User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss beliefs

what are your thoughts on the caste system? I heard it was invented so the higher people could keep power?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]So because christianity was not right for you, you have sworn off all religion? isnt that a pretty close minded approach to life?
    it's not that. It's what religion IS. Religion is believing what you WANT to believe without any proof. I don't believe in having faith (not like that anyway). I don't believe in choosing what you want to believe just because you like how it sounds. So far I have seen no evidence or anything for any religion so I don't believe it. give me evidence and I'll believe it. Not because I want to believe it, but because the evidence makes me believe it. Why do you keep bringing up me being close minded? We've gone over this before. If you think I'm close minded then fine... but don't keep briging up the same thing.

Quote[/b] ]I am a philosophical naturalist. Not only do I believe in the methodological naturalism of science (nature is the only objective standard we have for science), but I also believe natural, rather than supernatural, explanations cover everything in the universe.

Merely not having yet discovered the natural cause of a phenomenon, IMHO, is not rational justification for assuming that a supernatural cause exists. To arrive at a supernatural explanation, we would first have to consider and reject all possible natural causes, which would require complete and perfect knowledge of the universe.
    hmm... yes... exactly! I guess i'm a philosophical naturalist.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (SunDoode182 @ Mar. 23 2005,12:20)]what are your thoughts on the caste system? I heard it was invented so the higher people could keep power?
    the caste system is the basis of hindu belief in reincarnation and moving up. Although it is also very effective at controling the populus. and like most religions when used in a theocracy they work as a way to maintain the power of the government.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Religion is believing what you WANT to believe without any proof. I don't believe in having faith (not like that anyway).
    You don't beleive in having faith... Well faith is based on relationships, and in relationships there is nothing to prove. The reason there aren't a whole lot more Christians around is that most people these days aren't willing to believe anything they can't see or touch. I tell can you it's worth it, but since I'm not a scientist you won't beleive me.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Mar. 22 2005,5:48)]I am a philosophical naturalist. Not only do I believe in the methodological naturalism of science (nature is the only objective standard we have for science), but I also believe natural, rather than supernatural, explanations cover everything in the universe.

Merely not having yet discovered the natural cause of a phenomenon, IMHO, is not rational justification for assuming that a supernatural cause exists. To arrive at a supernatural explanation, we would first have to consider and reject all possible natural causes, which would require complete and perfect knowledge of the universe.
    but in the same manner of logic not being able to explain something means that supernatural causes could be just as likely as natural. Without evidence that shows how or why something happens both explainations are equally valid. Saying that everything can be explained by natural laws would also require complete and perfect knowledge of the universe, which is something that humans are very far from achieving (if its even possible).
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Well faith is based on relationships, and in relationships there is nothing to prove
    that's what the "(not like that anyway)." part was for. one thing is believing in your friends and stuff and another is believing a book written thousands of years ago about a guy who rose from the dead. It's totally different. besides... you have reasons to believe someone. have they lied to you? why/how/etc... it's not just some thing a book written by people talks about.
    Quote[/b] ]I tell can you it's worth it, but since I'm not a scientist you won't beleive me.
    I was christian once... and I can tell you it's not worth it to me. I'm not the kind that believes things like that on faith only (with zero evidence).
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I was christian once... and I can tell you it's not worth it to me. I'm not the kind that believes things like that on faith only (with zero evidence).
    So you had a personal relationship with God?
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did pray and ask for things and thanked "him" and everything... is that what you mean?

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast