Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanya(flytrapgurl) has a message for you all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If that's the best you can do, IT'S THE BEST YOU CAN DO. No amount of taking away priviledges is going to make your children be able to do better than their best
    Those of that have been there, say differently, my parents pushed, I got better. Same with practically every person I know.

Quote[/b] ]How about the idea of parents giving their children a bit of respect (without having to EARN it)at birth?
    What, respect is earned on credit now? I give every person I know a certain level of respect, but there is another level of respect that belongs to those that are above you in the hierarchy of society. It seems each generation coming up thinks they are supposed to be endowed with certain privelages. It's a 'me me me' attitude if you ask me. What's wrong with earning respect? nothing, and it's a good life lesson to, because your not going to just get respect on credit when you get out into the world.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't agree with her grandparents I do agree with Tanya, because I myself am very stubborn. I'm at the age right now where I'm smart enough to know what's right for myself, so I guess she's at that age too, it's different for some people. A's and B's are PERFECTLY fine, her grandparents are quite insane if you ask me. Though stopping all work completely is sort of...overboard and lowering your grades won't do much to help either, I'd just ignore them and keep going at my own pace and wait for it all to blow over because I know that if I start pushing myself and obsessing over it too much, I'm going to go completely insane. I'd say if Tanya wasn't stubborn (which can be a very nice quality if in the right...ummm mind?) then she'd probably try too hard and end up not bringin her grades up then having a whole huge nervous breakdown and worry about what her grandparents will steal from her next. I think she's making a good decision, her grandparents need some parenting classes.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Starman @ Mar. 25 2005,5:15)]This isnt high enough for her grandparants, so they have only allowed her to watch the TV 3 hours a day and thye have banned her from the computer for a week
    I certainly hope you mean 3 hours a week, not 3 a day.

Not knowing Tanya's situation I can't say whether the grandparents are pushing her beyond her limits and risking burnout, or whether she's fully capable of straight As with little effort.

If I find I need to structure my kids' time, I'm not going to tell them they can't watch TV, or can't play on the computer; I'll just give them an allowance of personal time. It'll be up to them, within reason, what they spend it doing. The better they do at fulfilling family and academic obligations, the greater will be their personal time allowance.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I NEVER said that A's and B's aren't good enough! I feel that A's and B's are good grades just short of excellent. I did say that she is going about the wrong way. You don't just teach parents a lesson. THEN......
    Alpha jumped in with the talk about parents needing to justify their decisions. Thats what I was saying is totally wrong. It is my opinion that what he said is disrespectful and I as a parent would not tolerate it. I further am bothered by the fact that he so blatantly disrespects his parents in public making them look weak. Just my opinion though.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, to clarify, I am along the same lines as Joe, I think A's and B's are perfectly acceptable, and I am directing my conversation more at the others who think parents and kids should seeming be on the same decision making level. However, as I said in my first post, I simply don't buy "I can't make a B into an A" FlytrapGurl seems to be a pretty intelligent young lady, and I am sure if she approached her teachers and asked where she can show improvement, or if there is a special extra credit project or something she can do, that she can eek out what I am sure are a few decimal points in her grade to tip her into the A's for those classes. YOu know the old saying, works smarter not harder? Well, sometimes, you just have to work harder. her grandparents have put her into a position that apparently has no wiggle room, all were saying is rebellion is not the way to solve it, try and give them what they want, if you can, great, their pushing worked, if you can't, chalk it up to a charachter building experience and move on.

\"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am very very bad at sports........I am always told to do my absolute best which I always do, but I always get poor grades. I simply CANT do any better. For years my grandma and the rest of my family accused me of not trying and saying I could get better grades at P.E and sports, that really really hurt, as that isnt the truth at all and I was often crying about it.
    Same with all my other subjects, I am above average in everything, I would like to be higher and I try very very hard but I simply CANT DO ANY BETTER.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Tanya told me she already puts the maximum effort in ALL her work, in EVERY subject, but she just cant do any better. I dont see whats so difficult to understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Mar. 29 2005,1:41)]
    Quote[/b] (Starman @ Mar. 25 2005,5:15)]This isnt high enough for her grandparants, so they have only allowed her to watch the TV 3 hours a day and thye have banned her from the computer for a week
    I certainly hope you mean 3 hours a week, not 3 a day.
    no, 3 hours a day.......which isnt that much of a restriction but it means she will have to sacrifice some of her favorioute shows.

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast