What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tanya(flytrapgurl) has a message for you all

• Thread starter Starman
  • Start date
Herenthore, I must disagree. I love hanging out with people twice-3 times my own age(that's alot of people since all my friends parents are also inderectly my friends, and I'm only 15). It's fun to see a 30(no offense to those of you at or above 30) acting like and hanging out with me and my close friends. As for old bands... well they are outdated, and not part of the new music generation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As for old bands... well they are outdated, and not part of the new music generation.

A lot of them still rock though! Like Pink Floyd with " Dark Side of the Moon" in '73 and Anthrax with " Among the Living in '87. (should those 2 be mentioned in the same sentance?)

For the younger its cool but I gotta wonder about a 30+old that hangs out with kids. I mean, I know there are people like Jimscott who are young at heart but its creepy in todays world where crimes against children are rampent. I agree with Bruce on this one. I'm ol' fashioned just like my parenting even though I only turn 25 tomorrow.

Joe

Herenorthere,

So...once you're a certain age...you're supposed to give up music because you're too old?  Please tell me what that magical age is? Screw that.  

And yeah, Superimposed...every 30 year old who hangs out with kids is a child molester.  Right.  How about school counselors, boy scout leaders, 4-H leaders, policemen who do drug education, firemen who do fire education, teachers, etc.  Why, teachers must be the biggest pervs of all!  They're always around children!  Every adult who is not YOU or your children's mother must be a child molester.  Right.  

And herenorthere... When you're my age...you'll be locked into a 9 to 5 with a family and a mortgage and a comb-over and wondering what the H*LL happened to your dreams, I guarantee it.  I can generalise, too.  April

I have two jobs, one where I am surrounded (if you can call 1 or 2 people at 2Am surrounded) by professional adults, and another, where I work at a local pet store, where i am typically surrounded by teenagers. I like the teenagers, and I consider them 'work friends' but I would never hang out with them, I seek out those that are my own age mentally, and amazingly, sometimes, very rarely, a teenager will fit the bill, but their life is so different they still don't become a part of my life in anything other than aquaintence.

I can also attest that a fast food lifestyle and lack of general movement is costing our youth, I think I was on the crest of this wave, the internet became a true reality 9for geeks like me) while I was still in highschool, I spent hours on the Prodigy Network and a few other early bloomers. My parents, (in one of their few mistakes) never let me handle very much money or manage my own savings account, so when I finally got out on my own, I went absolutely nuts, ate out all the time, and did other stupid stuff... now, that wasn't why I gained weight (I lifted weights heavily in HS and some in college, but a back injury forced me to stop (until recently!
smile.gif
) I kept eating like I was supporting a ton of muscle, but over a period of years, that muscle became flab, then fat, and I blew up to over 400 lbs... I have gotten down to a reasonable weight twice in the last 5 years, it's a constant battle between schedule (working 60 to 80 hour weeks) and what I truly believe to be an addiction to fast food, not just that it's tasty but that it is so easy to get.

The last Month my wife and I have been making a concerted effort to prepare our meals at home, health concious meals that include a ton of veggies and lean meats, and I have actually lost 18 lbs in 3 weeks... without exercise, just by cutting out the fast food, which I now only eat about once or twice a week when thos event's just totally prevent a healthy meal. I have however now stashed protien bars and shakes everywhere I go, whether it is a friends house, one of my jobs, family, in my truck, you name it.. knowing is not half the battle, knowing and preparing is. Next week I start lifting hard core again. I have made a promise to everyone I know (I'll make it to you too) I will not be fat when I am 30. As of today, I have 2 months, 20 days to achieve that goal, and I only need to lose about 70 lbs.
smile_h_32.gif
I have done it before, I can do it again, and will keep it off this time. I wasted my 20's with this gut, I am going to enjoy my 30's.

So, on topic (somewhat) moral of the story. Your responsible for your own actions, I figured out Fast Food was bad for me long ago, but I didn't take appropriate action to cut it out of my life. I am doing so now, oh, and if you eat, and your still hungry, wait 30 minutes, and contrary to my parents admonitions, it's a good habbit to always leave a little of everything on your plate. Don't ever feel like you have to finish it.

Which brings me back to my earlier points alpha, I don't think Kids need to be mindless drones, and I never said that. I was taking issue solely with the level of respect given, nothing else. And as far as Tanya goes, pointing out that the brute force method (more studying) is not the best way per say, that the road less traveled (asking for extra credit) can have nice results. If a good student asks for it, they usually get it, as opposed to a bad student trying to salvage the term.
smile.gif

Aprihl, Congrats on getting your GED. Shows a lot of gumption to go and get it after such a long break. (And I absolutely suck at math too, I much prefer an artful solution to a problem than the logical rule bound solution. Who cares that you got the answer if the work itself isn't a masterpiece!) I will say, that all I have accomplished in math, being bad at it makes the successes that much more sweet.

oh, And Alpha, it's not that I wasn't trying, I wasn't being given the opportunity to try. I suffer(ered?) from ADD, and Disgraphia (much like dislexia with numbers and equations getting screwed up 2 + 2 = 22 int he mind, crap like that) the answer was not to slow me down, which is what the school was doing, but to put the pressure on, that is where i blossomed, and still do, light a fire under my hind quarter, and I will do a 4 man teams 6 months of work in 10 hours.
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

YEAH, thats what I said. Except NO not really. FIRST of all, I wouldn't mention the Boy Scout Leaders right now cause well..........ya know. Secondly, nobody attacked you! Whats your deal and whats with the over-drama? Generally I would say the people you listed don't hang out with kids in the sense of the word that most people use. I wouldn't consider people that are teaching anything to be "hangin out" and I don't know about anyone else but none of my teachers hung out with me or anyone I've ever known cause well......theres a such thing as professionalism. Yopu don't go hangout with your students cause .................YEAH! It looks odd and is considered improper conduct. Don't be **** how do police even fit into this conversation?

I'll tell ya right now, If your more than 10 yrs older than my kids and wanna hang out with them, you gotta prove to me that your intentions are genuine and I still wanna know why you don't hang out with people your own age. After all most people can get atleast 1 friend their own age and if they can't then why.

I've got children and I watch the news and I see kids stolen everyday and molested, killed, raped, whatever and guess what - I'm gonna generalize here again - they are older than the kids taken and "befiended them cause the kids think its cool that an adult wants to hang out with them.

We can be real here, and we can be dramatic.........whats it gonna be?

BTW, Jimscott I didn't direct ANY statement at you and I'm sure as a father your aware of what I'm sayin.
smile_m_32.gif

Joe

My devil's advocate perspective is that middle aged people need to get out of the way and let authentically young people have their day.  I say devil's advocate perspective because I'm not entirely sure I believe it myself.  But I think I do and, as a soon-to-be 44 year old, I have some experience.

It doesn't mean I'll get rid of all those records I so slowly accumulated.  But I do try to avoid acting interested in my daughter's Avril Lavigne CDs and try to limit how frequently I say Chrissie Hynde was better.

Kids need adults who will try to fix something or referee a squabble or answer a question.  Not hang out with them.  When I was a kid, half the parents were leading kids around for Halloween and the other half were at home handing out candy.  Now lots head off in expensive costumes to convince each other how young they truly are at adults only Halloween parties.  That's sad.

Joe: No offense taken! Yeah, I understand. One treads a thin line in today's society, especially if you are a guy and on our suspicious internet, when you befriend a person young enough to be your child. Trouble is, for the few creeps out there, there are a bazillion more people paying for it. Difficult to know whether one is being perceived as friend, mentor, or creep.

Music: Still listen to New Wave, Disco, British Invasion, Motown, and a few others. Also familiar with today's stuff.

April: Comb-over? LOL! Not me-ith!!! Nothing ever changed, other than a few gray ones.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I kept eating like I was supporting a ton of muscle, but over a period of years, that muscle became flab, then fat

Muscle does not convert to fat. It shrinks without constant use, becomes ... not-toned, out of shape, and finnaly shrinks - because if u dont use the mucle mass u built up, then why is your bodey feuling it?

Well, this has turned into a fabulous classic for infinite TF remembrance. Good job.

I don't know what was said in the last 10 pages, because I chose not to waste three hours of my life that I'll never get back reading it. So I hope this post covers what has gone down in this topic, and, if not, say what you must to me after you read this post.

None of you KNOW my grandparents. They're old-fashioned, ignorant, racist, and they think they can get respect by shoving people around, and that is not the way it's gonna work with me. It never has worked and it never will work. They need to listen to me, hear me out, respect me as a person, no matter what their opinions are, and they need to at least TRY to understand me and what I'm saying, but they don't. They assume that just because they're older than me, that means they know everything about everything and that they're always right and that I don't know crap about crap and that I have no right to make a point and that they don't have to hear me out or try to understand me, and they think their fascist methods will solve all the problems. I'm homeschooled. I can't talk to my teachers or ask about extra credit. I do my best and I maintain a usual 3.6-3.8 GPA, and that's not gonna change. You cannot do better than your best. Your best is your best. I study what I need to, when I need to. They have this preconceived notion that just because I don't have a 4.0 GPA, that means that everything in my life that doesn't have something to do with studying is interfering with my grades. When I get done with school at, say, 1PM instead of 3PM, my grandfather thinks I skipped something or I "didn't do enough", when the real fact is that I got up a little earlier and started a little earlier that day. I can't just "study". It's not that freakin' simple. I need to know exactly WHY I'm studying, WHAT to study, WHEN to study, and that's the way it works, therefore I can only study when my on-screen teachers DICTATE what pages, what chapters, when, to study. I can't just randomely study five 400+ page textbooks. And taking away computer or most of my TV timeframe is NOT going to make me study more. When they did that, it only made me more stubborn and defiant, and no, I did NOT study any more that I usually do. Nothing changed. I watched TV or worked out in the hours I would usually be on here.

The way Dino decribed what was going down made it sound different than it actually is. What happened was, I got one bad grade on one quiz. Like, 80-something. It was grammar, for God's sake. It's not my best subject. I didn't get "worse", it just got harder. My skill level never changed. So we got into an argument, and my grandfather banned me from the computer for a week, which didn't really faze me, because he's done it before.

And now my grandfather suddenly declared that he wants me to call him and my grandmother "sir" and "ma'am". Now, that wouldve worked in a normal, non-dysfunctional situation. But, as grateful as I am for all they've given me, I'm not going to respect somebody to that extent when they give me no respect at all and shoot down everything I do and say. Since I refused every time he tried to make me do it, he said I couldn't go horseback riding this weekend. Fine. More money saved up for next weekend. No matter what they do, this is not going to happen. I'm stubborn to the bitter end, and apparently it's hard for them to understand that. Respect me, I'll respect you. Push me around, disrespect me and shoot down everything I believe, say and do because you look down your nose at everyone who does anything different than you do, I'm not gonna respect you. That's the way it has to be. Honestly.

Good to have you back. I agree respect to a double edge sword. Good that you are standing up for youself too.

Glad to see you back. How's your homeschooling done? I didn't know there'd be grades.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ April 01 2005,5:45)]Glad to see you back. How's your homeschooling done? I didn't know there'd be grades.
If you want to go to college you'd better have grades. LOL I know I'm a homeschooler too. Welcome back FTG. The last ten pages have been for the most part everything about you and your grandparents, to Parenting 101, and how adults over 30 should or should not hang out with the younger generation, oh yea and childhood obeisety(sp). That sums it up in a nutshell. LOL

Well, it's exactly like public school. They send you boxes of DVDs, and on each DVD is a different class. There's English, Math, History and Science (there used to be Bible, but that's only for the first half of the year), and there's a class and a teacher for each one. I have three textbooks for English, one for Math, one for History and two for Science (Health first semester, Science second semester). There are quizzes, which are graded but not sent in, and tests, which are sent in. And there's homework assignment at the end of each class, I write it down, and I do it all after all the classes. At the end of each grading period, they send you a report card with the normal grade layout, based on your quiz and test grades. And now that A Beka (the program) is registered with the Florida school board, I have to go to this place and take an achievement test (same thing as the FCAT) every year between school years. I don't get really long holiday breaks, since I'm always a few days behind, so I only get Christmas Eve and Christmas off (which is redundant, because Christmas is almost always on a Saturday anyway) and Halloween and that's about it. I get summer break from about May to August or September. This is more or less how it's been since 1st grade, although this year and last year are the only years we used DVDs instead of VHS. It's getting really boring, and to add to that, I have no problem with them being a Christian school, since I am a Christian, but I do have a problem with their opinionated, strictly Creationist way of teaching, which forces their opinions and beliefs on the students, teaching us that and nothing else. I honestly don't think religion should have anything to do with education, because nobody knows whether Creation or evolution happened, or anything in between, so I don't think either should be taught, since both are theories which can never be proven or known.

Anyway, I'm going to Astronaut High next school year. For several reason, including A: homeschooling is really expensive, and 2: it bores me. But it sucks that my best friend is going to Titusville High, at the other end of Titusville, because she lives closer to it. I have to go to Astronaut because it's literally about half a mile from the house. My mom and (I think) my two uncles went to Astronaut. Maybe some of their old teachers might still be there.. it was only 20-something years ago.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]wait 30 minutes, and contrary to my parents admonitions, it's a good habbit to always leave a little of everything on your plate. Don't ever feel like you have to finish it.
yes! that REALLY annoys me. I don't care (well I do but you know what I mean) if there are starving children in ethiopia because me eating that is not going to do a thing for them! it's just going to make me fat.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They're old-fashioned, ignorant, racist, and they think they can get respect by shoving people around, and that is not the way it's gonna work with me. They need to listen to me, hear me out, respect me as a person, no matter what their opinions are, and they need to at least TRY to understand me and what I'm saying
I hate it when you try to say something for 10 pages and someone else comes in and says it in once sentence better than you ever could. LOL.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now, that wouldve worked in a normal, non-dysfunctional situation. But, as grateful as I am for all they've given me, I'm not going to respect somebody to that extent when they give me no respect at all and shoot down everything I do and say

lol. she said everything I was trying to say.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I honestly don't think religion should have anything to do with education, because nobody knows whether Creation or evolution happened, or anything in between, so I don't think either should be taught, since both are theories which can never be proven or known.
I agree with the first part but not the second. they're not both theories. one is a SCIENTIFIC theory (if theories shouldn't be allowed on public schools then there would be no mention of atoms, gravity, the sun being in the center, etc) and the other is religion. (sorry... just had to say that)

....We know about gravity. *falls* See? And we know the sun is the center of the universe. They're not theories anymore. And Evolution may have a whole bunch of stuff backing it up, but, just like Creation and anything anybody else might believe about the origin of life, IT'S ALL THEORY. Nobody was there to see it and tell about it today. There is no proof of exactly what happened. If you're a Christian, you believe you're going to Heaven someday, and you know you'll know all about the mysteries of the universe and exactly what happened in the beginning when you get there. And if you're not a Christian, you believe there's no life after death, so you'll never know exactly what happened in the beginning anyway. So, no matter what you believe, there's no use in boiling up Cold War II about it anyway, since you'll either find out in Heaven or you'll never know.

EDIT: But thanks for agreeing with the other stuff.

'NOTHER EDIT: Oh, hey... this calls for an America (The Book) quote:

"It's been hundreds of millions of years since man first made his presence known on planet Earth¹, . . .

¹Or six thousand years, if you prefer to ignore all rational scientific discovery."

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We know about gravity. *falls* See? And we know the sun is the center of the universe. They're not theories anymore
we also know evolution happens. they are still "Just" theories. you can NEVER prove that all matter in the universe has gravity.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]just like Creation and anything anybody else might believe about the origin of life, IT'S ALL THEORY.
evolution has NOTHING to do with the origin of life! sheesh! how many times do I have to repeat the same thing? I haven't said my own name so many times! lol
there has been observed speciation events. that's evolution.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And if you're not a Christian, you believe there's no life after death, so you'll never know exactly what happened in the beginning anyway.
jews, muslims, etc...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]we also know evolution happens. they are still "Just" theories. you can NEVER prove that all matter in the universe has gravity.

I didn't say I could. I meant that it's a fact that it EXISTS.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]evolution has NOTHING to do with the origin of life! sheesh! how many times do I have to repeat the same thing? I haven't said my own name so many times! lol
there has been observed speciation events. that's evolution.

Dude. I was disputing with my school, not you. I never said I didn't believe evolution occurs.

Lol, Finch, I never said muscle turns into flab and then to fat, i was speaking loose terms, If you want to have a discussion on muscle catabolization, the process of forming and releasing the contents of adiopse tissues, I would be happy to discuss it elsewhere. But in plain english, muscle that is not used weakens, if you are fueling that muscle with thousands of calories a day, but it no longer exists, your going to get chubby. Plain and simple.
smile.gif

FlytrapGurl, I am glad you are back.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dude. I was disputing with my school, not you. I never said I didn't believe evolution occurs
if you say evolution is just a theory (and creationism is a theory), you're messing with me too :p cuz you're not only messing with evolution, you're messing with science.

Back