of reasons for cannabalism and to attribute it to religion in all case is incorrect. So really cannibalism is connected to culture not religion.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •