What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T rex soft tissue found!

• Thread starter ALLOSAURZ
  • Start date
I'm a huge dinosaur buff. The whole reason I am going to college was to become a paleontologist however that dreamed died. I am still majorly interested in dinosaurs though as always but check out this discovery! It has to be the biggest discovery in the dinosaur world ever!CLONE ME!!!

Amazing. Will they preserve it and try to make one? I hope so. I wish I could work on that project.

only one lil line saying it was found in Montana? WHAT A JIP!

sweet... but how do you suppose you clone it? you need a surregate mot...ehhh.... egg (that's IF they are egg-layers.
I doubt a croc egg would be good for a t-rex lol.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 24 2005,6:34)]sweet... but how do you suppose you clone it? you need a surregate mot...ehhh.... egg (that's IF they are egg-layers.
Actually they would probably grow it in vitro sort of like tissue culturing. However that's a big if as the DNA would be so degraded and full of holes that it is highly unlikely cloning of fresh tissue samples today is still a highly uncertain process let alone DNA that is 70 million years old.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually they would probably grow it in vitro sort of like tissue culturing
I don't think they can even do that can they? maybe with reptiles... since they would only need the yolk sac ...
but If they can't keep premature babies (like the REALLY premature ones) alive, then i'm assuming they can't keep giant reptiles alive either :p

it's a really cool find...but I don't think we'll see any living T-Rex's in our life-time. There are people hard at work trying to clone them though. Same with Wooly Mammoths. April

You know what happened when they tried cloning dinosaurs , some guy created a theme park called jurassic park on and the dinosaurs started taking over the whole place and eating people
smile_n_32.gif

it seems almost too fantastic to be true

JURASSIC PARK, MAN!!!!!!

They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should!

i say do it. clone baby clone!

if it's possible that is...

Hmm allthough I support the potential cloning of a dinosaur this does beg the ethical question of should we? Cloning this isn't like trying to bring back the wooly mammoth or the thylacine. These creatures are the size of a bus with 6 inch teeth that could swallow a man whole in one bite. What if this were to get loose? Also does anyone realise how much space a fullgrown T-Rex would need? These were creatures that hunted on the open plains of the northwest. Speaking of which would it be ethical to bring back a creature that is in a completely alien environment that we have no idea how to care for it? The difference in oxygen/carbon dioxide/barometric pressure levels etc from the environment these creatures were found in millions of years ago could be so drastic it could kill the animal when it reached a certain size. Also what would we feed it? Would the meat of today's animals have all the nutrition a growing T-Rex were to need? I personally think that before people even begin to start thinking about cloning they would have to have all this stuff prefigured out.

I seriously doubt they will be able to clone T-rex. First-they need to bring back the passenger pigeon etc. etc.

As far as the ethical question goes-as far as science is concerned even if the cloned T-rex does not survive it will give alot of info on a T-rex embryo. However-I don't think this will ever happen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Mar. 24 2005,6:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 24 2005,6:34)]sweet... but how do you suppose you clone it? you need a surregate mot...ehhh.... egg (that's IF they are egg-layers.
Actually they would probably grow it in vitro sort of like tissue culturing. However that's a big if as the DNA would be so degraded and full of holes that it is highly unlikely cloning of fresh tissue samples today is still a highly uncertain process let alone DNA that is 70 million years old.
TISSUE CULTURE?
confused.gif
What, put a few cells in a petri dish filled with nutrients and a baby T-rex grows out? I don't think so. Dude, if you're thinking about tissue culture then you got too many plants in your head...
smile_m_32.gif

And I doubt after all these years of evoltuion that there would be any animal genetically close enough to clone aT-rex, let alone the uncertainty of cloning itself...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 25 2005,1:38)]
[b said:
[b said:
TISSUE CULTURE?
confused.gif
What, put a few cells in a petri dish filled with nutrients and a baby T-rex grows out? I don't think so. Dude, if you're thinking about tissue culture then you got too many plants in your head...
smile_m_32.gif

And I doubt after all these years of evoltuion that there would be any animal genetically close enough to clone aT-rex, let alone the uncertainty of cloning itself...
You missed my point. I was trying to say similar to tissue culture it is done all the time with people who can't have kids naturally hence the term test tube baby. That is what I was trying to say. I know it's impossible to tissue culture any animal from cells but it is possible to get embryos started in vitro.

while I doubt that it can be cloned, it would be a sight...

and as far as what we would do if it got lose? I suppose an M1 could not only survive a munching, but would be far more than powerful enough to put it down should the need arise, that being said, you could probably take one down with any big game weapon. I just like the thought of an M1's armor wrapped around me if I was in the presence of it.

lol, wouldn't it be funny if it had the personality of a puppy though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Mar. 25 2005,1:50)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
TISSUE CULTURE?
confused.gif
smile_m_32.gif

You missed my point. I was trying to say similar to tissue culture it is done all the time with people who can't have kids naturally hence the term <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=test tube" onmouseover="window.status='test tube'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">test tube</a> baby. That is what I was trying to say. I know it's impossible to tissue culture any animal from cells but it is possible to get embryos started in vitro.
Ah right, in vitro. But then that comes back to the question of where you would put in after that...
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 25 2005,3:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Mar. 25 2005,1:50)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
TISSUE CULTURE?
confused.gif
smile_m_32.gif

You missed my point. I was trying to say similar to tissue culture it is done all the time with people who can't have kids naturally hence the term <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=test tube" onmouseover="window.status='test tube'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">test tube</a> baby. That is what I was trying to say. I know it's impossible to tissue culture any animal from cells but it is possible to get embryos started in vitro.
Ah right, in vitro. But then that comes back to the question of where you would put in after that...
smile_m_32.gif
Which also brings up the point of why I am not a scientist.I don't have the slightest clue of where you'd stick a developing tyrannosaur embryo.
smile_m_32.gif

Back