What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool cp's at lowes

If it's pinguicula primuliflora, the flower should be a light purple or purple -pinkish. White flowers are more in p. ionantha's color range, and it isn't likely to be the p. ionantha. Let me know the color when it is opened and set. I am curious.

I would bet Bugweed's bottom dollar that it is a P. primuliflora!

Well, there was another Pinguicula
smile_m_32.gif
in the display that was in bloom, it had a definitely white flower.  I didn't buy it because it had been uprooted and easily rolled around in it's little terrarium.  I guess I should have bought it..because even being out of it's medium..it bloomed.  April

You're not going to believe this, but I have had a P. primuliflora that started out with a white bloom - and then turned light purple / iris. That is not to say that what you saw is something different than a primuliflora, but that the possibility exists. A lot of those butterworts, looking at their leaves, look either like a primuliflora or a moranensis. Flowers, of course, are the best determinant. One characteristic of a primuliflora, that very few butterworts display, is the production of plantlets on older leaves. Time will tell. Might it look like this plant?

123.jpg

April, If it was indoors, then that could account for the white flower. The lighting inside a Lowe's, isn't the same as direct sun, and its effect on plant/flower coloration. I would like to see a pic of this flower opening in full sun. P. ionantha has a purple center in the throat. P. ionantha is an ESA listed plant, and hasn't been TC'ed that I know of. If anyone has any information on any TC'ed p. ionantha's, let me know. I could use some more.

Every primuliflora (err... P. primuliflora... must avoid pingman's red marker
smile.gif
) flower I've had so far has started out white, and then the petals slowly got more and more purple around the edges.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Every primuliflora (err... P. primuliflora... must avoid pingman's red marker )
I don't have a red marker but it's P. primuliflora
lol!
biggrin.gif

Strange. Mine have always been light purple. They grow in full sun, no shade.

I bought two plants. One started out white and ended up light purple. the other was light purple from start to finish. Awhile back I initiated a topic, asking about this phenomenon. I'll have to dig it up.

jimscotscoot.. wow. That is easily the biggest pic I have ever witnessed in the history of TF and PFT.

Somehow that one eluded resizing. Oh well.

Jimscott..your kitty is upside-down. Did you give him some catnip?

I went to the local Lowe's here in IL, and it was dismal. Dismal, I tell you! Well, there were mostly some great looking fly-traps, really large and healthy looking. There was one Darlingtonia, and one Ping.

There were these small terrariums with a sundew, a nepenthes and one other cp all jammed together. $9. They had all been up-ended, it looked like. I asked if they were going to get any more in this season, and was told no.

I may go back next weekend and get some fly-traps. Some of them looked really good. April

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ April 10 2005,11:48)]Jimscott..your kitty is upside-down.  Did you give him some catnip?
I have this friend in Colorado.... and my avatar is linked to his hosting site.... and as a belated April Fools thing.... he rotated it 180 degrees. Gotta love these forums!

LOL

Proly aught to put him back on his feet before all the blood ushes to his head.
smile_n_32.gif

Too late! Now I've got someone blowing me in for cruelty!

Jimscott..just gently turn him over so he's on his feet. Kitties have tiny, carrot cube sized brains, and the influx of blood to his head may have done him a world of good.

then give him some more catnip.

LOL! Well I think my accomplice is soon considering reversing the process. April is almost over. (the month that is!)

Back