Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss beliefs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tacitus (A.D. c.55-A.D. c.117, Roman historian) mentions "christus" who is Jesus - Annals

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular."

Ref. from http://classics.mit.edu/Tacitus/annals.mb.txt

there i know its only one source but he admits jesus lived and seems to despise christians, so that is pretty good evidence if someone who loaths the religion will admit its holy leader existed.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 27 2005,6:57)]
    Quote[/b] ]And about the universe's expansion... yes, it seems we've avoided a crunch, but what if the universe goes on expanding forever?
    that reminded me... scientists say that possibly trillions of universes are bubbling up every day in many dimensions.
    I think I brought this theory up in the evo thread once:

http://wwwphy.princeton.edu/~steinh/npr/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep. every moment an infinite number of universes are created.

and my moment i mean a tiny fraction of a picosecond...even smaller!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Tacitus (A.D. c.55-A.D. c.117, Roman historian) mentions "christus" who is Jesus - Annals
    ... did you give me the wrong link? the word "christus" is nowhere in that page. Nor is "jesus". Hell... I can't even find the paragraph you're talking about.
    and is jesus christ the only one at the time with that name? does it say anything about the crucifixion or his followers/anything to tie him to the guy who said he was the son of god?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]
    also... you seem to be forgetting that humans weren't put here in big cities with toys and cars and spaceships. at first humans were small groups living in caves. If you love someone and loose them, of course you're going to be sad. sadness is just wanting to keep having happiness.
    Sadness isn't wanting happiness, sadness is a lack of happiness.
    If someone died, wouldn't it be more convenient not to miss them, and instead want to live life on instead of sitting around and acting stupid?
    And if everything has a reason/answer, how are scientists ever going to figure out why life exists. Since humans are so intelligent (able to arue about this in the first place) shouldn't whatever made them be MORE intelligent?
    On the subject of right/wrong, it is natural to be selfish. Go for what YOU want, etc. And the only reason people aren't completely selfish is because of a sense in their head, (right and wrong) or in your belief, because of what their parents taught them.
    But nobody likes a very selfish person, so why would nature make something that causes dissent among EVERYBODY?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Sadness isn't wanting happiness, sadness is a lack of happiness.
    I'm not happy right now. I'm I sad? no.
    Quote[/b] ]If someone died, wouldn't it be more convenient not to miss them, and instead want to live life on instead of sitting around and acting stupid?
    many things are byproducts of something else. sadness is a byproduct of happiness (at least that's what I think). Everyone wants joy. When that joy is taken away from you, you get sad.
    Quote[/b] ]And if everything has a reason/answer, how are scientists ever going to figure out why life exists. Since humans are so intelligent (able to arue about this in the first place) shouldn't whatever made them be MORE intelligent?
    it's impossible to find purpuse without making it up (in this situation) that's why science doesn't answer things like that. Science can answer certain how's and why's but some things are impossible.

Why does god exist?
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Since humans are so intelligent (able to arue about this in the first place) shouldn't whatever made them be MORE intelligent?
    no. opals are beautiful... does that mean that pressure and everythign else is more beautiful?
    Quote[/b] ]But nobody likes a very selfish person, so why would nature make something that causes dissent among EVERYBODY?
    ... selfish people can suceed. Nature IS NOT GOD!!! nature HAS NO BRAIN!!! nature DOES NOT THINK! even my mom wants to give "nature" a brain. that's annoying!
    if you can survive, your traits will survive. selfish people can survive. Sometimes more so than non-selfish people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 28 2005,2:33)]
    Quote[/b] ]Tacitus (A.D. c.55-A.D. c.117, Roman historian) mentions "christus" who is Jesus - Annals
    ... did you give me the wrong link? the word "christus" is nowhere in that page. Nor is "jesus". Hell... I can't even find the paragraph you're talking about.
    and is jesus christ the only one at the time with that name? does it say anything about the crucifixion or his followers/anything to tie him to the guy who said he was the son of god?
    i didnt actully find it on that page i had it down from somewhere else and was just linking to what i thought was a complete set of the annals, i guess i was wrong. Although it doesnt say anything about his crucifixion, christus was the name for christ in latin, but anyways all you wanted was proof that he was real, well there it is, there is more but i cant find any thing else right now and i dont have time to search for it. plus im not a christian so i could careless if you do believe he ever existed, though if you dont i believe it is you who is ignoring facts that are inconvient to oneself.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut