What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tanya(flytrapgurl) has a message for you all

• Thread starter Starman
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 29 2005,7:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Depends on what kind of TV I watch.  I passed a college level field biology class without studying, without buying the text-book, because I watch lots of nature programming and do prairie restoration in my free time.  Plus, that's where my interests lie.  That really helps
true. I'm either watching the news or learning something (which IS kind of hard since there aren't many learning channels... and they're becoming crap pretty fast... darn all those building shows)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm almost 46 years old and doing quite well, thank you.  
She's older than you. You can't argue with her. you should respect her experience and knowledge because she has lived longer than you. lol
I like the shows on HGTV.  Right now, me and Dan can't afford cable, so while I'm visiting my p's, who do have cable..I'm soaking up the HGTV. Crappy garden advice notwithstanding, LOL~

Another show I really loved on HGTV was American Masters...all about people who are masters at their art. Ceramics, metal-working, wood-working, stained glass, etc.  Great show.  

I don't care if Tanya likes what we're doing on her behalf. BOO-YEAH, we're having us a discussion!  She doesn't have to read it~  

I'm smart because I read and have always read alot. I have struggled hard for each bit of somewhat useless crpa I have in my brain..it's not because I tested well, because I don't(I used to throw up before tests, and I test out average), and that's how how "smart" you are is judged in school.  

I have a natural affinity for botany.

April

I like some of the shows on HGTV (like gardening by the yard) but I don't watch it very often. I don't know why but I watch the food network more often yet I never make anything LOL. My favorite channel has to be national geographic though. I also like watching "next on cnn"
and I have a natural affinity for nature. I've loved nature ever since i was a little kid and it just keeps on growing :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 29 2005,8:29)]I like some of the shows on HGTV (like gardening by the yard) but I don't watch it very often. I don't know why but I watch the food network more often yet I never make anything LOL. My favorite channel has to be national geographic though. I also like watching "next on cnn"
and I have a natural affinity for nature. I've loved nature ever since i was a little kid and it just keeps on growing :p
I really like "Gardening By The Yard" even though he pooh-pooh's native plants.

i was responding to something you said in this thread, and if that does not have relevence...

now im pissed cause just wrote a leinght response for this and lost it all so forget it

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Mar. 29 2005,7:49)]FTG will not be happy about what's happening in her name!
I don't think this thread is about her, per se, anymore, but about parenting in general...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't care if Tanya likes what we're doing on her behalf. BOO-YEAH, we're having us a discussion!  She doesn't have to read it~

True, she doesn't have to read it but you don't need to be like that about it. FTG has been on this forum longer than you or me, don't be so rude man. (chick, whatever)
Besides, I am a parent and Alpha is a teen (I assume).......what are you besides instigating. I don't like some of Alphas opinions but hey, its a discussion/arguement - I don't have anything against him personally. Just conflict of opinion. Not to mention you said you're what....43? Aren't you a little old for BOO-YEAH's?

$IH

Well I think that Tanyas coming back tommorow anyway......and I bet my money the first thing she will read when she comes on here and into general disscussions is this.

I'm not being rude.  We're having a discussion...statement of fact. She doesn't have to read it...statement of fact.  I don't care if she likes it or not because a)I didn't start this discussion, and b)I'm defending her. If she wants to be upset about that, she can go ahead...it's no hair off my fanny.  I think she's a nice person.  Seems pretty level headed to me.  I'd be proud to have her as a daughter.  

The day I get too old for Boo-yeah, or what-ever, is the day I die.  I'm 45, almost 46 and I'm a "chick".  I'm not instigating anything...if I wanted to instigate, I would have been a lot nastier. It amuses me that when you're a certain age some people expect you're supposed to act a certain way. "If I'm
confused.gif
..I must
confused.gif
" I'm not a fan of conformity.

What are you trying to say?  If you're not a parent or a child your opinion is worthless?  Parenting is a thing some people choose to do. I chose not to.  Your choice is absolutely no better or more/less fulfilling or more/less worthwhile than mine.

My opinion is children are born entitled to a certain amount of respect, unless they later prove they aren't.  If a kid of mine got A's and B's and a 3.7 GPA and wanted to stay up an extra hour, I'd probably let them. If Tanya wants to be a vet, and her B's are in math and science, yes, she is going to have to bring those B's up to A's. It's hard to get into vet school.  That hasn't changed since I was in high school.  April

LOL! Man, her ears must REALLY been ringing!

Gotta love the age thing. BigCarnivourKid and I.... and probably every other baby-boomer thinks of ourselves as being perpetually youthful. Hence our respective signatures about being perpetually 18 and what his used to say about being cleverly disguised as an adult. Peter Pan is MY hero - and so is Dorian Grey!

In my head I'm 26. That's just the way it is.

I'm sure every generation says this.........But it's kind of funny to listen to today's kids. (I know, I have 3 of them) I grew up in the 70's and 80's well before the internet, playstations, cell phones and 100's of cable channels. If I watched 3 hours of TV in a week, let alone a day it was alot. In Montana, there was just so many things to do outside. I lived on my bike, I would ride it everwhere in town. I would ski every weekend in the winter hunt and fish every weekend outside of winter. I go to my kids' school now and can't believe how many elemetry age kids are overweight from lack of physical activity. When I grew up, we had 1 fat kid in school, he was the "fat kid". Now 25% of the kid's at my daughter's school are overweight. I feel for these kids because when they get to my age (mid 30's) they will be in a world of trouble with health issues and weight. Ok, I'm done ranting.

JJ

Soo sadly true. I see the same thing in the neighborhood and at my daughters school. When they do go outside they take a portable Playstation or Nintendo with them. I have a nephew that never goes anywhere without a portable game system.

Joe

Me and most of my friends(male friends) are like all physical. One of my friends though lives either behind a gun/bow hunting or in front of a game consol. He is by no means overweight because he is so obsessed with hunting, but he also knows just about EVERYTHING there is abou video games. It's an interesting situation, it's one extreme or the other! LOL I used to be obsessed with video games and the such... now the only portable thing I take with me is my Mp3 player. I love to push myself to do physically challenging things. Just recently I ran my absolute hardest in tennis for an hour and a half. I hit just as hard as I could physically hit without just plain treeing. I also ski as hard as I can... I actually just injured myself because I hit a jump to hard. Both of my bindings came off and I slid into one the poles that the snowguns are attached to.... I didn't stop... after I got over the shock and could walk without seering pain going through my leg, I went back out onto the slopes. I'm not one of those people that will stay down very long LOL. In my area actually there are not as many overweight people... everything revolves around sports AND video games.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 31 2005,12:43)]In my head I'm 26.  That's just the way it is.
LOL! Just 26? At least put yourself before the statistically female post-prime age interval (18->24)!

Nah, I liked 26. Not too young and stupid, not too old and decrepid. I'd even go for 30, LOL!

I blame the overweight thing on fast food and parenting... although not necessarily the parents themselves. It's this fast lifestyle we have. There have been studies showing that if kids have home cooked meals often, there is a MUCH greater chance of kids being healthy and not being overweight later in life than if they don't have home cooked meals.
Has anyone seen "supersize me"? fast food is also to blame (and "parenting" for setting a bad example and eating fast food so much). The portions nowdays are ridiculous.
I don't blame the fast food industry itself though. I blame society as a whole.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 31 2005,6:58)]... his used to say about being cleverly disguised as an adult....
It still says that! I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the paper my daughter wrote a few years ago in 5th(?) grade. It was titled "I am an only child with a younger brother" Guess who she was refering to as the "younger brother"

I forgot to write 'responsible'. Go, D. (alicia)e!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Mar. 31 2005,7:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 31 2005,6:58)]... his used to say about being cleverly disguised as an adult....
It still says that! I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the paper my daughter wrote a few years ago in 5th(?) grade. It was titled "I am an only child with a younger brother" Guess who she was refering to as the "younger brother"
I feel that way a lot. Not cause he is clueless in some things... mainly only computers... But he is ALWAYS picking at me. Mom has five children one of them is older than she though! LOL Whenever he starts picking he tells the children to take it outside.

Following this thread as it careens further off-topic has left me in a seriously devil's advocate kind of mood.  So I can't resist responding to my fellow graying people with their tales of youthful attitude.  It hurts to say it, but what a great thing it was that previous generations would grow up and act their age.  Because that's what created space for younger generations to grow and create something new.

But too many baby boomers are too self indulgent and refuse to get out of the way.  Look at the Rolling Stones, whose great days are as far back in history as Robert Johnson was when they started.  Christ, I just learned the Circle Jerks are still around.  How wrong is that?  Punk rebelled against decade old dinosaur bands, but now those punk bands are 25 years old and are suckling off dollars better spent on something fresh.

If our parents didn't grow up and start listening to easy listening and classical music, the Stones and Pistols wouldn't have found a gig.  I'm glad club owners and promoters couldn't earn bigger bucks by dusting off a has-been instead of hiring a might-become in 1963.  If you're a youthful 46, give up the swingset and the shows and let today's young have the same chance we had.

Back