Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanya(flytrapgurl) has a message for you all

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.........I wonder if I sounded this dumb when I was a teen? I agree with Bruce, throwing away education to "prove a point" is pretty dumb to say the least. There are plenty of ways to rebel but I can almost guarentee that your ideas listed above will get you no where. If they do then perhaps then it is the parents (or grandparents) that are totally wrong.

I tell ya what, that sure as hell wouldn't work with me. I'll admit, if her grades are honestly As and Bs ONLY then that would be within my standards but it is a parents responsibility to do things like this. If they didn't then they wouldn't be very good parents.

Joe

\"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, we didn't say throw away education, and I just said make worse grades, not bad grades. a C in one report card really doesn't harm you in the long run and if you can make your life better in the long run then I don't see why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If they didn't then they wouldn't be very good parents.
    it's obvious that if she's making A's and B's she's really trying. Good parents don't push their kids past their limitations.
    besides, it's not like she's going to bad sites or anything. People need recreation too. Life isn't all about grades.
    Quote[/b] ]To stare at a wall or watch TV or quit studying is so lame. It'll just turn you into the same mindless idiot they already are. Congratulations.
    this is just for a short time. Like I said, I just had to do it a couple of days. look at the big picture. I also said I did other things besides watching TV...
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AlphaWolf,

If you were my kid and you pulled a stunt like that I would have turned your hind end a bright cherry red, no matter how old you were. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Parents may make stupid decisions sometimes, but they do have your best interests at heart, and they have far more life experience than you do, listen to them, ya might learn something useful. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] (not dogging on ya man, just conversing.)

As for FTG, sounds like her granparents are like some of the parents i knew growing up. Perfectionists. I think she should study harder, talk to her teachers and see if she can get extra credit to bring up her grades, as spectacular as they are, extra effort is usually rewarded.

Oh, and I speak from experience, I was a horrible student, and I have to disagree with 'parents shouldn't push their kids past their limits'. That just assists the child in boxing themselves in, limits are made to be destroyed, the only way to do that, is to push push push. The trick, is not pushing to hard, or to little. I was identified as having ADD when I was in middleschool, as such, I was (without my parents knowledge) shuffled off to classes with other kids that had ADD (even though my grades were good.) that crawled along at a snails pace. I stopped doing my homework because I knew it allready, I was bored out of my skull. No one was pushing me. When the problem came to a head in my 10th grade year, everything finally became clear, my parents found out that I had been tagged into a 'slow class' and were furious. Little did the school system know I read about 10 books a week, played multiple instrucments (soprano, alto, tenor and barry sax, piano, baritone and tuba (never had the chops for the trumpet. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] )) They yanked me out of public school and threw me into a private school. Over the next two years that school educated the crap out of me, I went through Algebra, and geometry in less than a symester (had no intrest in going further with math) Physics 1, 2, when I graduated my ACT scores placed me in the top 3% of the nation as compared to the bottom 25% on my PreACT my sophmore year. I got a full ride to college, (which I subsequently blew having to much fun! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] all because I got pushed. Pushing is a GOOD GOOD THING.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alpha,
    You fail to quote me as also saying that if her grades really are As and Bs then I don't see the need for punishment. Whatever though. I wouldn't take the internet away for those grades but I would still push for all A's and if she tries her best and doesn't get it then whatmore can you ask. However what if she played along and got all A's then it's worth it.
    Gotta remember I am a father. I see it from a "Your Future" standpoint as do most parents even when you the kid see differently.

I think Ram said it best already anyway.
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Mar. 25 2005,6:53)]If you need to rebel against the authority figures in your life (a worthwhile goal), go work for a political campaign they oppose or learn something they don't know or listen to free jazz or date someone of a background they don't approve of. Or anything else that blazes a new path for the family. To stare at a wall or watch TV or quit studying is so lame. It'll just turn you into the same mindless idiot they already are. Congratulations.
    or you could just edit the grading system so that 10-100= A grade
    0-9, you deserve an F
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 25 2005,5:27)]it's obvious that if she's making A's and B's she's really trying. Good parents don't push their kids past their limitations.
    besides, it's not like she's going to bad sites or anything. People need recreation too. Life isn't all about grades.
    not nessicerily, i graduated with a 3.5 and didnt put forth much of any effort. i took calculus, human physiology, college prep english, psycology and other classes along these lines, in all these i had an A or a high B. i didnt study for tests(something that really torqued off some of my "smarter" class mates). i could take a calc test in half the time of anyone of the other 6 ppl in my class and still be twords the top as far as grades in class. one midterm i finished in 45 minutes, every one else took a solid hour and a half or more. only one person out scored me.

i did this without trying and boy did i piss off my dad. i partied through high school. drinking on the weekends, went fishing or hunting after school when i wasnt working. basically enjoyed myself. as far as I was concerned it wasnt worth the extra effort to get a 4.0 GPA. as i look back i dont believe my dad was in the wrong for trying to push me but now im 23 years old, looking at total joint replacement with my left knee before im 30 for no other reason than bad genes and im glad i enjoyed myself when i did irreguardless of the fact my dad was right. your parents do have your best interest at heart and time will probably show that they are right even if right now it seems unfair. rarly will it show that you were the one in the right, well at least totally in the right [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

so without knowing her i cant say that its unfair her grandparents are pushing her. they could very well be way in the right. your right in that life isnt all about grades, but good grades can sure smooth things out later in life.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

RamPuppy:How come yourschool didn't call your parents and tell them that they were putting you in a "special" class?I don't think they have the right to just put you in one without your gardians concent.Also,if you don't mind me asking,do you still have ADD?*Niki*(Trapper7)
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Withou getting to much into my life:

I dropped out after completion of 8th grade. My mom didn't care and l did as I pleased. It amounts to pile of [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] now. I am almost 25 and work whatever I can find, rent half of a house with my wife and 2 kids. Friends around me who tried to be the best even if they weren't are now owning homes, their own businesses, and cars. I had fun but it doesn't mean [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] now that I am part of the world. Education and hard work are the ONLY way, it'll always be that way.

Joe

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast