Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanya(flytrapgurl) has a message for you all

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I mean, sure, my parents know more than I do.... but that doesn't mean they know everything.
    Exactly my point. And it's not just me claiming my grandparents think they know everything and think I know nothing, they have actually SAID it, so it's not just me. I'm repeatedly told I know absolutely nothing about life just because I'm younger than them, and they really do act like they think they know everything about everything and don't even try to listen to me or hear me out. It's all about them. And they look down their noses at everyone who does anything different than them, including me. They do not have the ability to consider that the whole world doesn't revolve around their opinions and that just because somebody else thinks different and does different doesn't make that person wrong and in need of change. They also don't have the ability to accept another person for who they are instead of looking down on them and shooting down everything that person believes, thinks, says and does.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something's very wrong when narrow-minded people think it's other people who have to be learning something. Unfortunately, it's pretty common.

I remember one day when I was ~20 and my father heard some pretty dissonant music I was listening too and said he didn't like it. But he added he was glad I did because music meant a lot to him and he was glad it meant a lot to me. He said it didn't matter that we didn't like the same thing. I learned a lot about tolerance that way.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Maehem @ April 08 2005,4:06)]The obvious exceptions of previously mentioned bad parents (not everyone is or is capable of being a good parent) aside;

Just thought I would put that back up since it seems that a few may have missed it........
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parents SHOULD always tell their kids why they tell them to do something. They should be honest too. There is nothing I hate more than lies (white lies are lies too...). They should always tell us why because otherwise we don't learn from our mistakes. We just do things to avoid punishment and the moment that you take away that punishment (since they don't know WHY they're not supposed to do what they're doing or why they're punishing them) they just turn around and do whatever it is they were doing. If my mom tells me why, I won't do it (if it's a good reason... getting dicipline just for the sake of dicipline is retarded). If she doesn't tell me why, I'll keep doing it whenever I can because I don't understand why i'm not supposed to do it.

Parents just demanding blind trust and mute kids who can't think for themselves just create ignorant kids.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that say teens who used to be very diciplined and stuff turn out bad? for example I took construction tech. one year. The guys who smoked and were all the "bad crowd" said (I don't know how but the subject of how they were diciplined came up :P) that when they were little their parents were like those that demanded blind followers.
    now... most of the time I am well behaved and stuff, but if I'm going to be punished I deserve to know why.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Parents SHOULD always tell their kids why they tell them to do something. They should be honest too. There is nothing I hate more than lies (white lies are lies too...). They should always tell us why because otherwise we don't learn from our mistakes.
    Noooo bad idea.

"daddy, where do babies come from?"
    "why cant i come in your room when its locked but you and mom are in it?''
    What did saddam hussane do that was so bad?'

{dioloh between perent who has caught a kid red hended doing drugs}
    Kid:"why not smoke pot? whats wrong with it?!"
    parent"its bad for your health and social life"
    "no its not, let me see your evedince?!"
    "because i said so"
    "NO ITS NOT U DONT HAVE ENY EVEDENCE UR LYING> OMG I HATE U!!!"---
    They dont beleive the parent but was punished- r u suggesting they had no right to do so ?

right lot of sence that approch makes in certain cases
    that makes no logic

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have to disagree with Alpha.
    I will reinterate my statement from page whatever. A child is no-one to demand ANYTHING from me. Not explanations, reasons, nothing. Obviously telling you what you did wrong is needed for a child to learn, but if I say don't do blah, blah, blah......then I expect you to listen because I said so. It does not breed mindless children, it breeds children who understand that you do not expect anything of superiors. As I said before NOBODY is goin to explain them selves because you "feel" it is your right to know. Not your boss, not a stranger, not a cop, NO-ONE! One day when you are the superior then you may make decisions that are not up to others to argue or demand explanations of. It is the way it is. Whether or not the new generation all feel this way makes no difference, the superiors will always make decisions and demand that you obey and do it in a timely and efficient manner. It is all a life lesson from day one about what your place in the world is.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a time and a place for an explanation. Sometimes a child will just not be able to relate to something until they ARE older. And we are all different. What works for one kid, won't work for another. Sometimes there are just no-win situations. I have seen some children make their parents look like geniuses, just because they are naturally compliant. I have also seen kids, within that same family, look like incompetents. They always say to oick and choose the battles wisely, but hey, if you knew which ones beforehand were going to be disasters....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, I kinda agree with you, kinda don't. It is true that children have to respect their parents opinions and orders and stuff, and it's also VERY true that they should be taught not to expect any kind of explanations from their superiors, cuz if not, well... I can easily see them getting fired out of jobs, kicked out of schools, etc.
    But it is also true that there comes a point in a life when a direct order just doesn't do it. If my father says "You can't go to X" I want to know why not. It's part of learning. Seeing what they see and listening to their reasons helps you understand why they're telling you these things. It's not about expecting things from them, it's about growing up. You need to know the why of these things so you can later know what to do when it's your kid, or when you don't have your parents around anymore.

Alicia
    \"You will hear thunder and remember me,
    And think: she wanted storms.\"
    Anna Akhmatova - You Will Hear Thunder

\"You can't conquer me. Julius Caesar of the Roman Empire couldn't conquer the blue sky\"