What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool cp's at lowes

I'm visiting my parents in Florida, so, since it's Spring here, I went to Lowes to see what I could see Carnivore-wise.

Wow! There were all these CP's there.  I bought a bunch! I bought some for LauraZ5, too...Here's what I got...

2 Drosera (no variety, $4.97 ea.)
2 Sarracenia X Judith Henkle @ $8.00 apiece(or something like that, mom threw away the labels)
2 Darlingtonia Californica, 1 at $8.00, one @ $4.97
1 Ping-a-ling, or whatever the heck they're called, @ $4.97.

Good deals!  See, there is something good about Florida.  
smile_m_32.gif

Hay Hellz here,
u r lucky, ur lowes has CP's in it...
a word of caution, Darlingtonia are hard to maintain, unless kept cool (meaning the roots).
If it is a hot day, Use Icecubes (of pure water ofcourse) and topwater regularly
Hellz

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 28 2005,5:22)]I'm visiting my parents in Florida, so, since it's Spring here, I went to Lowes to see what I could see Carnivore-wise.

Wow! There were all these CP's there.  I bought a bunch! I bought some for LauraZ5, too...Here's what I got...

2 Drosera (no variety, $4.97 ea.)
2 Sarracenia X Judith Henkle @ $8.00 apiece(or something like that, mom threw away the labels)
2 Darlingtonia Californica, 1 at $8.00, one @ $4.97
1 Ping-a-ling, or whatever the h*ll they're called, @ $4.97.

Good deals!  See, there is something good about Florida.  
smile_m_32.gif
April, coincidently, with a half day at work on Friday, I went to Lowes as well. They had numerous platic cubes, containing an unidentified tropical pitcher plant (ventricosa? sanguinea?), D. adelae, and VFT's. There were other individual post that had a Judith Hindle Sarracenia, P. primuliflora, S. rubra, and a couple of Darlingtonia californica (cobra lily). I picked up a cobra lily, for now my third attempt at keepin this one alive.

cool roots is the rule for Darlingtonia but there are exceptions. mine is grown in pure peat in a tray of "stagnant" warm water and it is doing wonderfully(pictures of it will be posted in the Sarr forum sometime tonite) dont let these guys scare you off of Darlingtonia, just expect to possibly kill a one or two, but hey thats what tissue culture is for right?

My Darlingtonia from Lowes (two of them) are growing like weeds in pure LFS in a self-watering pot. One just produced a new plant from a stolon. From what I've been reading, well-oxygenated roots are probably more important than cool roots. They often seem healthiest when there's moving water flowing through their medium, which, yes, tends to be cool, but also is constantly replenishing the oxygen. People who have trouble with them might want to try a looser medium and see if it helps. My success may be a side effect of the materials I chose... LFS, which is very airy, and a self-watering pot, which has a large opening in the bottom through which air can enter the medium.

I haven't really experimented with anything so far (my plants are indoors under lights so they aren't exposed to extreme heat). This would be my suggestion to someone who has a lot of plants and wants to experiment. Put two plants outside in the sun. Put one in a typical peat/perlite/whatever mix (in a tray) and water with pure water from the fridge once or twice a day. Put the other in LFS or some other airy mix (also in a tray), with an aquarium air stone buried in the bottom connected to a gentle air pump. And of course don't water with cold water at all. I'm curious which one would do better. Maybe I'll try it this summer.

Rattler and all...

Thanks for the advice!  I'm not scared of the Darlingtonia because I don't know enough to be scared.  All the plants came packed in these plastic cubes. Even though there was plenty of condensation in all of them, some of the medium looked a bit dry, so I carefully watered them with spring water. They seem okay, though the drosera were really pretty with the dew on their little leaf hairs.  I opened their little terrariums and put them on my P's sun porch that gets filtered eastern light.  I don't know how I'm going to get the top back on the droseras though, they are big and healthy, and I understand you're not supposed to touch the leaves.  

Some of them are packed in spaghnum moss that appears to be growing, and some are packed in a mixed medium. The larger ones.  The Ping-a-ling is packed in spaghnum that is alive.  

I think I'll be stopping at Lowe's stores all the way home!  

Should I re-pot them?

Love your signature, Rattler.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]cool roots is the rule for Darlingtonia but there are exceptions. mine is grown in pure peat in a tray of "stagnant" warm water and it is doing wonderfully(pictures of it will be posted in the Sarr forum sometime tonite) dont let these guys scare you off of Darlingtonia,
agreed. I've kept some (from lowes) and had it like you just described. what killed them was the dormancy. too wet so they rotted
smile_h_32.gif

ping-a-ling!!!
confused.gif

April, unless there is something wrong with the media, it is probably best to wait before repotting. I has a cube last year that was bone dry. The media was like sawdust and the VFT & D. adelae were buried. That was an emergency situation. It is best to get them acclimated first before possibly putting them into shock.

Yep, Ping-a-ling. Can't remember the real name.

I'd bet ) bottom dollar it is a P. primuliflora!
smile_n_32.gif

yes about 90% chance its P. primuliflora but i have purchased a P. moranensis hybrid from either Lowes or Home Depot. a pic will give us a better idea

Ping-a-ling = Pinguicula

April...you might want to reconsider the spring water.  Spring water actually isn't pure...it has some salts in it.  CPs do best with pure water which means either rain water, distilled water or reverse osmosis water.  Some grocery stores now sell R.O. water by the gallon from a big dispenser and its pretty cheap.

If you use tap or spring water, over time minerals and salts can build up in your planting media which will affect your plants.  Spring water might seem "pure" to us humans but to plants its still got impurities.

Congrats on your new plants.  
smile.gif
BTW...you'll know if its a P. primuliflora if you see baby plantlets growing off the tips. That's a dead giveaway for prims.

Rattler, I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and try to post it. Thanks for your help.

Ping-a-ling? What, more Lowe's lingo? It's probably Pinguicula primuliflora, because that's always what they were when I got them. They almost always have Drosera adelae, Nepenthes ventricosa, Dionaea muscipula 'Common' or sometimes (only once, in Viera) 'Dente', Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle', rubra and purpurea (typical or venosa) and Darlingtonia californica. I tried Darlingtonia many times, but it never worked out, because it got way too hot in the summer and I can't keep it inside, because the only way to do that is by keeping it in the fluorescent tank, but I have N. ventricosa, D. adelae and P. primuliflora in there, so that tank's strictly non-dormancy.

you may want to flush the plants with pure water. More than likely they were watered with tap while they were in the store

Well, the Ping I gave to Laura is about ready to bloom, and it looks like it will be a white bloom.  The darlingtonia I kept I will re-pot this weekend in LFS.  The Sarracenia I will re-pot this weekend in a mixture that Laurazone5's son mixed up all by himself.  

They are all very cramped in their little terrariums, and there is no drainage, either.  Don't know that much about carnivores, but I do know about plants, and no drainage is usually a bad thing.    

Now, I just have to figger out a way to prevent the dang cats from eating them after I re-pot them.

Oh, yeah, the flushing thing. Definitely flush out the soil with a bunch of CP-worthy water. I do that with every plant I buy.

Back