What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets discuss beliefs

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
Well This thread is to discuss beliefs. I will have to accnoledge Alpha for suggesting this. The purpose of this thread is discussion not slamming other people beliefs, forcing yours, etc. If such action happens this will of course be locked because it will have been deemed offensive.

I will start off with my knowing ghosts exist. "Belief" of course could be the word you use but I will have to say knowing.

ooh this is gonna be fun
laugh.gif

i think "ghosts" exist, but i think they are individuals who's etheric energy hasn't yet been depleted. i believe that everyone gathers enough etheric energy from the atmosphere when they die to exist for about a week to "tie up loose ends", but i dont know why these individuals supply of etheric energy takes so long to be depleted, or is infinite.

For me, there are two issues here: one is what I personally believe. And second, there is what I think it's reasonable for everyone else to believe, too.

For example, I think it's reasonable to expect everyone to believe in gravity. But not for everyone to believe Cambezola is the best cheese.

It's reasonable to believe in ghosts (theoretically), but not reasonable to think others must believe in them.

Capslock

it's unreasonable to think everyone will believe in something.

for example, you'd think everyone would believe in gravity but there has to be a few "confused" individuals who think it's some conspiracy or something. like the lunar landing.

Oy vey! Here we go again!

I believe that there may possibly be "spirits" out there but not like the evil ones on TV

Yeah I did not mean possessing type things. What does everyone thing happens after you die? I am curious to know.

I believe there is one of 2 outcomes
1 You go to heaven and live with God, and Jesus foorever
2 you go to hell and suffer eternally
Those are jsut my beliefs I dont mean to argue

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 21 2005,2:10)]Yeah I did not mean possessing type things.  What does everyone thing happens after you die?  I am curious to know.
There's only one way to find out...

*BOOM*

Just kidding

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Mar. 21 2005,5:16)]I believe there is one of 2 outcomes
I'll second that. I believe in spirits, angels, demons etc... but not ghosts like those you see on tv or in those shows about haunted houses(ie the Travel Channel at Halloween).
On another note I don't spell forever with two o's. LOL
I know lots of people who have seen both.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I believe there is one of 2 outcomes
isn't there the purgatory too? I don't get the purgatory... can anyone tell me what the purgatory is? just a waiting room? and isn't there the lake of fire too? although nobody is in there right now...
I think it may be possible for ghosts to exist, but I believe in them (meaning if you show me clear cut evidence I will believe it... but things like those tapes where you hear the ghosts speaking to you or compasses messing up don't convince me because those things don't only happen whith ghosts, or they're just tricks of the mind)
and of course me not having any religion and all I don't believe in jesus (being a diety/son of diety... I think he probably did exist but one: there's no evidence he existed and two: if he did exist I think all the stories are just made up), heaven, hell, adam and eve, noah's ark, angels, demons, etc.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What does everyone thing happens after you die? I am curious to know.
lol.. ok so that was the ghost-in-earth kind of ghost... as for what I believe happens after you die, I have no clue. Do I believe in souls? not really... why not? why should I?

There is no purgatory. Nothing in the Bible about it. Lake of fire? Yup, talked about in Revelation - satan's future forwarding address.

oh yeah. if you have been indoctrinated with a religion or a cultish belief, you sort of go to an "island" and that's your heaven. an "island" is sort of like an area in the "afterlife" where everyone thinks like you.

for example, theres a methodist island, a babtist island, an episcopalian (sp?) island, a satanist island, and island for each cult, an island for everything. i say island because it's easy lol.

people who commit suicide or die of something horrible like a drug overdose can also become "stuck" in an area. all of these people can be stuck untill they open their mind or someone else comes to get them.

i didn't make all of this up out of the air. i'm really into new age stuff.

to sum it up, i believe that your in control of your "afterlife" and that what you will think will happen probably will.

I also believe that plants, animals, even the most humble protizoa has a soul or essence, however i don't think that the same set of "rules" applies to them. i'm still working on that part

JLP,
hmm, I don't believe I've ever heard that, pretty interesting though. I guess you do learn somethin new everyday LOL

Jimscott/AW,
I think(don't quote me on this) that Catholics believe in pergatory(sp). Like you wait in sort of a waiting room and when Christ returns to the earth that they join him in going back to heaven. I think that's right.

AW,
Jesus was a really man, the Islam have him as a basis, and the Jews also have him in their records(shouldn't they he was considered to be one of the prophets(unless they are Messianic). Most all historians even Atheists know that he existed. And no, the stories were not made up, Jews, Muslims, and Athiests have documented his actions. They don't all agree on what He said (that he's the son of God), but he is definately documented for the miracles. I would need to ask my pastor for the documents that show that.

Agree with JLP on animals and plants with "souls" (for lack of a better word). As for afterlife I believe in a culmination of religion things. I mean after something dies it is born as something else (but not with Castes like the Hindus believe). That would explain rememberances from a past life. Of course the "souls" would contain the essence of the creature, hence brilliant people interested in lots of things (commonly known as rennasance men) could have ties between those people. Or whatever. Alexander to William, etc. Even though they are not related. Another option is staying or temporarily staying as ghosts but only if they want to know something or similar (My Great-Grandmother, who literally freaked me out). Theoretically there would be a "god" or sorts who chose what your "soul" became. And of course there would be limited souls that would be created and destroyed in proportional numbers except during the "beginnig" when they were just created not really destroyed. I would say extinction would be the transfering of those animals souls into thriving species. Of course this will probibly require furthur explaination and will not make sense to lots of people but it does to me
smile.gif

in addition to what wesley said the Romans(who were polythestic and exicuted jesus for political reasons), who wrote everything down, also have records of jesus. I dont remember if they call him by that name but the records of his trial and exicution make it pretty clear that it was jesus.

as for what i believe, i believe that what ever religion enlightens you, makes your feel spiritually fufilled etc. is the correct religion for you. I dont believe there is one true right religion for everyone, because if there was why has it not fufilled everyones needs and swept over the earth and created one large religous block of people. Look even your major religions have sects which means even they do not satisfy everyone that believe in the same god/phropets/holy figures.

Of course I was risen in an "open family" one with out any religion to speak of. Except of course when you injured yourself you complained to "god" along with a string of obsenities. So I got to think of and connect everything myself
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would need to ask my pastor for the documents that show that.
I'd like to know that too.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jesus was a really man, the Islam have him as a basis, and the Jews also have him in their records(shouldn't they he was considered to be one of the prophets(unless they are Messianic). Most all historians even Atheists know that he existed
ok, maybe I heard wrong... I thought they said that besides the bible nothing talked about jesus. I guess it was holy books? or are the documents mentioning Jesus not holy books?
I do know though that the "jesus box" was fake. I've asked a couple of christians if there was any evidence besides the bible that Jesus existed and this is the first time anyone has said anything about any documents :p

BTY I recently discovered that most of the "cousins" (people younger then 42) in my family, well the ones we talk to, beleve a similar thing.

Back