Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.wired.com/news....phead_6

Figured it might be of some interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NPR had a story on it this evening..if true..this is earth-shaking for the study of genetics.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just learned about that in my science class. We had to do all this punnet square stuff. Maybe I should go and sue the school for censored literature. Just kidding...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, this new discovery doesnt really indicate that Mendel's law is flawed..
    just that this new research adds something to Mendel that hasnt been known before..
    i dont see how this is a flaw in Mendelian Genetics, its simply a new addition to it..
    very cool though!
    Scot

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Mar. 23 2005,10:24)]well, this new discovery doesnt really indicate that Mendel's law is flawed..
    just that this new research adds something to Mendel that hasnt been known before..
    i dont see how this is a flaw in Mendelian Genetics, its simply a new addition to it..
    very cool though!
    Scot
    A thought occurred to me on this one: Perhaps when Mendel did his research, the environment in which he did them was too controlled. Perhaps, there wasn't enough stressors for his peas to correct anything. in contrast, the cress were under conditions that had more environmental stressors, thus being in a position and need to correct things. It's a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just shows things are always more complicated than we think. Not to revive a notorious topic, but this shows the value of the scientific method. Somebody finds something that causes upheaval. Everyone debates and tests it. If valid, it's accepted. The person who discovered it need not worry about having his eyes gouged out or his body crushed or whatever might happen in a faith based society.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mendels environment was controlled, and he did know that some of the genetics he was examining were more complicated than others - he worked with the most simple first in order to understand what was going on - the more complex stuff that did not conform he set aside (for later presumably).
    All this new stuff means is that his rules still apply - but are more difficult to find in a more complex situation. He also did not manage to understand genes swopping bits with each other during replication, but we do now...
    However - I think this may be useful in some of the genetics we all see - like yellow flowered variants in sarracenias.
    BR
    Chris

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, you are trying to revive that topic.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] I could say something about it but I'm gonna let it fly cause I don't wanna start that topic. Anyway, It took me a sec to figure what you were talking about then I remembered. It's interesting, there are definately gonna be some changes in a lot of science courses! LOL
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast