Likes Likes:  0
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanya(flytrapgurl) has a message for you all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 01 2005,6:40)]I do have a problem with their opinionated, strictly Creationist way of teaching, which forces their opinions and beliefs on the students, teaching us that and nothing else. I honestly don't think religion should have anything to do with education, because nobody knows whether Creation or evolution happened, or anything in between, so I don't think either should be taught, since both are theories which can never be proven or known.
    Hey FTG!

Good to see you again.

In the section I quoted, you hit a hot-button topic for me.

You don't agree with religion in education, but I suspect what you know about evolution probably came filtered through an anti-science perspective.

A theory, in the scientific sense, is a coherent set of principles consistent with observations and/or experiment which make predictions. There is an amazing amount of observational evidence that evolution occured and is occuring today. Creationism is religion, not theory; if for no other reason than that it makes no predictions.

PM me if you're interested, and I'll send you a list of links and books.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote[/b] ]Quote (FlytrapGurl @ April 01 2005,6:40)
    I do have a problem with their opinionated, strictly Creationist way of teaching, which forces their opinions and beliefs on the students, teaching us that and nothing else. I honestly don't think religion should have anything to do with education, because nobody knows whether Creation or evolution happened, or anything in between, so I don't think either should be taught, since both are theories which can never be proven or known.
    I've been going to an extremely conservative religious school (kinda like a Jesuit school) since I was like five... and I can tell you out of personal experience, that it's really not that bad. So far they haven't really gotten into the subject of evolution, nor let their ideas about it get in the way of their education... they usually just keep away from it to avoid any trouble. As for teaching creationist theories.. well yeah, they probably teach you what the bible says about it or something but they're not gonna ask you to apply it in biology classes or anything, so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe it's just my school, but maybe it's not...

Well, I guess that's all...
    Bye!

Aliciae [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    \"You will hear thunder and remember me,
    And think: she wanted storms.\"
    Anna Akhmatova - You Will Hear Thunder

\"You can't conquer me. Julius Caesar of the Roman Empire couldn't conquer the blue sky\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]A theory, in the scientific sense, is a coherent set of principles consistent with observations and/or experiment which make predictions.
    that's a conclusion. a theory is a conclusion that has been observed and/or experimented with by many other scientists in my places over a long period of time and has not been found to be wrong (sure, it can change a little but the actual thing is still valid)
    it's sad people call anything a theory when they shouldn't.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 03 2005,9:09)]
    Quote[/b] ]A theory, in the scientific sense, is a coherent set of principles consistent with observations and/or experiment which make predictions.
    that's a conclusion. a theory is a conclusion that has been observed and/or experimented with by many other scientists in my places over a long period of time and has not been found to be wrong (sure, it can change a little but the actual thing is still valid)
    it's sad people call anything a theory when they shouldn't.
    The problem is that in common english usage, "theory" also means "guess". Many creationists really do know this, but deliberately abuse it to try to make their point.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Final Words on this:

As I have already stated: We are not doing the Creation Evolution thread here again. PM it. I realize this is not a 'scientific' debate, but challenges the merits of each viewpoint, close enough. NO More.

(NOTE: THis is the second time I have said to drop it in this topic.)
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 02 2005,6:18)]lol. it's not that. I understand most other girls.
    Man, you understand girls? I've been dating for 16 years, and was married (still am legaly) for ten, and I'm still cluless.

You shoud write a book [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What so hard to understand about girls? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Females= logic (in most cases)
    Male = obtuse (think we know it all.)
    FTG, I think you are a breath of fresh air personally. The woman I married, thinks just like ya, and I like it!! Independant, self sufficient (she jes' keeps me 'cause she thinks I'm cute) *good thing she's blind!*, and does her own taxes! And, as another lady recently found out, don't mess with the tigress! LOL!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC